Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Apr 29, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #2,116 of 7,498
Nitpicker. They have disappointed me never. That better? :smile:

Actually, that's not totally true. When I first got them, they were SO bad sounding I almost put them right back in the shipping boxes and sent them back. Shrill, piercing treble, no bass to speak of, and overall just awful. I've yet to hear any speaker that benefited as much from break-in as these. The crossover mods elevated them, but did not totally change them like the initial break-in did.
Interesting that the current version has a redesigned crossover:
https://tektondesign.com/product/full-range-speakers/full-towers/lore/#color

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #2,117 of 7,498
Is that why the cart went into lake? The lesson here is never tap your foot on the pedal when driving unless you have thump controls.

He obviously has cruise control on the cart, you must have given him the deluxe version by mistake :relaxed:.

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #2,118 of 7,498
I love them, actually. Not sure if it's because of the sound, or because they toss all conventional wisdom about "audiophile" loudspeakers right out the window:

1) They're cheap
2) They have simple MDF cabinets with only one cross brace internally
3) They use a guitar amp driver (complete with a whizzer cone!) for the main driver
4) They never fail to get my foot tapping
5) They play to rock-concert levels with 20 watts of SET power
6) Even though they roll off pretty quickly below 30 Hz, they are full and powerful all the way to that point

To be fair, I re-did them internally with better wire and better crossover parts. They sound incredibly awful out of the box and need at least 100 hours of blasting at insane levels to really get in the groove, but once there I still crack up at a $1k pair of speakers (and $300 in extra parts) that give me more enjoyment than the last pair of $12k speakers I had. They need some space behind and between them and the walls (at least 18" behind and 24" or so to the sides in my room anyway), but given that they throw up a huge soundstage (especially with LP's). No "pinpoint" imaging like some more exotic speakers, but the performers/instruments are in the appropriate place(s) with the appropriate size, etc. I've contemplated on several occasions upgrading to the Tekton Double Impacts, and then every time I sit down to listen I just forget about any need to upgrade. :smile: Yup, there's way better speakers out there and I've been fortunate to hear a lot of them, but for the money these have never failed to disappoint. Most people buy the speakers they like and then buy or upgrade to an amp that will drive them properly. I went backwards (like usual) -- I had an amp I loved (the Jota), so went searching for speakers that would work with it....and the Lores do quite well at that.
Nice work on the crossovers!

Thanks for that very informative response. I was always curious about these sub £1000 speakers, they were given a couple of great reviews a while back but apart from that little information.

Yes difficult to know what to do first, amp or speaker, both are vital to sound. I was the same as you with amp first, and struck lucky with the baby amp in the pic, looks like a toy, in fact I used Meccano parts in the upgrade because it was the only way I could get small enough screws and brackets to fit lol!

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #2,119 of 7,498
I am not a native English speaker, but isn't that basically saying they always disappoint?! :thinking:
Well spotted, nice to know somebody's concentrating at least!

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #2,120 of 7,498
Upgrade in progress on the Miniwatt:

1619722045681.png

Showing very expensive high quality Jupiter coupling caps, costing as much as the amp, but transforming the sound to a quite shocking level!

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #2,121 of 7,498
Nice work on the crossovers!

Thanks for that very informative response. I was always curious about these sub £1000 speakers, they were given a couple of great reviews a while back but apart from that little information.

Yes difficult to know what to do first, amp or speaker, both are vital to sound. I was the same as you with amp first, and struck lucky with the baby amp in the pic, looks like a toy, in fact I used Meccano parts in the upgrade because it was the only way I could get small enough screws and brackets to fit lol!
In the past some people named the Zu Omen Dirty Weekend speakers as good sounding and very efficient in this price range:
https://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/omen-dirty-weekend-ii

Apr 29, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #2,122 of 7,498
In the past some people named the Zu Omen Dirty Weekend speakers as good sounding and very efficient in this price range:
Thanks!

Yes I looked at these at the same time. I felt the Tektons would be that bit more musical possibly. BUT I'm still with my Monitor Audio, I'm finding them too good to replace atm, if I do replace them it will have to be something special!!

Apr 29, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #2,123 of 7,498
Thanks!

Yes I looked at these at the same time. I felt the Tektons would be that bit more musical possibly. BUT I'm still with my Monitor Audio, I'm finding them too good to replace atm, if I do replace them it will have to be something special!!
Having plenty of power on tap I don't have to worry about the efficiency of speakers. I use Elac Debut 6 speakers with good results. They are very inexpensive and are said to be just as good as $1000 speakers for a fifth of the price.

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #2,125 of 7,498
I vacillated between those and the Lores for quite a while. I ended up going with the Tektons due to the slightly higher sensitivity, a little further reach down in the bass, and at the time I bought mine there was a free shipping special so they ended up in total (in stock form) being about $300 less (which I then turned around and spent on crossover parts LOL!). I've never heard the Zu's so don't know if I made the right decision, but I'll probably never know because if I upgrade at some point it will likely be to a higher level Tekton.

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #2,126 of 7,498
I vacillated between those and the Lores for quite a while. I ended up going with the Tektons due to the slightly higher sensitivity, a little further reach down in the bass, and at the time I bought mine there was a free shipping special so they ended up in total (in stock form) being about $300 less (which I then turned around and spent on crossover parts LOL!). I've never heard the Zu's so don't know if I made the right decision, but I'll probably never know because if I upgrade at some point it will likely be to a higher level Tekton.
Becowen since you show some talent in building that speakers, I will commission you to build me a clone of Dynaudio Confidence 60.

In the meantime I will sell you my spare Boston Acoustics vr2 at a great discount for a long term employee. Check out the specs on search google.

All yours for $300 postage not included.

5C2D5AF0-D0E8-4734-95D7-DEE523BF5015.jpeg

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #2,127 of 7,498
Becowen since you show some talent in building that speakers, I will commission you to build me a clone of Dynaudio Confidence 60.

In the meantime I will sell you my spare Boston Acoustics vr2 at a great discount for a long term employee. Check out the specs on search google.

All yours for $300 postage not included.

5C2D5AF0-D0E8-4734-95D7-DEE523BF5015.jpeg
Well, I don't build speakers. I just screw up crossovers. And golf carts. :smile:

Thanks kindly for the offer, but 93 dB sensitivity and a -3dB point of 41 Hz? Um, think I'll stick with my lowly Lores. LOL!

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #2,128 of 7,498
Well, I don't build speakers. I just screw up crossovers. And golf carts. :smile:

Thanks kindly for the offer, but 93 dB sensitivity and a -3dB point of 41 Hz? Um, think I'll stick with my lowly Lores. LOL!
$300 and you want subsonic bass.... get real or get a subwoofer!

or get my LCD4 🤠

Guess what? I am 8 hours away from collecting Destiny !!!!

Apr 30, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #2,129 of 7,498
$300 and you want subsonic bass.... get real or get a subwoofer!

or get my LCD4 🤠

Guess what? I am 8 hours away from collecting Destiny !!!!
.. about 7 now and counting....!! I'm feeling your pain :sleeping:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back