Obbligato Gold vs. Copper vs. Sonicap
Jan 5, 2009 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dude_500

100+ Head-Fier
The three caps I've found in this similar mid-price range are the Obbligato Gold Premium Caps, Obbligato Copper Caps, and Sonicaps.

What would you suggest out of these three? Or any other brands in a mid-price range.

Jan 5, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 8
I think the Sonicaps are the most popular of the ones you listed. V-Caps from vh audio are also excellent (considered the best by most), but they can get quite expensive.

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 8
"V-Cap" envelopes both the oil and Teflon caps and I think they have a similar defacto position as BlackGate caps, as in self-proclaimed and insinuated "best of the best" standard that doesn't really mean anything except that sure, they're good, but 99.9% of the time, I'd use another cap - like the russian TF-3 Teflon or Sprague Vitamin Q oil.

I heard nice things about Obbligato caps but have used the Sonicaps many times. Sonicaps are great, incredible bang/buck. I was recommended the Sonicaps over Obbligato, so I tried them and really liked them. Still a Vitamin Q cap kicks butt in midrange but the Sonicaps are a little "clearer", not to be mistaken with "better resolution", just not as much of a "liquid" sound as Vitamin Q.

Jan 5, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 8
In what context will these caps be used - bypass, psu, or ?

I have used the copper Obligatos in the Bijou (love them), Vit Q in the Millett Max (and love them), and BG in a prior Millett (loved them as well). I also have some Jensen / Mundorf for another project where I am limited to very high current only. It is doubtful you can go 'wrong' with any of these options, and will likely only be personal taste that would make you think one is 'best'.

All will have tradeoffs, so you alone can determine which are right for you, and whatever application you are planning. In the meantime, you can read up a little (more).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back