O2 AMP + ODAC
May 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #1,501 of 5,671
Quote:

Thanks chaps, I already have a Magni and whilst it's supposed to sound good with the Hd600 and 650, I hear it's a bit bright with the 700s. I'm going to try any get an O2 or an iFi iCAN to try with them and see how they pair.

I would not pair HD700 and iFi iCAN at all... I was myself doing a research and iFi iCAN is suitable rather for HD600 or HD650, especially if considering to use iCAN's crossfeed.

HD700 exhibit serious ringing and peaks and its treble response is therefore problematic (a lot more than what some people find problematic about HD800), therefore I would most probably only pair HD700 with a tube amp... Well, I would never purchase HD700 to be honest, it's an overpriced headphone for sure. Get HD600, or go straight for HD800.

May 18, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #1,502 of 5,671
Quote:

That's interesting. Has this been a recent comment, or from when he was active around 2011? At that time the MX1 was the Audinst flagship, the MX2 is a very recent release and benefits from a significant redesign. I would be interested to hear what he has to say about the new design. I'm sure the manufacturers must have been aware of the O2, at its price point it certainly seems like a response to the O2.

If the O2 design is as accomplished as it appears, why are other manufacturers not simply copying it? It is open source after all.

It's not open source... You cannot modify it or use it for commercial purposes (like using the design as a basis for your commercial product). You can only use it as it is = be a commercial builder.

Of course, you could do whatever you want with the circuit for your DIY purposes... But not commercially.

May 18, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #1,503 of 5,671
Quote:
That's interesting. Has this been a recent comment, or from when he was active around 2011? At that time the MX1 was the Audinst flagship, the MX2 is a very recent release and benefits from a significant redesign. I would be interested to hear what he has to say about the new design. I'm sure the manufacturers must have been aware of the O2, at its price point it certainly seems like a response to the O2.

If the O2 design is as accomplished as it appears, why are other manufacturers not simply copying it? It is open source after all.

re: Audinst... that's from a while back.  Also, the guy is known to have opinions (educated guesses? call them whatever you will) about stuff, even that he's not tested.

As for copying the O2, depends what you mean.  If you're talking about building O2s, that's what people like Epiphany, JDSLabs, and Mayflower do, and commercially so.

It's not open source... You cannot modify it or use it for commercial purposes (like using the design as a basis for your commercial product). You can only use it as it is = be a commercial builder.

Of course, you could do whatever you want with the circuit for your DIY purposes... But not commercially.

It's open source but not completely unrestricted.

See this:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/

So a company copying it, modifying it, and selling an improvement (marketing it as such) isn't really permissible.

Now, the bigger deal is that a design like the O2, at least on a macro level, could be done by anybody.  Pretty much every DIY designer's done something more complicated.  O2 is the simplest possible two-stage amp topology out there.  Only thing simpler is a one-op amp design, a CMoy.  It's not like the idea broke any new ground or wasn't something that people could have done before.  The circuit's just a bit more optimized than what most DIY designers could do without a bit of hard work, a decent audio analyzer, and a few board revisions.  That just means that the performance has been improved from "most likely good enough" to "even more likely good enough" for most purposes, according to some.  But any reasonable audio company could have designed the same with a bit of work.

O2's biggest innovation or contribution was the power / protection / battery run-down circuit... which ended up not working as intended for a lot of people, who used different batteries.  Whoops.  But that's a challenge of a DIY design where you're not as in control of which exact parts are used.

It's not like other companies have anything really novel to copy there, that they could use as an advantage.  It didn't tell them something they didn't already know before.  Well, if they weren't paying attention to certain other previous designs, then maybe they might not have thought about paralleling JRC4556s as a cheap way to implement a decently-high-current output.  But there are plenty of buffers and other topologies you can use instead, that also work.

Saving an audiophile company a few bucks per unit on chip costs isn't going to make or break them.

May 19, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #1,504 of 5,671
Quote:
The motherboard is an AsRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3, I got 2 USB 3.0 ports but they never worked (maybe because I have a Sandy Bridge processor? I don't know). Anyway I did as you said (I connected everything but the O2/ODAC on the rear of the motherboard, and the amp/dac on the front USB 2.0 port), now the O2/ODAC has his own bus.
smily_headphones1.gif

One more question: I'm using the USB input with the PC (for music listening) and the 3.5 input with the monitor (for gaming, because my PS3 is connected to the monitor by HDMI cable). Can this configuration ruin the output sound quality? (I obviously use only a source at once, but each of them is connected 24/7).

Regarding the USB 3.0 ports, I believe you have to install the USB 3.0 drivers to get them working http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z68%20Extreme4/?cat=Download
I have the Z77 Extreme 4 and that was the case for me on Win7 64-bit.

I do not think your HDMI monitor setup will affect your DAC sound.

May 27, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #1,507 of 5,671
just came here to say i've been a happy customer with o2+odac (separate boxes odac from jds labs and o2 from mayflower) paired with my hifiman he-400.

May 30, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #1,509 of 5,671
Is there any O2+ODAC combo which can also serve up a preamp output? I would love to upgrade my Audioengine D1 but use both the RCA output and the headphone amp...
The Burson Conductor is awfully tempting and ten times the price.

There has to be such an ODAC flavor, right?

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #1,511 of 5,671
Speaking of using it as a pre amp I gotta question, I recently got a Wii U for me/family/friends to play occasionally for a bit of fun here and there, If I split the HDMI out into audio/video is there anyway I could send that to the O2/Odac combo? which I then use as a preamp

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #1,512 of 5,671
Getting mine two days later! I got the RCA ODAC and I plan on connecting it to my macbook with an O2 amp. Sorry for being a newb, but what does the RCA output do when connected to a computer with a 3.5mm plug?

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #1,513 of 5,671
Quote:
Getting mine two days later! I got the RCA ODAC and I plan on connecting it to my macbook with an O2 amp. Sorry for being a newb, but what does the RCA output do when connected to a computer with a 3.5mm plug?

To connect an ODAC with RCA output to a "standalone" O2, you'll need an RCA-to-3.5mm adapter. Is that what you're asking?

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #1,514 of 5,671

First connect the odac to your computer using the supplied USB cable. Since you got the RCA odac, you have the option of using either a RCA to mini or mini to mini cable to connect the odac to the o2 amp.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #1,515 of 5,671
I already have a RCA to 3.5mm adapter but what's the difference of connecting the ODAC to the O2 with a mini-to-mini cable versus an RCA-to-mini cable? Sorry for the confusing post haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back