Objectivists board room
Jan 19, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #3,091 of 4,545
No. Just no.....

But if you really feel the need to take one for the team in the name of Sound Science, I'll send you some Carolina Reapers and Trinidad 7 Pot Douglahs that I grew and dried. At 2 million scovilles, they're twice as hot as the ghost pepper. Though much like the red book vs. Hi-Rez discussion, I'm sure the difference in your output will not be audible.

I swear I won't be able to feel a difference. It's definitely enough to overload our senses though I never actually looked into the science behind it. If anyone wants to educate me, please feel free. A live double blind test would of course be favourable, though I can't imagine how to create an ideal controlled environment.

Anyone wanna take a bullet for the team (and market this into the other forums? :^D ) for science?

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #3,092 of 4,545
I swear I won't be able to feel a difference. It's definitely enough to overload our senses though I never actually looked into the science behind it. If anyone wants to educate me, please feel free. A live double blind test would of course be favourable, though I can't imagine how to create an ideal controlled environment.

Anyone wanna take a bullet for the team (and market this into the other forums? :^D ) for science?

The New Mexico State University Chili Pepper Institute has a ton of information: https://cpi.nmsu.edu

Capsaicin definitely releases endorphins in quantity, so it actually might be interesting to see if it impacts our perception of audio. I have no idea how to set up a controlled test, but I'll EAT one and post entirely an subjective opinion. I'm also not doing 10 trial runs to gather data.

Who knows, I might start selling part of next year's crop as "audiophile" chilies.

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #3,093 of 4,545

If you're going to stick peppers up your butt, I think we definitely need double blind.

Nobody wants to see that process.

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #3,094 of 4,545
Trust it. It's a random picture on the internet. o(>v0)b

Since ghost peppers have been mentioned regarding improving audio fidelity, maybe someone can experiment with that too if one wants to enjoy music while recovering from illness? :^D

DisclaimerIamnotresponsibleforanyterribleterribleterriblethingsthatmayhappentoyou.

I grow those on the patio every year. They make awesome fajitas and stir fry, among other things. I've even got a bag full of frozen ones from harvests past. Looks like I'm set for audio experiments.

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #3,095 of 4,545
By now I've seen it that often that people wonder if their lovely to-buy gear will last 5 years. What the heck? I'm using 39 years old gear, still lasting. I can't remember ever having something braking on me, except for that it was my own fault. And even if the $$$$ gear lasts 5 years, who on this website still has it by then? No one I guess

Jan 20, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #3,096 of 4,545
By now I've seen it that often that people wonder if their lovely to-buy gear will last 5 years. What the heck? I'm using 39 years old gear, still lasting. I can't remember ever having something braking on me, except for that it was my own fault. And even if the $$$$ gear lasts 5 years, who on this website still has it by then? No one I guess

Sorry, I'm not understanding the objectivist or Sound Science angle to your post.

Can you elaborate?

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #3,098 of 4,545
The New Mexico State University Chili Pepper Institute has a ton of information: https://cpi.nmsu.edu

Capsaicin definitely releases endorphins in quantity, so it actually might be interesting to see if it impacts our perception of audio. I have no idea how to set up a controlled test, but I'll EAT one and post entirely an subjective opinion. I'm also not doing 10 trial runs to gather data.

Who knows, I might start selling part of next year's crop as "audiophile" chilies.

If you do actually go through with this, be sure to start a discussion thread. Then we can hype it up!

:dt880smile:

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #3,099 of 4,545

This is not a bad idea, actually. There's a whole ecosystem (pun kind of intended) of products to be had here ... For example, you could sell special audiophile dentures that crush the chili in the perfect way to maximize the effect and also avoid bone conduction to prevent any kind of destructive interference with the audio. 

Oh man... if Chord can charge $600 for a crappier Chromecast Audio, imagine how much you could charge for these babies... 

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #3,100 of 4,545
This is not a bad idea, actually. There's a whole ecosystem (pun kind of intended) of products to be had here ... For example, you could sell special audiophile dentures that crush the chili in the perfect way to maximize the effect and also avoid bone conduction to prevent any kind of destructive interference with the audio. 

Oh man... if Chord can charge $600 for a crappier Chromecast Audio, imagine how much you could charge for these babies... 

Couldn't follow the Poly thread anymore (a little too hard to read, sorry :frowning2: ).

When you mention "crapper," are you being sarcastic, or did Chord actually release enough info to show that their Poly indeed is worse than the Chromecast Audio?

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #3,101 of 4,545

If you do actually go through with this, be sure to start a discussion thread. Then we can hype it up!

dt880smile.png

Take the chatter over here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/769840/tasting-audiophile-clams-and-meats

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #3,102 of 4,545

dt880smile.png

Will do. 
eek.gif

Should I put it in Sound Science or Cables and Tweaks Forums?  I'm definitely not going to claim any test rigor, so unless we all want to have a little fun with it here, it won't really be a proper thread.

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #3,103 of 4,545

That looks delicious! Anyone wanna fund me a test for that???!! I swear I'll write a full 300 word report on the full experience for all of you!!! \(@v@)/

-------------

On a more serious note, I'm curious about how to find info about the noise floor, as it's the biggest thing that is bothering me right now with my DAC, and nobody seems to bother to mention it in reviews, as if the specs sheet tells it so there's no point in even mentioning it.

The specs sheet for my DAC says this:

"Noise Floor 7 µV RMS (A-weight), max gain"

Can anyone explain what that means, and as a rule of thumb, how does it stand? Is it very below average, very good, just a marketing term used to confuse people and don't tell anything without more info on the reference used, just a made up pseudoscientific term, etc.?

Just to add a bit, on max gain, the DAC I use can output "2.9 V rms / +11.5 dBu." Can someone kindly explain how to use this in calculations to find the noise floor?

Thanks. ^_^

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #3,104 of 4,545
That looks delicious! Anyone wanna fund me a test for that???!! I swear I'll write a full 300 word report on the full experience for all of you!!! \(@v@)/

-------------

On a more serious note, I'm curious about how to find info about the noise floor, as it's the biggest thing that is bothering me right now with my DAC, and nobody seems to bother to mention it in reviews, as if the specs sheet tells it so there's no point in even mentioning it.

The specs sheet for my DAC says this:

"Noise Floor 7 µV RMS (A-weight), max gain"

Can anyone explain what that means, and as a rule of thumb, how does it stand? Is it very below average, very good, just a marketing term used to confuse people and don't tell anything without more info on the reference used, just a made up pseudoscientific term, etc.?

Just to add a bit, on max gain, the DAC I use can output "2.9 V rms / +11.5 dBu." Can someone kindly explain how to use this in calculations to find the noise floor?

Thanks. ^_^

It means that with the volume turned all the way up and no input there is a 7uV RMS output. But that measurement is not just off a meter... they've weighted it to make it look better than it is*. You can figure out how loud that actually is (dB SPL) if you know the output impedance of the DAC/amp, sensitivity of your IEMs/headphones, and impedance of your IEMs/headphones.

*A-weighting is dumb. As far as I can tell it's only purpose to hide things the manufacturer is afraid of and to allow them to report higher than measured specs so they can charge more money. The whole thing about how the ear works is a bunch of garbage.

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #3,105 of 4,545
Will do. :eek:

Should I put it in Sound Science or Cables and Tweaks Forums?  I'm definitely not going to claim any test rigor, so unless we all want to have a little fun with it here, it won't really be a proper thread.

Cables forum. No discussion of DBT, confirmation bias, or anything like that should cloud discussion of your evaluation.

I wonder if Cholula works better with rock or jazz? Or I suppose I could stereotype and guess it works best on Rodrigo y Gabriela :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back