O2 AMP + ODAC
Nov 5, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #5,597 of 5,671
My dac at the moment is FiiO x5 III Gen, but i will add soon an SMSL Su-8 or a Topping D50. The headphones that i use most are the DT 1990 Pro, in general i need at least the power of an O2 or more just keep things more future proof. The important thing is a good amp that makes the music to shine sounding as best as possible. Now the O2 is very good amp i use to own the little own.... But perhaps out there in the china market i can find something as good but cheap, perhaps an Smsl SAP 2 could do the trick...?!
I would vote for Topping DX7s combo DAC/headamp, as it measures about perfect. If not, get the D50 and an external headamp.

Nov 5, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #5,598 of 5,671
You could get only the PCB from overseas, then the BOM for O2 can be ordered later from a local dealer (Digikey, Mouser, Arrow etc.); latest BOM is available on developer's website, but also on AGDR's website as well.
i think i can get the pcb on ebay, quick and easy

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #5,607 of 5,671
My 7-year old ODAC is :L3000: as dead as a door-nail
as was Old Marley in 'A Christmas Carol'.

PS.1
What is life expectancy of the ODAC (or the O2 amp)?

P.S. 2
I have the O2 and ODAC as two separate units from JDS Labs.
Everything is quiet, no hiss, buzz, or any kind of sound.
Therefore, I suspect that my 7-year old ODAC is as dead as a door-nail
and not the O2 amp run on baterries or plugged into an AC outlet.

What shall I do? How to check it? Should I send just my ODAC back to JDS Labs?

Mar 9, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #5,608 of 5,671
Sorry to hear that.

First, you need to identify which device is broken, so try ODAC in a different amplifier.
Also, get an audio cable from your computer soundcard to your O2 and test this one as well.

If ODAC is completely dead, then you could probably double check the USB and audio plugs for intermittent connectivity (cold joints or some pins broken); use a magnifier glass too.

If O2 is dead, you might also try searching for cold joints or broken pins on the both input and output plugs, but you might also swap the final opamps (for a simple test only, you could use LME49720 if you can't find NJM4556).

Good luck!

Mar 10, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #5,609 of 5,671
Sorry to hear that.

First, you need to identify which device is broken, so try ODAC in a different amplifier.
Also, get an audio cable from your computer soundcard to your O2 and test this one as well.

If ODAC is completely dead, then you could probably double check the USB and audio plugs for intermittent connectivity (cold joints or some pins broken); use a magnifier glass too.

If O2 is dead, you might also try searching for cold joints or broken pins on the both input and output plugs, but you might also swap the final opamps (for a simple test only, you could use LME49720 if you can't find NJM4556).

Good luck!

Thanx.
I will follow your suggestions.
Incidentally I've found this:

here
iPhone Not Charging? Clean Your Lightning Port

and

What to Do When Your iPhone or iPad Isn’t Charging Properly
( … Check Your Charging Block, Inspect Your Cable)

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #5,610 of 5,671
My 7-year old ODAC is :L3000: as dead as a door-nail
as was Old Marley in 'A Christmas Carol'.

PS.1
What is life expectancy of the ODAC (or the O2 amp)?

P.S. 2
I have the O2 and ODAC as two separate units from JDS Labs.
Everything is quiet, no hiss, buzz, or any kind of sound.
Therefore, I suspect that my 7-year old ODAC is as dead as a door-nail
and not the O2 amp run on baterries or plugged into an AC outlet.

What shall I do? How to check it? Should I send just my ODAC back to JDS Labs?

My O2 is going strong after, I don't know, 5 years or something? The original batteries are shot but it runs off the adapter just fine. Solid-state electronics usually are rock solid when and if they don't blow up early in their lives. I have AV receivers and other audio gadgets that are over a decade old at this point that still work great.

I did lose the ODAC however, and am on my second one (JDS was awesome about trying to diagnose/fix it, and ultimately gave me a new one). It lasted several years but gradually I began to hear some "static" and eventually it just blew a channel out.

John at JDS seems to know that the original ODAC might have some / or a design flaw that may shorten its life.

IF the ODAC is dead (and I wouldn't be surprised, given my experience), I'd heartily recommend a purchase from JDS Labs again - the service has been top notch. BUT I would look to get an ODAC Revision B or one of their other DAC offerings. I'm sure they would sound awesome. They have some new affordable amps as well that look very interesting and spec great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back