O2+ODAC or Modi + Magni or Aune T1 or GoVibe Vulcan? For Beyer 990 250Ohm
Mar 31, 2013 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

vurtomatic

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi ...

I have a Beyer 990 250Ohm, for desktop listening with a laptop. I'm comfortable with a below-$300 budget. I listen to electronic music which are bassy, using a 1964 Quad on the go.

My friend uses a GoVibe Vulcan with his 990. From looking around Head-Fi I've seen suggestions like:

O2+ODAC
Modi + MAgni
Aune T1

There're so many DAC/Amp options I'd very much appreciate some help!

Mar 31, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 11
Bumping after only 2 hours is frowned upon.

Anyway, of the amps you listed, the Schiit stack is the best.

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #5 of 11
Bumping after only 2 hours is frowned upon.

Anyway, of the amps you listed, the Schiit stack is the best.
That's not a fact. o2 and odac are right there too.

Yeah,
maybe better in price

$285 O2/ODAC

$99+$99 Magni+modi

Most comparisons from people who actually tried both end up one way or the other.

I would say it's more of a preference between stacked or single unit.

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 11
Thanks, I ended up getting the Aune T1 to try. Thought the tube might make it interesting. 
normal_smile .gif

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
I didn't know that, I got it with the 6922. I'll search the T1 thread for the 6DJ8, thanks for the tip. Do you know how it pairs better?

Posting gist of PM here.

Quote:
6922EH makes the recession in mids really noticable, cold and sterile. It's like the mids are walled in by the highs and lows. Stage placement wise, it would be like if the lead singer and drummers swapped places... and they took the mic away from the singer. The amperex orange globe has slightly rolled off highs and lows but warms and pushes forward the mids. When paired with the DT990s, the bass impact is down a little and it takes the edge off the highs so it's more sparkle than sibilant but, the best part is that it makes the mids thicker and more lush and is pushed forward to balance out the sound. My other 2 tubes, the 6922EH & Russian 6N23-EB/6H23-EV makes the DT990s unlistenable to my ears running from the T1. I pretty much stopped using them until I got the Amperex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back