O2 AMP + ODAC
Apr 29, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #1,321 of 5,671
Quote:
Just popping in to tell a discovery I made; seems that my O2 / ODAC stack is susceptible to radio interference from my Wi-Fi antenna. Jury's still out on whether it's the stack itself or just the shielded wires connecting them.

Happened to me too. At one point I was able to hear a specific radio channel's music.....holy mackerel that was weird.

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #1,322 of 5,671
Quote:
Just popping in to tell a discovery I made; seems that my O2 / ODAC stack is susceptible to radio interference from my Wi-Fi antenna. Jury's still out on whether it's the stack itself or just the shielded wires connecting them.

Tough luck I guess.  The rca from my dac to amp is literally draped over my wireless adapter, and I've never heard a peep.  Not even my cell phone has caused interference.  Hope you can track down a solution.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #1,325 of 5,671
Happened to me too. At one point I was able to hear a specific radio channel's music.....holy mackerel that was weird.

I can actually top that... I once had a cheap radio/alarm clock, and I discovered one night that when I touched the antenna on the radio, my body served as some sort of an antenna for a Spanish mariachi station that I couldn't pick up anywhere on the dial normally. 
eek.gif

Are you using a USB cable with a "ferrite bead" (such as the one shipped by JDS Labs?)

No, I'll have to look into getting one. It's a huge problem and it's extremely annoying.

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #1,326 of 5,671
Hi,

I have an Objective O2 + ODAC,and wondered how I can use the USB input for the DAC from a portable player (ipod or whatever ) on it rather then just using the 3.5mm analog input. I bought this without knowing anything about headphone amps lol.

I currently use a 3rd Gen iPod Touch and Fiio L10 (30 pin to 3.5mm) lead to connect it to the O2 but would prefer to use the ODAC rather than the iPods DAC to feed the amp, is it possible and if so how? I suspect a powered USB hub might be required ( which I already own for powering my Rasberry PI ), but I am unsure how to set this up for use with my ODAC as it draws too much power to work directly with the iPod. Or will the iPod work this way as I have also read somewhere that you can't get digital out from iPods/iPads?

The O2 + ODAC sounds great via PC USB :wink:

I tend to have the amp bedside for listening before sleep as I have an Electric-Avenues PA2V2 for portable listening.

Using Sennheiser HD650's.

Any help/info greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.

PS: apologies if this is in the wrong Forum/Section.

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #1,327 of 5,671
Transparency in an amp is basically the signal going in comes out unaltered except for the amplitude.

The old amp definition of a straight wire with gain analogy.

It doesn't filter out or add to the signal input.

The O2 does this very, very well.

Alex

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #1,328 of 5,671
Quote:
Transparency in an amp is basically the signal going in comes out unaltered except for the amplitude.

Alex

I guess that the term 'transparency' also  applies  to DACs? And if so, the ODAC  is transparent as well.
Moreover, the ODAC and O2 as a combo or as two separates are transparent.

Apr 30, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #1,329 of 5,671
The amp should do nothing to the signal but amplify it to a level to drive a transducer like a speaker.

So this is a rather simple device.....but amps can influence many unwanted things to the signal.....depending on its design etc...

A Dac takes bits and coverts them to an analog signal, way more complex, and if not designed correctly can attribute to unwanted things in different ways.

Compairing an analog signal in an amp is a lot less complex.

Its hard to say a dac is transparent based on the above definition because your not comparing apples to apples...it bits to an analog signal....no real way to make this comparison. A Dac does a transformation...while an amp 'should not' just amplification...

Alex

Apr 30, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #1,330 of 5,671
Quote:
Hi,

I have an Objective O2 + ODAC,and wondered how I can use the USB input for the DAC from a portable player (ipod or whatever ) on it rather then just using the 3.5mm analog input. I bought this without knowing anything about headphone amps lol.

I currently use a 3rd Gen iPod Touch and Fiio L10 (30 pin to 3.5mm) lead to connect it to the O2 but would prefer to use the ODAC rather than the iPods DAC to feed the amp, is it possible and if so how? I suspect a powered USB hub might be required ( which I already own for powering my Rasberry PI ), but I am unsure how to set this up for use with my ODAC as it draws too much power to work directly with the iPod. Or will the iPod work this way as I have also read somewhere that you can't get digital out from iPods/iPads?

The O2 + ODAC sounds great via PC USB :wink:

I tend to have the amp bedside for listening before sleep as I have an Electric-Avenues PA2V2 for portable listening.

Using Sennheiser HD650's.

Any help/info greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.

PS: apologies if this is in the wrong Forum/Section.

im pretty sure you cant stream digital data from an ipod. galaxy s3 and iphone 4 can if im not mistaken...

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #1,333 of 5,671

Alex

The O2 is claimed to do this perfectly...within the parameters of what is humanly audible. Distortions and noise etc are below audible levels.

So it really doesn't do it 'really really well' if the O2 is working as claimed. Nor is it 'good for the price', a previous adydula tricksey statement.

It's perfect at any price, if it does what it is claimed it does (and independent tests at Innerfidelity.com appear to confirm); to perfectly reproduce audio. Defacto hifi.

The O2 is the significant evidence that high end hifi amps/dacs above $300 are arguably a waste of money. Demonstrating that was the whole point of its design, if you read the website. It would appear that the the limitations of the human auditory system were reached in the 90s; and now audio tech is cheap (excepting speakers/headphones which have mechanical limitations).

There is a strong motivation to undermine the O2/ODAC, and on many levels it is attacked. Some of those levels may include 'praisers' who damn with feint praise. Aduyla is even more subtle, if deliberate.

They are winning that battle. But as Thatcher almost said, they cannot win the war.

I do hope that adyula is a person who has simply chosen his words poorly and is accidentally undermining the O2/ODAC, but I have previously criticised his 'positive' evaluations, and am surprised to see a new version of the same.

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #1,334 of 5,671
lorriman,

why cant we just be friends!!

let me be very, very blunt.....I am an O2 advocate, because it works and works very very well. period.

I believe regardless of the price that it doenst get any better than this....but the low cost even makes it better....

I have 2 of them now, and 2 Odacs....and I use them all the time.

You can spend more but really you don't have to ....to have great sound with a good pair of cans....

over and out....

the lambic tonight is superb!

Alex

Gee....subtle....I am so proud!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #1,335 of 5,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJack_2008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I guess that the term 'transparency' also  applies  to DACs? And if so, the ODAC  is transparent as well.
Moreover, the ODAC and O2 as a combo or as two separates are transparent.

I think so -- as an analogy to optics. A transparent lens reduces or enlarges but doesn't distort the image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back