Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Jun 1, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #2,281 of 7,484
Morning coffee with Eternity. Yeap, I know, it looks like evening because here it rains for a week.

coffee.jpg

No problem, when it rains, we listen to music.

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #2,282 of 7,484
I only quoting this because I love the turntable. 😊

I love that turntable too. I feel it resolves better than Yggdrasil but both are my pet love. Only my tube amps surpass that love. Now thinking about Odyssey. Bought many gear this year but Odyssey is the most anticipated gear for me. I await Tomas to do his magic.

Jun 1, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #2,283 of 7,484
I updated first page with the new amp pics but have to read up on design and what led up to this...Is it more Old school design choices? Who did this to him? Lol

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #2,284 of 7,484
I updated first page with the new amp pics but have to read up on design and what led up to this...Is it more Old school design choices? Who did this to him? Lol
If you are interested in the history, there is a childish story wrote here about the first Eternity. There is also a thread for tube rolling which describes a little bit more of the new models here. This is the information I was able to gather and summarize.

Jun 1, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #2,285 of 7,484
Hey Maxx!
None of my standard amps are old school design. The new ones, Infinity and Eternity are SE versions of the Oblivion/Citadel amps. With Infinity being the more powerful one of the two.
What @UntilThen is talking about is a custom build I'm doing for him. That amp has nothing to do with my normal offerings. It's a completely custom SET amp, using EL11 (with optional 6SL7) drivers, KT88 outputs and GZ34 rectifier. Old school design with big, heavy, expensive OT's in series feed. This amp is built to give UT some contrast to his Oblivion!
:)

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #2,286 of 7,484
I only quoting this because I love the turntable. 😊
Haha.. give me the good old CD anyday!

So far, the only solid state amp that I would consider is a PassLab, BUT, I still would never buy a solid state amp.
Absolutely right!
Haha I'm glad he stopped by.
I myself also could not resist and did "mod" mine, but just for the "unobtanium" tube selection (Mullard 6AT6 drivers & Mazda 6DR6 outputs) and my own choice of first stage input caps(!) inside.
😋
I didn't think for a moment you could resist that lol!

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #2,287 of 7,484
You have SOME reading to do, I've been following on this thread and even then I found it difficult to keep up :).

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #2,288 of 7,484
Hey Maxx!
None of my standard amps are old school design. The new ones, Infinity and Eternity are SE versions of the Oblivion/Citadel amps. With Infinity being the more powerful one of the two.
What @UntilThen is talking about is a custom build I'm doing for him. That amp has nothing to do with my normal offerings. It's a completely custom SET amp, using EL11 (with optional 6SL7) drivers, KT88 outputs and GZ34 rectifier. Old school design with big, heavy, expensive OT's in series feed. This amp is built to give UT some contrast to his Oblivion!
:)

That's right. The only old school design in Tomas's portfolio would be Odyssey. Everything he does so far has been new school. :)

I wanted to create 'Berlin' based on all my Telefunken EL11 and EL12 spez tubes that I've been keeping for a few years. Berlin because these are German tubes and 'Takes My Breath Away' is the song that inspires it. :relaxed:

But then I got hold of Elekit TU-8200 and I was impressed with the power tubes used in this amp. KT88, KT77, EL34, EL12 spez, KT66, 807, 6550.....

Hence Berlin became Odyssey. It will be more than just EL11 and EL12 spez.

Was this a gamble? No. Even though I like Oblivion's tone, I also like what the Elekit TU-8200 produce. After I listen to Auris Nirvana at the shop with LCD4 and Susvara for 2 hours, I knew that an old school SET amp has to be in my music room too.

Then whilst waiting, Destiny arrived. It's an old school design McChanson 300b amp. Just love this amp tone. Now I'm just wondering and I recall Tomas saying that he will do a parafeed new school 300b for himself as an experiment. How will this differ from Destiny? An answer that I will never find out because I intend to retire from the amp world after Odyssey. After this amp comes home, that will be it. UntilThen will become TheEnd. :rolling_eyes: I will take up painting ! Monet !!!

Water-Lilies-Nympheas.1-by-Claude-Monet.jpg

Jun 2, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #2,291 of 7,484
Jun 2, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #2,292 of 7,484
Just come across this, the theme tune for this thread:

Jun 2, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #2,295 of 7,484
This is so coincidental. I was just browsing Youtube clips of the Altec 604-8G. Then I thought about you...

This is the only decent video clip of that model.

That vid shows them off well! This is my dream speaker this week. Great Plains Audio makes a contemporary version of the legendary 604 driver, the owner is a former Altec engineer, people say the GPA version is even better than the original. For the driver and crossover, it'll cost you around $2,000 USD each plus the cost for a pair of custom cabinets that weigh 100lbs each :joy: oh and a house upgrade too, at least for me, these babies gotta breathe. This is why it is a dream speaker LOL maybe someday. 100dB/W though, great tube speakers :) maybe Zu Audio is the better choice after all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back