Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Jun 14, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #2,371 of 7,497
Jun 14, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #2,372 of 7,497
Thank you gentlemen. Now I find my sanity returning. :darthsmile:
You can always let your sanity go on holiday…your sanity needs a rest 🤪

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #2,373 of 7,497
You can always let your sanity go on holiday…your sanity needs a rest 🤪

This hobby is insanely beautiful. One of life's joy and bliss is listening to music with a lovely sounding setup. My sanity can go on a holiday but the gear cannot go on a holiday. :relaxed:

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #2,374 of 7,497
Do this experiment for 2 weeks. Listen to a warm, cosy setup in that period then return to a bright setup. Your first reaction will be like Jack.

tumblr_0307820342ad3c9afc6c7a8c23228d4c_936f2d3b_500.gif

Jun 14, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #2,375 of 7,497
Do this experiment for 2 weeks. Listen to a warm, cosy setup in that period then return to a bright setup. Your first reaction will be like Jack.

... in one of his rare moments of sanity... well relatively speaking.

Edit: I think he must have been listening to the Brimars :scream:.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #2,376 of 7,497
... in one of his rare moments of sanity... well relatively speaking.

Edit: I think he must have been listening to the Brimars :scream:.

I am tempted to counter with a video of Jack telling you this about the Brimars - 'You can't handle the truth'. :jecklinsmile:

But instead I'm listening to 'The Ultimate Demonstration Disc' by Chesky which I have a CD, one of the audiophile CDs I bought from the days of guess what - car audio competition. :relaxed: I miss the Dynaudio Esotec 242gt splits, Morel Ultimo sub, Audison BitTen and Hertz HDP 1 & 4 amps in the Honda Accord Euro.

This disc is to test your system for transparency, depth, midrange purity and all the other mumbo jumbo.

I'm testing out my system now of Destiny with LCD4 and Oblivion with He1000se with Roon / Tidal HiFi and Yggdrasil assisting.

But I'm missing my car sound system. It's a stealth install with concealed false flooring. In the boot, only the sub is shown with custom enclosure. Dynaudio splits in the front splits location and doors dynamat a ton. Sold the car, got a new car and the gear still stored away in boxes. I need to get it installed professionally again. See the fire extinguisher? That's a prerequisite for car audio comp. :rolling_eyes:

Honda Accord Euro.JPG

Jun 14, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #2,377 of 7,497
Bitcowen is patent now. Hey Bill sell me some of your 6SL7 collection.
Sell my tubes? Interesting concept, but I'll have to study up on it some and get back to you. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jun 14, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #2,378 of 7,497
An apt description of DarkVoice ownership…?
But that's missing the point of having a DV. The stock DV has a lot of flaws but still makes music for $200. Personally, I'd rather just quit audio than listen to a $200 solid state amp. :smile: The fun with the DV is adding a couple hundred $ in parts and making it a decent sounding amp for $400. A tinker toy, as it were. Looking at some of the gems displayed in this thread, I'd never go near one of them with a soldering iron...too costly to make a mistake, and almost sacrilege to the art and an insult to the designer's intentions. Hacking up a DV doesn't fall into either camp...worst case you're out a couple hundred bucks, and the design can so easily be improved it's almost an insult NOT to modify it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #2,379 of 7,497
Jun 14, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #2,380 of 7,497
Sell my tubes? Interesting concept, but I'll have to study up on it some and get back to you. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Why do you want so many 6SL7 for? Here I will have Odyssey soon with pistons ready to fire. Just pass over one of each brand of 6SL7 and I'll do an unbiased review of those tubes. Having said that I'm a little biased toward Tung Sol before they were sold to Sencore.

Jun 14, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #2,381 of 7,497
Jun 14, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #2,382 of 7,497
Well Bcowen, I'll follow your addiction. 6SL7 are cheap and plentiful on superbay. Just my luck. Must thank Tomas for selecting this driver.

Jun 14, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #2,384 of 7,497
Bcowen what do you hear different between a 6sn7 and a 6sl7 aside from the gain? I'm asking you because I have a hunch you know tubes.
Hard to say really. They were used in different amps that couldn't swap between the two. Was I hearing the tube or the amp?

But given what I heard from various 6SL7's in the same amp, I too like the Tung Sols. The Sylvania 5691 (likely made by RCA) is very good as are the gray glass RCA's. The National Unions are good but not great, the RCA clear glass is pretty meh, I didn't much care for the Tungsrams (somewhat strident and bereft harmonically), and it could well be the 6SL7 that started my loathing of GE's. Yup, that bad. :smile: I never played around much with the European equivalents, so that's mostly unchartered territory for me. And these were used in a couple speaker amps and a phono stage, so mileage may vary in a headphone amp.

Funny thing (or maybe unfunny thing?) is that 20+ years ago when I bought most of these the 6SL7 was in abundant use and prices were tit-for-tat with 6SN7's. I probably paid more (even then) than you can buy them for now as they've fallen out of mainstream favor it seems. Good for you though, as you can get some very nice sounding tubes for way less money.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #2,385 of 7,497
But that's missing the point of having a DV. The stock DV has a lot of flaws but still makes music for $200. Personally, I'd rather just quit audio than listen to a $200 sold state amp. :smile: The fun with the DV is adding a couple hundred $ in parts and making it a decent sounding amp for $400. A tinker toy, as it were. Looking at some of the gems displayed in this thread, I'd never go near one of them with a soldering iron...too costly to make a mistake, and almost sacrilege to the art and an insult to the designer's intentions. Hacking up a DV doesn't fall into either camp...worst case you're out a couple hundred bucks, and the design can so easily be improved it's almost an insult NOT to modify it. :stuck_out_tongue:
…an audio rite of passage…😄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back