Objectivists board room
Aug 26, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #1,876 of 4,545
Ha yeah thanks I try and be realistic about these things. I would have thought that I could rise above such brain trickery - especially if I had both systems together for a while and could switch between them without noticing a difference before selling. (Assuming that the objectivists are right and there should be no real audible differences between said gear). Perhaps you're right though - even if there was no difference or an inaudible amount of difference, my brain wouldn't let me accept that. Maybe that's the reason people who buy high end cables can't go back to standard ones once they start?

Aug 26, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #1,877 of 4,545
  I admire your honesty, I have to say.

One thing I would worry about though, is the purely psychological, subjective aspect. Even if you picked up a $500 amp that people would favour ~50% of the time in a blind test with your current amp*, that may not be enough. You will know that you have changed it, and have sown the seeds of doubt in your own mind- you'll start hearing problems/shortcomings that perhaps aren't there, and start suffering "upgradeitis" again- possibly not saving yourself any money in the longer term.

This might be too cynical a view, and it's not meant to be in any way insulting- I suspect I'd do the same, too. You probably could get a $500 amp that sounds about as good, but you may never like it quite as much, just because you know it's a cheaper unit.

The brain is annoying, and doesn't come with an instruction manual.

*Assuming that such a beast exists.

Are you saying that we are weak minded as Homer Simpson? I do not mix aesthetics with the perception of sound, everyone should try harder or pay up.

Aug 26, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #1,879 of 4,545
  Are you saying that we are weak minded as Homer Simpson? I do not mix aesthetics with the perception of sound, everyone should try harder or pay up.

You don't think you do. To baldly deny it as a possibility is anything but objective.

Possible, however as Homer would say, "I must resist.....I must resist...."

Aug 26, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #1,880 of 4,545
Don't get me wrong, I like the setup that I have, but hanging out in this part of the forum and continually hearing that you could probably get the same sound a fraction of the price, I feel like I should probably just get something for a fraction of the price and sell the expensive gear and to fund something like a pair of studio monitors or whatever.

And speakers are an area where spending $1000 instead of $300 can make a difference. If you would use studio monitors, you'd probably enjoy the benefit of getting some nice ones more than buying an expensive headphone amp.

Aug 26, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #1,881 of 4,545
Saw this quote in someone's signature on another audio forum, and thought it might give some of you guys a laugh. I tracked down the origin. It's from a 1992 survey of preamps in The Audio Critic No. 18 in which the author justifies his choice of preamps:

"I did not look at any tube preamps for the same reason that Car and Driver is not reporting on buggy whips." David A. Rich, PhD

LOL

Aug 29, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #1,884 of 4,545
Is balanced headphone equipment worth the extra cost?

I understand why it might be better. But is there a measurable or audible difference?

Measurable difference yes.. Audible difference.. Not usually in my opinion. Balanced will generally be louder. If you look at some of the best amps of all time.. They are single ended.

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #1,885 of 4,545
Hi guys

I invite everyone to try out the latest version of Viper4Android
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=68473076#post68473076

Including capability to load 2-channel cross-channel convolution impulse files for full stereo speaker virtualization on headphones :beerchug: as first posted here www.head-fi.org/t/811837/natural-crossfeed-on-headphones-earphones-for-foobar2000-v2-0-major-update-made-public

So now you can take this capability from foobar2000 onto your Android smartphone or any rootable Android-based DAP :beerchug:

Check out our Telegram group too :D
https://telegram.me/joinchat/DrIy10A1_etYqX2UnJs5YA

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 8, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #1,886 of 4,545
Oh, that looks nice- still not gonna root my device for it though 
mad.gif

I might have to play with the Foobar plugin, however.. how did I miss it until now?

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #1,889 of 4,545
  Well, I do have my old S3, which is relegated to a simless emergency phone, that I carry when running, but eh.. Not sure I want to carry two phones like a drug dealer, either 
biggrin.gif

I use my old Verizon/Samsung Galaxy S3 as a DAP. Works real good, native DAC support and custom driver when the app supports it, USBAPP, Neutron, Google Player (Streaming All Access Music subscription) and more.

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #1,890 of 4,545
  I use my old Verizon/Samsung Galaxy S3 as a DAP. Works real good, native DAC support and custom driver when the app supports it, USBAPP, Neutron, Google Player (Streaming All Access Music subscription) and more.

Yeah, I have USBAPP, but find that it gets a bit unstable if the USB cable gets unplugged, which has happened a few times when having to push on/off crowded trains. It took an unusual amount of replugging/repowering/app quitting in the right order to stop it spitting its dummy. In the end, I picked up the Onyko player.. even though the UI isn't quite as good, it seems considerably more robust. It's workmanlike, but gets the job done.

I use Neutron when I am just going straight out of the phone, and it does a pretty good job, outside of the flaky UI (which interacts badly with locking, and sometimes also pops itself to front when you haven't locked, but the screen has just turned off). Sound quality is nice, even if the UI is like something from the days of trackers on the Amiga. I keep feeling like I should investigate Neutron's USB DAC support- is it smart enough to only upsample when it's using the phone's onboard DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back