O2 AMP + ODAC
Feb 13, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #5,371 of 5,671
So the Multibit option is the way to go for sure? I have not read much comparison yet on that but I've looked at it vs gungnir and doesn't seem to be a $400 difference unless going balanced.

I have been considering getting it ($600) with a burson soloist ($400). Should I spend more on a DAC than the amp? One person said to spend the most on the headphones and amp and to cheap out on the dac was best? This would be to go with a Hifiman he400i and Fostex th900. There was a convincing review on here by sumofallparts saying how good the th900+burson solist was. Would that combo be good for $1,000?

Now that they have Modi Multibit you can literally get a Multibit DAC for $250.

Personally i think that can't be beat at that price.

Magni is $99, or you could use your O2DAC's Amplifier stage only since you already have it. meaning you could get a better DAC for $250 only.

I wouldn't go crazy on the higher end setups unless you have some really really high end refined cans with some serious power requirements.

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #5,372 of 5,671
I agree. Particularly for USB cables, those don't have to be expensive but it's very important that the data and power wires the cable are properly isolated or shielded from each other as any interference between the two may cause audible and measurable noise/distortion.

Well the power cable runs from the back of the o2-amp-odac to the power brick and the usb cable goes to the front and hooks on my computer. I saw audio quest usb cable for 30-40$ and gold plated Belkin that looked good quality for $10. So worth $10 or no.

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #5,373 of 5,671
Well the power cable runs from the back of the o2-amp-odac to the power brick and the usb cable goes to the front and hooks on my computer. I saw audio quest usb cable for 30-40$ and gold plated Belkin that looked good quality for $10. So worth $10 or no.

Among those I've tried with my USB-powered DAC, the AudioQuest Forest, HP printer USB cable and QED Performance Graphite seem to all have poor data and power line isolation. Monoprice, Analysis Plus USB 2.0 and Wireworld Ultraviolet offer good isolation and quality.

BTW, shorter cable lengths are more ideal.

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #5,374 of 5,671
Now that they have Modi Multibit you can literally get a Multibit DAC for $250.

Personally i think that can't be beat at that price.

Magni is $99, or you could use your O2DAC's Amplifier stage only since you already have it. meaning you could get a better DAC for $250 only.

I wouldn't go crazy on the higher end setups unless you have some really really high end refined cans with some serious power requirements.

Yeah the o2-amp-odac has enough to power it OK I think, but do you think the higher end DAC (bifrost multibit vs Magni Multibit) would help with sensitive, high quality th900 hp?

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #5,375 of 5,671
Among those I've tried with my USB-powered DAC, the AudioQuest Forest, HP printer USB cable and QED Performance Graphite seem to all have poor data and power line isolation. Monoprice, Analysis Plus USB 2.0 and Wireworld Ultraviolet offer good isolation and quality.

BTW, shorter cable lengths are more ideal.

Thanks, I've been a Mono price fan for or a while now, will look there

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #5,376 of 5,671
Yeah the o2-amp-odac has enough to power it OK I think, but do you think the higher end DAC (bifrost multibit vs Magni Multibit) would help with sensitive, high quality th900 hp?

No I don't think that it would be better.
Magni is also a Amp and Bifrost is a DAC.

Bifrost and Modi have the same DAC chips inside of them, the only difference is the power supply + upgradability.

personally I am going to try out Modi Multibit first and then see if I want to invest in a higher end multibit later on.

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #5,377 of 5,671
No I don't think that it would be better.
Magni is also a Amp and Bifrost is a DAC.

Bifrost and Modi have the same DAC chips inside of them, the only difference is the power supply + upgradability.

personally I am going to try out Modi Multibit first and then see if I want to invest in a higher end multibit later on.

Yeah meant Modi, you are right. Well, they allow returns and I even think they suggest getting two different items and just returning the one we don't want so that's my next idea. May get the burson and audition it too! (Amazon has a great return policy if I don't care for it).

Think I have a plan now! I appreciate all the ideas

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #5,378 of 5,671
Yeah meant Modi, you are right. Well, they allow returns and I even think they suggest getting two different items and just returning the one we don't want so that's my next idea. May get the burson and audition it too! (Amazon has a great return policy if I don't care for it).

Think I have a plan now! I appreciate all the ideas

No problem man, happy listening!

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #5,379 of 5,671
You guys really lost me here with the multibit talk. Most DS DACs are multibit (including the ODAC). Instead of 1 switch they usually have about 3-6 (good luck getting that info from their datasheets). 1 bit DACs are rather uncommon nowadays. It's pretty much DS vs old school R2R, or simply explained a few switches vs lots of resistors.

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #5,380 of 5,671
You guys really lost me here with the multibit talk. Most DS DACs are multibit (including the ODAC). Instead of 1 switch they usually have about 3-6 (good luck getting that info from their datasheets). 1 bit DACs are rather uncommon nowadays. It's pretty much DS vs old school R2R, or simply explained a few switches vs lots of resistors.

I'm kinda new but look at schiit audio's site and you have the option to get delta Sigma dacs, or multibit for more money.

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #5,381 of 5,671

Multibit in what we were talking about a R2R actual full ladder DAC's processing a full 16-21 bits simultaneously.

I know that the ODAC uses a TI DAC with advanced segment Delta-sigma processing. So does the FiiO K1 (infact they use the same DAC).

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #5,384 of 5,671
They will charge more anyways. An R2R is expensive by design and not necessarily better, this is why it's a dying breed. There are pros and cons for both, some swear by DS, some by R2R, but R2Rs will die out sooner or later. There's also a good thread about this in the sound science section, but we are really going off topic here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back