O2 AMP + ODAC
Mar 19, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #4,188 of 5,671
Why do you need the schematic? Buy the PCB and case at jdslab. The PCB has a silkscreen of all the components so you just drop the right part in there and solder. I use my o2 as a desktop amp with no batteries, just a wall adapter.

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #4,191 of 5,671
  Hi guys. I am trying to build the O2 amp myself to save money rather than buying fully assembled (not really experienced, but since i can build my own PC and save cost so why not?).

I have found the website to buy the parts but can someone give me a link to the design (circuit design)? I have searched at the NwAvGuy blog but cant seem to find the circuit design. I apologize for asking a stupid favor (im a noob with this thing). My brother will also help me since he have more experience with doing this type of project

No offense mate, but saying you knowing how to build a PC helping you is more or less the same thing as you claiming to know how to shoot because you played a shooter. Nada. If you can't read the blueprint, or even something relatively simple as understanding how the thing is biased to achieve a certain gain, just swallow your pride and buy the whole thing assembled. If you think you'll save money by going this way, if you're inexperienced, you'll just end up wasting more money (from the wrong components. bad solder joints), lack of quality control from lack of testing equipment (ie. no sound or, worse, your amp delivering a dose of DC to your headphones), and most importantly, waste a lot of time which in the end is fruitless because you don't understand it.

If you're still keen, well, I guess go ahead. If I were you, pay heed to the other member's suggestions and grab the kit from JDS Lab or something. At least that stuff will work provided you follow the instructions.

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #4,192 of 5,671
Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. Im still not sure to build it or buy it assembled. I need to wait for it next week and in the mean time i will checkout and read the nwavguy's blog for more info. Anyway, i didnt expect building an amp would be the same like building a pc but im trying to cut cost as i have read the assembled is near double the price. Sorry if i make anyone feels uneasy because of my silly questions towards the o2!

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #4,194 of 5,671
Building a PC nowadays is nowhere near the complexity as what it was 20 years ago. Back then you must have at least a basic knowledge of electronics. Not just finding where each part fits. You can easily blow up a card just by setting the wrong jumper or inserted in wrong orientation.

Nonetheless a DIY project gives one a sort of satisfaction. But for the inexperienced, you should start with the kit and should follow the instructions. Plan ahead and read nwavguys blogs and don't be discouraged.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #4,195 of 5,671
I never built anything like the o2 but I have done some soldering. It really wasn't that difficult and there is tons of information on how to build and test it. If you're confident in your soldering abilities then I say go for it!

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #4,196 of 5,671
Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. Im still not sure to build it or buy it assembled. I need to wait for it next week and in the mean time i will checkout and read the nwavguy's blog for more info. Anyway, i didnt expect building an amp would be the same like building a pc but im trying to cut cost as i have read the assembled is near double the price. Sorry if i make anyone feels uneasy because of my silly questions towards the o2!

If you plan to build it yourself, in order to save money only, you are likely better off getting an assembled version.
You are going to save around $50, and this assuming you do not do any mistakes and fry something.
If instead you want to do that because you want to start an electronics DIY hobby, then hack away!

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #4,197 of 5,671

Double not-very-much is still not very much! Along with others, I also say that it is a small price to pay to get something that works and avoid the cost of wasting money on something that doesn't.  

I never built anything like the o2 but I have done some soldering. It really wasn't that difficult and there is tons of information on how to build and test it. If you're confident in your soldering abilities then I say go for it!

I can (or could, 20 years ago) solder as in gold, silver, gas torch, red-heat metal, acid baths, and all that stuff. I could do it well too. I cannot do neat electrical soldering. 

I'm not saying that I couldn't. I hear people who say it only needs practice, just like brazing/hard soldering. 

The last thing I tried was replacing a dead mouse-button switch, It was kill-or-cure on a throw-away item. I made it work, but with problems such as the trace coming away from the board, it was a truly horrible job. Wouldn't like to do that to an amplifier board.

The last thing I didn't try was replacing a broken USB cable on a HiFiMeDIY DAC. I stared and soul-searched, but however I looked at it, those solder points were just too close for my known skill level. It's no good doing number 4 properly when 1-3 are ruined. I found a man to whom it was easy and now my DAC works again.

There are DIY projects suited for beginners. Even projects that don't involve delicate PCB traces, where solder blobs are the order of the day. One of these days, I'll get that round tuit and learn electrical soldering. I don't think I'll be starting with an 02, though.

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #4,198 of 5,671
Dear all,
Has anyone tried to measure / compare the O2/ODAC with other setups such as Meier Audio's Classic/Daccord, or more expensive ones like SPL Auditor?
I am using the O2/ODAC from Epiphany Audio with the Beyerdynamic T1's and usually use HIGH GAIN at 12pm to 1pm and its already very loud. Sometimes I feel that the bass might be lacking though, but I'm not sure if its the real thing, or its an o2/odac weakness.
Thanks so much!

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #4,199 of 5,671
Hi Don,
Can you please share if there are any differences after you used your 15V AC 1A adapter compared to the original 230V->12V adapter?
Thanks!
best wishes,
Shu

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #4,200 of 5,671
So I've got a computer and a souncard that I don't use for the 7.1 features because they don't actually work very well with headphones. I bought it to avoid buying a DAC and amp but here I am. I'm thinking of getting the $280 combo or maybe the Schiit Modi/Magni stack, but the question I have is the same.

How the hell do I connect these things if I want to use my soundcard's features? It doesn't have optical or RCA out, only 3.5mm jacks for left/right/center/SPDIF. I read some threads about people who have used a soundcard's optical output to an external dac and amp, then to your headphones, but I just don't see how with the O2 or Schiit stack and my Xonar DX. Should I just accept the fact that the Amp/DAC combo will replace my soundcard and just go for it? I plan to overhaul my audio setup and pair the combo with some Beyerdynamic DT770/990's or alike headphones. I use all types of media like games with surround (motive for buying xonar dx), movies, and music obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back