O2 AMP + ODAC
May 27, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #4,322 of 5,671

I have one from both. They work the same and I believe both are now Rev. B. You may want to compare options and decide where you want the power port, location of the input and size of the headphone jack.

Both are now Rev. B? Is there anything confirming this or should I toss JDS Labs an e-mail to make sure?

May 27, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #4,325 of 5,671
Should I go for a front or rear mounted power jack? I'm not exactly sure which would be more convenient.

If you are going to use it mainly stationary then it should definitely go in the back, you'd ideally want as less of a clutter in the front as possible. I'd also suggest for any inputs/outputs to go in the back as well, if possible...

Front power jack and inputs/outputs made sense in a trans/portable O2 standalone setup as it made for more easier connection with various portable sources, but in a combo unit which you can't really use portably (as the ODAC takes up the battery space), it makes absolutely no sense to keep them in the front... that's unless you just really need to save money, but rear power jack option at least is so cheap that you're not really saving much there anyway (rear RCA's meanwhile can be a bit more costly).

May 27, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #4,326 of 5,671
Hey guys, I've got a few questions cuz I'm considering buying the o2 + oDac combo device to use with my laptop in order to hook 'em up to my Denon D5000's. 

The first one concerns the configuration in Windows 8.1. I've read all kinds off stuff about WASAPI and ASIO for supposed 'bit perfect' output to USB. I currently use VLC to play all my files, basically only mp3 320 44.1khz and flac 16 bit 44.1khz.
Should I install anything in order to provide a better digital source for the oDac? Is the vlc decoding sub-par compared to eg. foobar2000? Do I need foobar with WASAPI or asio4all etc...?

Secondly, I'd like to know if there's any difference in performance when rear mounting the AC inlet? Couldn't find it.

Lastly, how does the oDac part perform in combination with the rear mounted RCA's?

May 28, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #4,327 of 5,671
Hey guys, I've got a few questions cuz I'm considering buying the o2 + oDac combo device to use with my laptop in order to hook 'em up to my Denon D5000's. 

The first one concerns the configuration in Windows 8.1. I've read all kinds off stuff about WASAPI and ASIO for supposed 'bit perfect' output to USB. I currently use VLC to play all my files, basically only mp3 320 44.1khz and flac 16 bit 44.1khz.

Should I install anything in order to provide a better digital source for the oDac? Is the vlc decoding sub-par compared to eg. foobar2000? Do I need foobar with WASAPI or asio4all etc...?

Secondly, I'd like to know if there's any difference in performance when rear mounting the AC inlet? Couldn't find it.

Lastly, how does the oDac part perform in combination with the rear mounted RCA's?

According to John at jds labs, and others, the rca's make no audible difference. It's just about convenience.

May 28, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #4,328 of 5,671
  Yes, that's all fine and dandy, but you're missing the point of the O2/ODAC: it's to simply provide a sound that's as unaltered as one could get. So while it's true tubes provide a different sound due to different harmonics (easily visible in square wave tests), that's not the point of the O2/ODAC. If you think that 'organic note decay' is better with other DAC's, more power to you. But it's an addition to the source in the end, which is contrary to the point of the O2/ODAC.

I've listened to quite a few DAC's though, and I struggle to hear the difference unless there are additional 'bass-boost' filters. Maybe I lack the golden ears that you have, but the whole point of DAC's isn't to alter the sound, but to provide the best (ie. accurate) conversion of digital to analog. Anything else is contrary to the point of an ideal DAC. That being said, if you don't like that, fair enough.

Dazzer, why so testy?

Your extremely fortunate to hear very little audible differences between DAC's. If you listen to a pianist and then throw on a pair of headphones with an excellent recording with the ODAC as the source it is NOT a true representation of this "unaltered" sound your so defending regardless how well the music was mastered in the studio.  The sound you will have with the ODAC will have a shorter tail and "thinner body" and lack the longer tail "organic note decay" compared to higher end solid state dac's and tubes. Since you've never done such a comparison you truly have no basis to compare. It's not a matter of "more power to me". If you've done an a/b comparison it would be very apparent. This is where I can see you've never dabbled in vinyl or tubes or more capable solid state dac's. 

The Odac works fine but what does "unaltered" mean?? True to the mastered recording?  portray layers well defined? what kind of soundstage?  what you fail to hear is your benefit in the decent performing odac. There is a reason why folks move up the line in DAC's. It's not a matter of "sticking the nose up high" for prestige. It comes down to synergy and what provides a enjoyable musical experience that is non fatiguing. 

At the end of the day it comes down to synergy. The headphones can paint colours to the music. Ideally the dac should be "text book perfect" but what you will find is  they will all have some characteristic  of some form of "house sound" who ever designs the solid state dac. Go ahead and borrow a Nad m51, Concero HD, Moon 300d or MK2, wyred4sound dac mk2 and you'll find they will all sound different with your 02/dac combo. 

What's the difference between a dac that accentuates high/low

OR

changing headphones that are bright and bass heavy?? Note decay is something a transducer cannot randomly output unless the source or preamp attempts to provide natural representation of intimate vocals or strings etc. At the end of the day it's a matter of enjoying the hobby. No rules where you can add colour to the music.  If you want neutral and proclaim the ODAC as the ultimate "unaltering " source  why do you own so many headphones??????? Your still manipulating what the mastered source that was suppose to present to your ears....yet you own so many headphones. 

If your into electronica this will be less critical but if your listening to jazz vocals and strings.......you cannot compare an Odac to other much pricier DAC offerings. 

I can see your defending your gear but try to be more open minded.  The 02 amp is quite a trick pony for such a small package. IMO i find the components like the headphone jack, 3.5mm stereo source connector (RCA to 3.5mm jack on the earlier version) is not the highest in quality but it works. The amp has alot of clean neutral power. 

Like I mentioned before I'd be just as happy using my 02 objective amp with tube dac/super rectifier and push my Burson virtuoso aside.  For the money I think the 02 provides ALOT for the money. As for the Odac......there's a tonne of other dac's out there.

May 28, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #4,329 of 5,671
  Dazzer, why so testy?

Your extremely fortunate to hear very little audible differences between DAC's. If you listen to a pianist and then throw on a pair of headphones with an excellent recording with the ODAC as the source it is NOT a true representation of this "unaltered" sound your so defending regardless how well the music was mastered in the studio.  The sound you will have with the ODAC will have a shorter tail and "thinner body" and lack the longer tail "organic note decay" compared to higher end solid state dac's and tubes. Since you've never done such a comparison you truly have no basis to compare. It's not a matter of "more power to me". If you've done an a/b comparison it would be very apparent. This is where I can see you've never dabbled in vinyl or tubes or more capable solid state dac's. 

The Odac works fine but what does "unaltered" mean?? True to the mastered recording?  portray layers well defined? what kind of soundstage?  what you fail to hear is your benefit in the decent performing odac. There is a reason why folks move up the line in DAC's. It's not a matter of "sticking the nose up high" for prestige. It comes down to synergy and what provides a enjoyable musical experience that is non fatiguing. 

At the end of the day it comes down to synergy. The headphones can paint colours to the music. Ideally the dac should be "text book perfect" but what you will find is  they will all have some characteristic  of some form of "house sound" who ever designs the solid state dac. Go ahead and borrow a Nad m51, Concero HD, Moon 300d or MK2, wyred4sound dac mk2 and you'll find they will all sound different with your 02/dac combo. 

What's the difference between a dac that accentuates high/low

OR

changing headphones that are bright and bass heavy?? Note decay is something a transducer cannot randomly output unless the source or preamp attempts to provide natural representation of intimate vocals or strings etc. At the end of the day it's a matter of enjoying the hobby. No rules where you can add colour to the music.  If you want neutral and proclaim the ODAC as the ultimate "unaltering " source  why do you own so many headphones??????? Your still manipulating what the mastered source that was suppose to present to your ears....yet you own so many headphones. 

If your into electronica this will be less critical but if your listening to jazz vocals and strings.......you cannot compare an Odac to other much pricier DAC offerings. 

I can see your defending your gear but try to be more open minded.  The 02 amp is quite a trick pony for such a small package. IMO i find the components like the headphone jack, 3.5mm stereo source connector (RCA to 3.5mm jack on the earlier version) is not the highest in quality but it works. The amp has alot of clean neutral power. 

Like I mentioned before I'd be just as happy using my 02 objective amp with tube dac/super rectifier and push my Burson virtuoso aside.  For the money I think the 02 provides ALOT for the money. As for the Odac......there's a tonne of other dac's out there.

Now I've come across two different opinions: one of that the DAC being the least important link in the chain (as long as it does it well) up until you reach the $1k mark. As I've also read that bumping yourself up from an ODAC to an uber Bifrost (both upgrades) gives you very very slight audible improvement for quintuple the amount. This side also says that the AMP plays a far more important part in synergy with the headphones. Literally piling their heiarchy as thus: Headphones > Amp > DAC.

The second are on the solid ground that even a $100 difference is a night and day difference, and is just as important as the headphones themselves.

The middle ground doesn't seem to appear.

So my one question would be: by pricier, how much pricier are we talking about? I've seen the same amount of reviews saying that the ODAC is just as good as the benchmark DAC 1, than the reviews saying otherwise.

May 28, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #4,330 of 5,671
Now I've come across two different opinions: one of that the DAC being the least important link in the chain (as long as it does it well) up until you reach the $1k mark. As I've also read that bumping yourself up from an ODAC to an uber Bifrost (both upgrades) gives you very very slight audible improvement for quintuple the amount. This side also says that the AMP plays a far more important part in synergy with the headphones. Literally piling their heiarchy as thus: Headphones > Amp > DAC.

The second are on the solid ground that even a $100 difference is a night and day difference, and is just as important as the headphones themselves.

The middle ground doesn't seem to appear.

So my one question would be: by pricier, how much pricier are we talking about? I've seen the same amount of reviews saying that the ODAC is just as good as the benchmark DAC 1, than the reviews saying otherwise.

I own O2/odac combo and benchmark dac1 usb. They sound identical with my HD800 . The benchmark just brings dual headphone outs / optical in/ can be used with iphone as source. But for pure SQ THEY ARE IDENTICAL . Both completely transparent . If there was one moment that convinced me of transparency is was seeing these 2 completely different boxes of electronics sounding EXACTLY the same . It showed me that if it measures well it will sound the same regardless of price/ components /looks/ make / model etc. transparent is transparent and odac / O2 achieve this at a low cost .

May 28, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #4,331 of 5,671
I own O2/odac combo and benchmark dac1 usb. They sound identical with my HD800 . The benchmark just brings dual headphone outs / optical in/ can be used with iphone as source. But for pure SQ THEY ARE IDENTICAL . Both completely transparent . If there was one moment that convinced me of transparency is was seeing these 2 completely different boxes of electronics sounding EXACTLY the same . It showed me that if it measures well it will sound the same regardless of price/ components /looks/ make / model etc. transparent is transparent and odac / O2 achieve this at a low cost .

Thanks! My wallet thanks you. :) 

May 28, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #4,333 of 5,671

Thanks for your clafication, I have always itched a bit for some DAC upgradetitus but have been reading a collection of contradicting points of views. Another consideration for myself is that I purely use USB as a source, therefore I cannot help but see additional input choices (TOSLINK etc.) as unnecessary addition to cost, which seems to happen often on many of the higher priced DAC offerings.

For now I am using an ODAC and an amp (DIY SeNNator Project) filtered specifically to balance out the HD650, and it's a sound signature that I enjoy thoroughly. The O2 I have, I now use with a modded pair of T50RP's, it's uncanny how well the O2 works with those headphones.

My wallet can rest a bit longer.. For now..

May 28, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #4,334 of 5,671
No No No.

i try to not get (too much) caught up in hype. and hoping not to sound like a tosser..............

i have recently used the odac and o2 - i have no problem with either of them and particularly really like the value in the o2 - i think it's a fantastic buy

however i also recently bought a used irdac which sells for about 2-3 times the price of the odac and their is a distinct difference between the irdac and the odac.

they are not the same - if that is what is being implied here.

(the odac sells for about $220 AUD and the irdac sells for $600)

this does not make the odac any less in value for money but since buying the irdac the odac has been packed up (and is in fact in the classifieds)

there is no necessity to upgrade from the odac but if you find a dac that suits you and your equipment at the right price there could well be a reason to upgrade when the timing is right

with my hd800 the soundstage is more open and the sound is fuller/richer - no doubt about it

btw i am not one that subscribes to "sorry for your wallet" thinking but i'm one who looks for bang for buck within a budget (well.....usually a bit more than my budget)

cheers
peter

May 28, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #4,335 of 5,671
No No No.

i try to not get (too much) caught up in hype. and hoping not to sound like a tosser..............

i have recently used the odac and o2 - i have no problem with either of them and particularly really like the value in the o2 - i think it's a fantastic buy

however i also recently bought a used irdac which sells for about 2-3 times the price of the odac and their is a distinct difference between the irdac and the odac.

they are not the same - if that is what is being implied here.

(the odac sells for about $220 AUD and the irdac sells for $600)

this does not make the odac any less in value for money but since buying the irdac the odac has been packed up (and is in fact in the classifieds)

there is no necessity to upgrade from the odac but if you find a dac that suits you and your equipment at the right price there could well be a reason to upgrade when the timing is right

with my hd800 the soundstage is more open and the sound is fuller/richer - no doubt about it

btw i am not one that subscribes to "sorry for your wallet" thinking but i'm one who looks for bang for buck within a budget (well.....usually a bit more than my budget)

cheers
peter

That dac is changing the sound somehow or you are imagining it. Maybe both. Either way, Which ever you think or decide sounds best will give you more enjoyment regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back