O2 AMP + ODAC
Jun 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #1,516 of 5,671
Quote:
I already have a RCA to 3.5mm adapter but what's the difference of connecting the ODAC to the O2 with a mini-to-mini cable versus an RCA-to-mini cable? Sorry for the confusing post haha.

The original ODAC design only incorporated a 3.5mm output to lower cost. The designer felt that there would be no audible benefit in using a RCA output over the 3.5mm out. The RCA outputs on the ODAC like the one you have were later added by ODAC manufacturers. You can read up more on the design process by googling 'ODAC realsead'.

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #1,517 of 5,671
Quote:
I already have a RCA to 3.5mm adapter but what's the difference of connecting the ODAC to the O2 with a mini-to-mini cable versus an RCA-to-mini cable? Sorry for the confusing post haha.

No apology is necessary. I misunderstood your question.

It shouldn't make any difference. Choose the one that's more convenient for you.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #1,519 of 5,671
My HD650's distort on high gain when connected to the O2, but it's fine on low gain? Why is that?

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #1,521 of 5,671
It's 2.5x and 6.5x actually. I don't think it's the headphones. on high gain, the o2 is probably clipping. The high gain was meant for low lowered sources like cell phones or other headphone output and not the odac.

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #1,523 of 5,671
HD650 are 300ohm cans.

If i remember correctly these cans were highly favored by NWAVGUY and has a lot of information on them in his blog.

He stated that these cans needed 2 volts RMS to drive the HD650's to realistic levels.

This is 5.7 volts peak to peak.

The power graphs show the voltage at 150 ohms and 600 ohms being almost the same at 7.3 volts....so the amp is clipping etc.

I found this out as well with other cans.

I run at unity gain and 2.5 sometimes...

Alex

Jun 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #1,525 of 5,671
Off topic a bit, just posting here to say I am looking to sell my O2/Odac in favor of trying something different, PM me for details, I will be creating a classified tomorrow!

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #1,527 of 5,671
I'm trying to get my JDS o2/odac combo to connect to my laptop and pc, but neither of them detect that anything has been plugged in. My audio gd 5 connected with no trouble when I got it. Cant seem to see it in device manager or playback devices.

If I can't get it to connect I'm going to have to sell it to someone who can get it to work (In Melbourne). It arrived here only a day ago, it didn't come with a usb cable either, so I have to use one I've been using for my tablet.

Any ideas on what to do?

Jun 12, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #1,528 of 5,671
What is your OS? Win7 ? Win8?

Make sure your USB port is on....try a different port?

Do any other USB devices work in that port?

Try the device on a different PC ?

Alex

Jun 12, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #1,529 of 5,671
Quote:
I'm trying to get my JDS o2/odac combo to connect to my laptop and pc, but neither of them detect that anything has been plugged in. My audio gd 5 connected with no trouble when I got it. Cant seem to see it in device manager or playback devices.

If I can't get it to connect I'm going to have to sell it to someone who can get it to work (In Melbourne). It arrived here only a day ago, it didn't come with a usb cable either, so I have to use one I've been using for my tablet.

Any ideas on what to do?

I might be a good idea to forward your problems to JDS labs themselves. Odds are that you're not the first who has encountered those problems. Hopefully they'll be able to provide you with a solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back