O2 AMP + ODAC
Feb 6, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #798 of 5,671
Quote:
What does this even mean?

It means the hd600 are very sensitive headphones, and that you'd never need the higher 6.5x gain to drive them. It would be ridiculously loud, at least with a desktop ~2Vrms source..

What gain do you guys use with your cans? I have my o2 set up with 1x/2.5x. Off the ODAC and grados/t50rp and sennheiser I pretty much exclusively use 1x.. With really quiet recordings I will use 2.5x.. and every once in a blue moon I might find 2.5 lacking, usually when I'm using my clip as a source, I don't think I've ever had the problem off the odac.

I think 1x/3.5x would be the ideal set up for someone with my sources, meaning the ODAC and Clip+. I might try to bump up the 2.5 to 3.5, anybody know if this should be doable?

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #799 of 5,671
Well, my Ultrasones are 'singin' with the O2...
biggrin.gif

Just received my good ol' extension cable from Monoprice so my unplug cycles will surely decrease now.  I don't mess with the source as much anymore (like it where it's at) and the WAU16-1000 is always plugged in so minimal unplugging for me on the O2..

beerchug.gif

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #800 of 5,671
Finally got it, desktop version of O2/ODAC combo with RCA outputs! My LCD-2 rev2 seem very happy now... So my ears are!
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #801 of 5,671
Quote:
While on the topic of high impedance headphones, though not really related to the O2, why do such headphones exist? I mean the DT880 comes in a whopping 600-ohm version....what benefits do higher impedance headphones offer other than having an amp's output impedance being negligible for the "magic" Z_load/Z_source value being greater or equal to 8?

They keep down the amount of current needed to supply a given power level. This comes in useful in studios where you have lots of headphones plugged into the same piece of equipment.

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #802 of 5,671
Quote:
It means the hd600 are very sensitive headphones, and that you'd never need the higher 6.5x gain to drive them. It would be ridiculously loud, at least with a desktop ~2Vrms source..

What gain do you guys use with your cans? I have my o2 set up with 1x/2.5x. Off the ODAC and grados/t50rp and sennheiser I pretty much exclusively use 1x.. With really quiet recordings I will use 2.5x.. and every once in a blue moon I might find 2.5 lacking, usually when I'm using my clip as a source, I don't think I've ever had the problem off the odac.

I think 1x/3.5x would be the ideal set up for someone with my sources, meaning the ODAC and Clip+. I might try to bump up the 2.5 to 3.5, anybody know if this should be doable?

ah I see, well I know that but just didn't think that was what he was saying. I have the 2.5x/6.5x, with the HD600s I use the 2.5x but I haven't really even gotten to enjoy the O2 yet as I'm waiting for my power adapter from mouser.com

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #804 of 5,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the Beyerdynamic DT 990 and T 70, Sennheiser HD-650, and Grado 325is. For my listening, the 2.5x setting is too much gain for any of them.

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #806 of 5,671
The O2 will sing because the E9 has some issues......

The main problem is an output impedance of 10 ohms on the 1/4” jack and 43 ohms on the 3.5 mm mini jack. Using the small jack will almost certainly affect frequency response and/or bass performance with many headphones—especially balanced armature IEMs (Shure, Etymotic Ultimate Ears, etc.). While using the bigger jack should work reasonably well for full size higher impedance headphones—80 ohms or higher.

Alex

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #807 of 5,671
Quote:
The O2 will sing because the E9 has some issues......

The main problem is an output impedance of 10 ohms on the 1/4” jack and 43 ohms on the 3.5 mm mini jack. Using the small jack will almost certainly affect frequency response and/or bass performance with many headphones—especially balanced armature IEMs (Shure, Etymotic Ultimate Ears, etc.). While using the bigger jack should work reasonably well for full size higher impedance headphones—80 ohms or higher.

Alex

my original post referred to the O2 vs E9 with the HD600's (300 ohms), so the high output impedance of the E9 doesn't really effect the synergy between the E9 and 600's.
I'm not in love with the E9, just wondering why many feel the O2 is leaps and bounds ahead of it with high impedance cans. (I've never heard the O2, and am debating getting one - just trying to decide if spending $150 is worthwhile in my case, considering that I already own the E9)

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #808 of 5,671
So... For the third time now I am experiencing noise in the right channel of my o2 while I move the pot during a bass test..

My first o2 I replaced the pot on and it fixed the problem for a while.. When it came back I bought a completely different o2 from jds thinking maybe the problem was my particular o2.. Nope, seems like it's just a problem these pots have. And not a huge problem at that.. It can just be annoying while I'm running sine sweeps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMd9eYXT0mM

Please, for the love of all that is headphones. Could a few of you listen to this track and move your volume pot around and tell me if you get any scratching in the right channel?

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #809 of 5,671
Quote:
So... For the third time now I am experiencing noise in the right channel of my o2 while I move the pot during a bass test..

My first o2 I replaced the pot on and it fixed the problem for a while.. When it came back I bought a completely different o2 from jds thinking maybe the problem was my particular o2.. Nope, seems like it's just a problem these pots have. And not a huge problem at that.. It can just be annoying while I'm running sine sweeps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMd9eYXT0mM

Please, for the love of all that is headphones. Could a few of you listen to this track and move your volume pot around and tell me if you get any scratching in the right channel?

Nothing unusual pops up for me while listening to that track with an AKG K 701 on the ODAC and O2 units I have. Adjusting the potentiometer yielded nothing unusual either, unless the cymbal sounds are what you're referring to as "scratching sounds".

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #810 of 5,671
Quote:
Nothing unusual pops up for me while listening to that track with an AKG K 701 on the ODAC and O2 units I have. Adjusting the potentiometer yielded nothing unusual either, unless the cymbal sounds are what you're referring to as "scratching sounds".

Nooope. It'd hit you like a sack of bricks if yours had the same problem that mine keep getting. It's not terrible, but its quite noticeable. I just used this track because it's pretty bassy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back