O2 AMP + ODAC
Jul 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #62 of 5,671
I dont see any issue with the O2 and the HD800. The HD800 is well within the O2's capability.
What I have personally seen is this combo will allow you to hear what your cans really sound like.

Try many different CD's etc.....you will  be amazed at how revealing and accurate music will be good or bad...

For the price you cant go wrong and as you spend mega-bucks on your future systems it will be fun to compare back this LOW dollar setup!

Alex

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #63 of 5,671
The ODAC arrived yesterday, had to solder a 3.5 audio out jack to the board and listened for 2 hrs with LCD2's and Grado 325is....will report back later with details....will put the ODAC in a seperate X Box enclosure with both mini and RCA jacks functional.

All this stuff for approx $250 from JDALabs.....great service and always answered my email and phone calls promptly and courteously....

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #65 of 5,671
And it really sounds...well like no sound...its the source and the cans.....a very nice inexpensive setup that will allow u to hear your source and cans....as objectively as it gets in this hobby or pastime etc...

Alex

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #66 of 5,671
I dont see any issue with the O2 and the HD800. The HD800 is well within the O2's capability.
What I have personally seen is this combo will allow you to hear what your cans really sound like.

Try many different CD's etc.....you will  be amazed at how revealing and accurate music will be good or bad...

For the price you cant go wrong and as you spend mega-bucks on your future systems it will be fun to compare back this LOW dollar setup!

Alex

Aha, thanks.
I received my O2 amp and ODAC and have been enjoying my HD800 through them. Not as warm sounding as the E17 but I noticed the E17 was a bit colored.
Yes, it does reveal a lot in the songs xD

How do you think it will fare with the LCD2 r1 though?

Aug 4, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #67 of 5,671
Its a very neutral amp and it will drive the LCD2's R1 or R2 very, very well...the power needed to drive these cans are pretty much the same the impedance is a bit different but nothing this amp cant drive loud enough to cause hearing loss if your not careful.

Alex

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #68 of 5,671
Quote:
If I understand you right, you prefer some other device's sound quality to the ODAC+O2. This means either you have a faulty ODAC/O2 or the other device is an imperfect DAC/AMP and you prefer your music with the 'adjustment' it makes to your music.

Do you mind elaborating the purpose of this post? I find this incredibly unhelpful and borderline religious (not to mention misguided, subjective bias anyone?). 

Aug 4, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #69 of 5,671
Do you mind elaborating the purpose of this post? I find this incredibly unhelpful and borderline religious (not to mention misguided, subjective bias anyone?). 

I think he's trying to say that since the O2+ODAC are incredibly neutral and don't color the sound, that you must prefer an amp that colors the sound or that you have a defective O2+ODAC that isn't giving you the top notch quality that it's supposed to.

adydula said:
Its a very neutral amp and it will drive the LCD2's R1 or R2 very, very well...the power needed to drive these cans are pretty much the same the impedance is a bit different but nothing this amp cant drive loud enough to cause hearing loss if your not careful.

Alex

Aha, thanks.
And I'm always trying to be careful with my volume levels whether it be with earbuds on the go where I sometimes might have the urge to increase the volume to drown out more sound or at home when I want to immerse myself even more.

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #70 of 5,671

The whole point of the O2/Odac combo is that it is a perfect hifi source/amp: the music is being reproduced exactly as produced. So to say that you prefer another combo over the O2 means that either the O2/ODAC is defective or that you prefer the audio flaws of the other amp. But to call the other amp 'better' is really a nonsense.

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #72 of 5,671
Quote:
The whole point of the O2/Odac combo is that it is a perfect hifi source/amp: the music is being reproduced exactly as produced. So to say that you prefer another combo over the O2 means that either the O2/ODAC is defective or that you prefer the audio flaws of the other amp. But to call the other amp 'better' is really a nonsense.

Fanboyism taken too far.

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #74 of 5,671
Fanboyism taken too far.

Not really. The O2 has been publicly verified :

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-headphone-amp-measurement-program-update-july-2012

In consideration of that, neither is there reason to doubt the designer's ODAC measurements.

The only thing that might be an issue is if one has extremely power-hungry headphones where distortion might occur but more likely just be quiet. But there are precious few of those. The HE6 is thought to need more power than the O2 can provide.

Sonically reviewing the O2 and declaring another amp 'better' is only to reveal a lack of understanding of what the O2 is all about (other than in the power department, of course). It's not just an amp: it's a demonstration that hifi can be had for not much money and that people are being ripped off.

If the other amp is also a perfect hifi source, which any properly designed amp should be, then neither would be better.

One of the marvels of the clip+, for example, is that it is almost hifi. It has a tiny bit of almost inaudible noise but that's about it. A clip+ with O2, or the O2/DOAC combo for a PC/MAC gets you hifi everywhere.

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #75 of 5,671
Quote:
Not really. The O2 has been publicly verified :
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-headphone-amp-measurement-program-update-july-2012
In consideration of that, neither is there reason to doubt the designer's ODAC measurements.
The only thing that might be an issue is if one has extremely power-hungry headphones where distortion might occur but more likely just be quiet. But there are precious few of those. The HE6 is thought to need more power than the O2 can provide.
Sonically reviewing the O2 and declaring another amp 'better' is only to reveal a lack of understanding of what the O2 is all about (other than in the power department, of course). It's not just an amp: it's a demonstration that hifi can be had for not much money and that people are being ripped off.
If the other amp is also a perfect hifi source, which any properly designed amp should be, then neither would be better.
One of the marvels of the clip+, for example, is that it is almost hifi. It has a tiny bit of almost inaudible noise but that's about it. A clip+ with O2, or the O2/DOAC combo for a PC/MAC gets you hifi everywhere.

No one has ever said that it doesn't measure nicely. Proves nothing.

You are one of those believers of no amp does or should sound any different and if it does it's flawed or wrong.
Yet, I'm going to presume you haven't listened to much gear, therefore, you don't trust your ears.

I don't subscribe to measurements yet, they do have their rightful place in the scheme of things. 

The O2 is a great value ODAC as well, However I've heard plenty amps that are better, of course, IMO. But you'll just chalk it up to my love for distortion. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back