O2 AMP + ODAC
Apr 2, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #1,202 of 5,671
Quote:
I just want to save the socket on the o2. Sometimes the headphone cable gets stuck in the jack caught on the pin.

The headphone out is tight indeed.  Get yourself an extension cable.  They work great and no messing around unplugging anymore.  I don't know where you are located but Monoprice has them for under $2 for the 6ft..

And no, they don't degrade the sound in any way.

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #1,203 of 5,671
Quote:
I just want to save the socket on the o2. Sometimes the headphone cable gets stuck in the jack caught on the pin.

Amazon may carry a cable you find suitable. Although availability seems to vary, the definitely carried 1' cables in January or February (the last time I looked.) Monoprice, who doesn't offer the same array of lengths, is likely to be cheaper.

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #1,204 of 5,671
Quote:

The headphone out is tight indeed.  Get yourself an extension cable.  They work great and no messing around unplugging anymore.  I don't know where you are located but Monoprice has them for under $2 for the 6ft..

And no, they don't degrade the sound in any way.

An extension cable can certainly degrade sound quality... I guess you haven't heard a crappy cable for 1 dollar or so? Try it out ,-)

That said, with quality DIY or reasonable priced adapter/cable (around 5-10USD and up, very rough estimate of course!), the only thing that could vary is frequency response (very slightly). Actual quality should be completely the same.

http://en.goldenears.net/1414
http://en.goldenears.net/KB_Columns/1921

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #1,205 of 5,671
Were the links supposed to be given in support of what you wrote or an unrelated issue?

That kind of impedance is pretty rare for a cheap cable, particularly if we're talking about short lengths. And even then, you might need a multi-BA IEM with a crossover to actually get non-trivial frequency response deviations (which are not the only possible changes, but probably the most significant ones). That's the only issue covered by the articles.

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #1,207 of 5,671
Quote:
Were the links supposed to be given in support of what you wrote or an unrelated issue?

That kind of impedance is pretty rare for a cheap cable, particularly if we're talking about short lengths. And even then, you might need a multi-BA IEM with a crossover to actually get non-trivial frequency response deviations (which are not the only possible changes, but probably the most significant ones). That's the only issue covered by the articles.

It was an example... I've had several adapters (seven at least) and cables (five at least) and yes - some were so crappy that they even couldn't deliver all the signal (the cheapest ones). The majority of them were just fine but slight variation in FR was present (side-by-side testing).

That said, the level of detail or noise level was most probably the same.

My rule: The less, the better (on both software and hardware level). Therefore avoiding any redundant part of my audio chain, including cables and adapters...

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #1,208 of 5,671
Quote:

An extension cable can certainly degrade sound quality... I guess you haven't heard a crappy cable for 1 dollar or so? Try it out ,-)

Quote:

My rule: The less, the better (on both software and hardware level). Therefore avoiding any redundant part of my audio chain, including cables and adapters...

Of course they can degrade sound quality but the one I stated does not.  I have three from Monoprice and connected them all to different amps and went around testing headphones using the adapter and no adapter and there was no difference.  I used eight different headphones.  I am not going to spend money on gear and then have an adapter that's going to bottleneck the chain.  So, you are correct in saying maybe the lesser quality ones do and no I have not listened to all the extension cables out there but also own the Grado 1/4" to mini as well as the 15ft. and various ones from Hosa.

And your rule is a great one and I relate to it because I don't always use the adapters but there are instances when they are necessary and it's good to know when I use them, I don't lose anything.

Apr 7, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #1,209 of 5,671
Hi guys, two simple question:
  • Can I use the O2+ODAC (I'm talking about the "single" solution, not the separated one) only as DAC? (es. source->O2+ODAC(only used as DAC)->AMP->Headphones).
  • Can I use the O2+ODAC only as Amp? (es. source->DAC->O2+ODAC(only used as AMP)->Headphones).

I think I read somewhere that the first case is possible, but I don't know about the second one.

Thanks.

Apr 7, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #1,210 of 5,671
Quote:
Hi guys, two simple question:
  • Can I use the O2+ODAC (I'm talking about the "single" solution, not the separated one) only as DAC? (es. source->O2+ODAC(only used as DAC)->AMP->Headphones).
  • Can I use the O2+ODAC only as Amp? (es. source->DAC->O2+ODAC(only used as AMP)->Headphones).

I think I read somewhere that the first case is possible, but I don't know about the second one.

Thanks.

Both is possible. Buy an O2/ODAC desktop combo from Mayflower Electronics and want RCAs to work as outputs - that way, you have 2x RCA output from ODAC (you bypass the amp) and 1/8 input to the amp (you bypass the DAC).

With ordinary combo unit, you only get 1/8 input to O2...

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #1,211 of 5,671
Quote:

Both is possible. Buy an O2/ODAC desktop combo from Mayflower Electronics and want RCAs to work as outputs - that way, you have 2x RCA output from ODAC (you bypass the amp) and 1/8 input to the amp (you bypass the DAC).

With ordinary combo unit, you only get 1/8 input to O2...

Is there an EU store that sell an O2/ODAC combo with the same mod? (I don't want to pay extra-taxes, I live in Italy)

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #1,213 of 5,671
Quote:

Is there an EU store that sell an O2/ODAC combo with the same mod? (I don't want to pay extra-taxes, I live in Italy)

I was selling this combo one week ago... Nevermind.

I don't think you could get this anywhere in EU. That said, Tyler is able to ship the unit and claim the price to be as high as you want. He shipped several things to me and I haven't paid anything extra until now.

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #1,214 of 5,671
Quote:
http://www.headnhifi.com/

That's the only EU store I know and use.

He wants a version with outputs from ODAC... headnhifi only offers an ordinary version as far as I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back