Objectivists board room
Jan 9, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #1,756 of 4,545
I'm fine with using context to decide but strictly speaking Oversampling is a ADC technique - using much higher sample frequency than the needed/desired analog signal's bandwidth with the expectation of sample rate reduction to a lower rate, involving digital filtering

when reducing the sample rate an oversampling system has more choices but if you want 20 kHz flat audio response and 44.1k sample rate then you are likely "brickwalling"

Upsampling is the interpolation of a given digital stream to a higher sample rate on the DAC side with the higher sample rate interpolated digital representation conversion to analog - and can use digital filters working at the higher sample rate to "brickwall" too

in any case you can only remove frequencies digitally within the Nyquist limit of the higher sample rate, still need analog filtering for antialias or image filtering (including consideration of the reflection about Nyquist of the filter function)

so there is much symmetry/overlap in the terminology, practical implementations but still a fundamental difference to keep in mind

Jan 12, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #1,758 of 4,545
www.head-fi.org/t/794467/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-2016-update :L3000:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 30, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #1,760 of 4,545
My dear friends
Did I miss something or are the Chord Mojo curves not yet posted/discussed about here?

I don't know what curves you speak of.

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #1,762 of 4,545
  http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/cd-dvd-blu-ray/62/776.html?start=5

Is it this what you speak of?

If those are the curves in question, they're nice specs, but I don't see anything controversial about them.

???

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #1,763 of 4,545
Well a month ago the developer Rob came discussing here about timing differences that made the Mojo clearly better than the competition, but we have not had (or have we?) seen any measurements otherwise than claims yet. When I look at the given link, I dont really see something special which should give the Mojo that clearly better sound.

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #1,764 of 4,545
  Well a month ago the developer Rob came discussing here about timing differences that made the Mojo clearly better than the competition, but we have not had (or have we?) seen any measurements otherwise than claims yet. When I look at the given link, I dont really see something special which should give the Mojo that clearly better sound.

It's got nice stats, but for $599 for a portable, it should.  And most of the extra improvements in stats are well below the threshold of audibility.

As for "timing differences"....what did he mean by that?

Did he mean reduced jitter?

Jan 30, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #1,767 of 4,545
Jan 30, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #1,768 of 4,545
The thing that bugs me about the Chord Mojo is the plastic toy-looking case.

And the stupid 'Mojo' in giant cursive script.

If I'm going to pay $599 for a portable DAC, I want it to look like something better than 1980's-Walkman-Meets-Duplo-Blocks.

Jan 30, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #1,769 of 4,545
  The thing that bugs me about the Chord Mojo is the plastic toy-looking case.

And the stupid 'Mojo' in giant cursive script.

If I'm going to pay $599 for a portable DAC, I want it to look like something better than 1980's-Walkman-Meets-Duplo-Blocks.

The thing that bothers me about most of the Chord products is the coloured light thing. Looks like a malfunctioning christmas tree. 

Jan 30, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #1,770 of 4,545
  The thing that bothers me about most of the Chord products is the coloured light thing. Looks like a malfunctioning christmas tree. 

That, too, now that you mention it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back