O2 AMP + ODAC
Feb 29, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #4,981 of 5,671
Be careful painting with a broad brush.....your asking about a DAC. Which indeed may not have much of a sonic difference from the ODAC and others...but your headphones need electrcial energy to move the transducers in them to make analog sound!

This translates into power, voltage, current, impedance etc...

The dac may be very good or inaudible in the chain, but if your headphones and the amp part of your mobo, laptop or pc sound card, apple etc....may not have what it takes to drive your headphones.

People buy headphones plug them in stuff and start wondering if it will sound better with other stuff....and the buying and trying starts....

The best thing is to try them with what you have and if they sound great fine, then find a friend or go to an audio show and try your headphones in other gear and make your decisions.

Good Luck!

A.

Feb 29, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #4,982 of 5,671
Hi dude. I don't have friend and headphone store with AKG stuff to try it out. And they certainly doesn't have o2...
And like i said, i say it very kindly, you are part of the people who say "go try it and see". But i can't have a straight answere with specs comparaisons to prove it :) Because it's still a max 450 euros investement for a O2(150 all gift) plus the headphone (330 for me). I can't buy o2 from amazon so if i buy directly on mayflowers or JBL, i will pay return package like 20euros or more to get a refund...

I think more and more to just forget about all of this. Wait like max 5 years and replace my pc with a very high end motherboard that will certainly kill every 250 dollars DAC/AMP ore more here :) I say certainly because high end motherboard today may already does it (i asked a guy with the lastest msi card on the 1151 market and he said it was exactly like the o2/odac stuff, very clean and powerfull). It would be maybe better to save up for this. Better investment than investing in an industry product that is going down (motherboard will kill progressivly music store concerning the dac/amp stuff).
Only the Headphone industry will be bigger :)

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #4,983 of 5,671
Hi pocahontas, 

I believe Alex was only trying to help here. As a general rule, you should need to listen to equipment before buying, because there's a risk involved here. Most people find O2 as being a decent headphone amplifier, so either you trust all that head-fiers, either you'll need to find a way to test it.

I have a friend with https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_BLACK_EDITION/specifications/ :
- Cirrus Logic® CS4398 DAC: 120 dB SNR, -107 dB THD+N (Max. 192 kHz/ 24 -bit)
- TI 6120A2 high fidelity headphone amplifier
- WIMA® film capacitors
- ELNA® premium audio capacitors
- High-fidelity audio OP AMP(s)
- Differential circuit design
- NEC TOKIN UC2 audio relay

He never used the on-board for analog playback, he's just using the digital outputs, instead he bought a Phoebus and now he's having ASUS Essence One MUSES Mkii (like I have). For example in A/B tests the internal amplifier from Essence One is on pair with O2 amplifier when AKG K550 or AKG K701 are used.

I will speak again with my friend if he agrees to let me do an A/B test between his onboard and my O2 amplifier, using AKG K701 as headphones (his workstation has about 50 kg, so it's complicated to access the motherboard soundcard plugs if are on the backside).

Meantime you may read these to help deciding:
- https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/2i8wsm/need_help_deciding_objective2_amp_gain_for_k712s/
- http://www.head-fi.org/t/721058/hd-600-or-akg-k712-with-the-odac-o2

Cheers, 
Raul.

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #4,984 of 5,671
Thanks...its not as black and white as people would like it to be.....

I had AKG 702's for a year or so across many amps and dacs....sold them for T90's....

I never have really even considered using PC dac or amp sections for serious listening...but things do change.

I spend 32 years working for a LARGE PC Company and know most of the sound stuff was really el cheopo and less than stellar in 
specs and performance....and the specs didnt tell the whole story.....

I go go on for a long time on this.

Alex

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #4,985 of 5,671
  Hi dude. I don't have friend and headphone store with AKG stuff to try it out. And they certainly doesn't have o2...
And like i said, i say it very kindly, you are part of the people who say "go try it and see". But i can't have a straight answere with specs comparaisons to prove it :) Because it's still a max 450 euros investement for a O2(150 all gift) plus the headphone (330 for me). I can't buy o2 from amazon so if i buy directly on mayflowers or JBL, i will pay return package like 20euros or more to get a refund...

I think more and more to just forget about all of this. Wait like max 5 years and replace my pc with a very high end motherboard that will certainly kill every 250 dollars DAC/AMP ore more here :) I say certainly because high end motherboard today may already does it (i asked a guy with the lastest msi card on the 1151 market and he said it was exactly like the o2/odac stuff, very clean and powerfull). It would be maybe better to save up for this. Better investment than investing in an industry product that is going down (motherboard will kill progressivly music store concerning the dac/amp stuff).

Sorry but you are wrong. The best motherboards today have sound cards on them comparable to 50-60 dollar aftermarket cards. The same will be true in the future, motherboards will never reach the level of sound quality that separate audio components will have, for very obvious reasons.  Making a good sounding audio product is far more difficult than just throwing together a lot of good quality parts that have good specs. Also, the measurements that are used on spec sheets today (freq response, thd, snr, etc.) have very little to do with actual sound quality and perceived sound. You can't just say "oh look, this motherboard has 120 dB SNR, must be better than that 2000 dollar DAC that has 115 dB SNR). They just describe a very, very small portion of the sound that a device produces, and sadly, 99% of people who are in this hobby don't understand what those measurements mean and how they translate to actual sound, and how little they actually tell you about the sound. On top of that, those measurements are good enough to not have an audible effect in most equipment nowadays, which tells you that there are many other factors that you don't get measurements of that have a big effect on the sound. One of the reasons why O2 amp measures better than many high end amps, but actually sound clearly inferior to them. O2 was specifically designed to measure well in those few areas and then use those measurements as a means of marketing and advertising. It's still not a bad amp for the money, but it's highly overrated by those people who give too much credit to those few numbers on paper. The same "trick", if you will, is used by manufacturers of motherboards with "high end" integrated soundcards. Measures good, doesn't mean it sounds good. It's like judging cars strictly by how much horsepower they have.

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #4,986 of 5,671

Sorry but you are wrong. The best motherboards today have sound cards on them comparable to 50-60 dollar aftermarket cards.

Hi, so if you are right, then can you please give me a good comparaisons's numbers of the specs between the ALC1150 and the ODAC revb or Schiit in optimal situation?
Because at this point, i can only bielieve you but i can't put my trust. You just can't get the words of any one as granted.
It's like in the old days when white people talked about the bible to illiterate people...
I have not the skill to compare and the money to spend to compare. Only thing i have is a bit of time for asking people that know the answere and can give it to me freely(talking about internet) :frowning2:

Here you can find on the page the ODAC REV B specs:
https://www.jdslabs.com/products/46/standalone-odac-rev-b/

And here for exemple, the ALC1150 specs:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=328

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #4,987 of 5,671

Hi, so if you are right, then can you please give me a good comparaisons's numbers of the specs between the ALC1150 and the ODAC revb or Schiit in optimal situation?
Because at this point, i can only bielieve you but i can't trust. You just can't get the words of any one as granted.

Go get an electrical engineering degree then we'll talk. :p

In the meantime, you can listen to one of the best engineers and experts in the world in this field who has been designing the best audio measurement equipment in the world for many, many years. Might change your mind about comparing audio equipment just based on some specs on paper that only tell you half of the story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V6YN-mshmY

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #4,988 of 5,671

Hi Pocahontas. I wanted an 1150 chipset when I bought my new computer, but I settled for the ALC 892 chipset to save some money. That said, My chipset came with "premium ELNA" caps and boasts a SNR of over 90 dB at all outputs (DAC and headphones - the threshold, I thought, for "inaudibility"). It has no dedicated TI Headphone amp, which in every case I have checked, has a very high output impedance of 10 Ohms. Hence, it should work best with headphones with an impedance of 80 ohms or more. Like with other computer chipsets, I don't know how it is typically implemented, or what power it can put out at difference impedances. I have no idea what the distortion profile looks like (because, measuring distortion at one frequency does not give you the whole picture, and never will. Lots of amps are "clean" at 1 khz but "noisy" at 5-20 khz, critical treble areas).

Based on specs alone, the 892 should output 1V to an amp (a little low but adequate for all my gear). It claims 1.1V RMS @ 32 Ohms for headphone output, with an output impedance of 2 Ohms, making it suitable, in theory, for 16 ohm or higher headphones. With 5 mA of current,it may put out 5 milliwatts or so. 10-100 mWs would be a lot better in terms of working for more headphones, but even 5 is technically "a lot".

Does that beat the ODAC, or the O2? The short answer is, no it does not. There is audible "hiss" in my chipset, compared to the "black" background of my O2/ODAC. DAC-to-DAC, IMO, the Realtek sounds great, but softer or less "detailed" than the Sabre chip in the ODAC. Everytime I go back to the ODAC, I am getting a better listening experience. Is that just because 2V is greater than 1V? Is it because the SNR of the ODAC is higher than the ALC 892? Probably, but also the Sabre probably just has better filters (e.g. is a better design). Do the Intel Core i3 and Core i7s perform the same, clock for clock? No. Do you need an i7?

On the amp side, while 1 mW can get you 90-100+ decibels on a lot of headphones, in reality and so far, the Realtek fails to make the headphones I use regularly sound their best. My HE-400s (~90 dB sensitivity, 50 Ohms) and my Sennheiser HD595s (50 Ohm impedance with big 200 Ohm swings) sound a lot better on the O2 than on any other headphone jack I have (my Yamaha AV receiver included). Only my PSBs (30 ohm-ish) seem to sound very similar whether powered by my computer or my O2/ODAC. They are very efficient, and have a very flat impedance measurement, suggesting they are quite easy to drive so power is not the critical limiting factor. The HE-400s have a flat impedance curve, and should be easy to drive, but clearly having more power brought out the best in them (something I wouldn't have noticed based on specs alone). You may hate me saying it, but, yes, it was "dat bass" that was most clearly extending deeper and punching harder.

Oh by the way, some of my music sounds horrible, because the quality of the recording is horrible. No DAC or Amp can change that.

You can dismiss my thoughts because I do not have the 1150, and indeed if I did the comparison would likely be harder to make. In my opinion, until computer chipsets combine very good DAC performance WITH very good amp performance (e.g. near 0 output impedance, low distortion power of about a half-watt or so), they will not replace my O2 / ODAC. As a pure signal pass-on, the Realtek is good nuff' and I use the optical digital like to feed my receiver, a role it does perfectly. I use the ODAC to feed a small 2 channel amp (which, again, sounds better than the Realtek). But the ODAC doesn't do 192 khz audio, and can't pass on a 5.1 surround signal etc. which makes me glad to have a computer chipset that handles all that stuff natively.

IF you have to go all the way to an 1150/1151 chipset to get O2/ODAC quality, and so are buying "overclocking" gaming motherboards for $150-$200 bucks or whatever to get that chipset, and don't plan to overclock / game etc., then you are still wasting your money. 
biggrin.gif
I paid like $70 bucks for my mobo, passed on all the high-end nonsense and overclocking features and dumped the savings into an amp that is almost guaranteed to rock whatever headphones I want, not just the ones that spec right. So there!

I would be the first to recommend that you listen to your headphones on your computer and if you like it, good, great, nothing to see here, save your money. I used my HD595s for 3 years on a laptop and a desktop, always finding them "good, not great". They I bought better headphones. Then I NEEDED an amp. Then, after all that, I realized the HD595s sounded almost like a different headphone on the O2. IMO DACs are "10%" of the performance you buy. Headphones are 70-80%. An amp, speaker depending, can be very high value or very low value.

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #4,989 of 5,671

Because at this point, i can only bielieve you but i can't put my trust. You just can't get the words of any one as granted.
It's like in the old days when white people talked about the bible to illiterate people...
I have not the skill to compare and the money to spend to compare. Only thing i have is a bit of time for asking people that know the answere and can give it to me freely(talking about internet) :frowning2:

Here you can find on the page the ODAC REV B specs:
https://www.jdslabs.com/products/46/standalone-odac-rev-b/

And here for exemple, the ALC1150 specs:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=328

The only way to tell what's better is to listen to it. As I've said already, once you reach a certain level of "objective" or "technical" performance in areas that are measured and listed on the spec sheets, you reach a point where improving those specs can but DOES NOT guarantee you'll get a better subjective sound, because at that point, other aspects start to matter too. And the point is, a vast majority of well designed audio products at all price ranges today have reached that level in those specific measurements, that's why you won't find massive differences in those few measurements specs between 200 dollar portable DAC's and some high end DAC's, but you will hear a difference because of other factors that you can't read out of the spec sheets. To put it into an example, if you compare two cars, one has 200hp and the other 400hp, and they weigh about the same, the 400hp one will be obviously faster. But if you have two cars, one that has 900hp, other has 950hp, and they weigh about the same, then you can't say the 950 hp one will be faster, because at that point other factors come into play and have a much bigger effect, torque, is is rwd or awd, where the engine is, aerodynamics, gearing, tire width and compound, even a slightly wrong tire pressure can decide the faster car. And then you can start comparing other things, because one 950hp car might be the Mclaren P1, and the other might be a tuned up Subaru Impreza that's built for drag racing, which brings you to a conclusion that two things that looked so similar when you read the first two specs, are actually totally different. The same is true for audio measurements, they only tell you such a small part of the story, but people assume they tell you everything. You have to keep in mind that those specs you see on the boxes of products have been put there because they're simple enough for an average person to sort of understand, but mainly for marketing reasons, because manufacturers know about the psychology of buyers, and they know that many people associate higher numbers with better quality, a lot of them even say "higher value is better" next to measurements, Asus does that for example, as if you're gonna hear a difference between 115 and 118 dB SNR,  0,05% THD and 0,02% THD and 5-30000 or 2-50000hz frequency response, but if you see two products that cost the same, and you can't decide which to get, guess which one most people will pick.  Also, you have to keep in mind that the way an amp for example measures in a lab using synthetic tests is not necessarily how it will perform. It's one thing to measure a frequency response or distortion levels while using sweeps or simple tones, and it's a different thing to perform the same when actually playing music, which is far more complex than just a single 1khz tone at 90db for example. Not to mention that those specs also depends on which country the product comes from and which standards were used to measure the performance.

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #4,990 of 5,671

I would be the first to recommend that you listen to your headphones on your computer and if you like it, good, great, nothing to see here, save your money. I used my HD595s for 3 years on a laptop and a desktop, always finding them "good, not great". They I bought better headphones. Then I NEEDED an amp. Then, after all that, I realized the HD595s sounded almost like a different headphone on the O2. IMO DACs are "10%" of the performance you buy. Headphones are 70-80%. An amp, speaker depending, can be very high value or very low value.

Yes that is very true, and it's a mistake a lot of people who are new in this hobby make.

Feb 29, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #4,991 of 5,671
  One of the reasons why O2 amp measures better than many high end amps, but actually sound clearly inferior to them. O2 was specifically designed to measure well in those few areas and then use those measurements as a means of marketing and advertising. It's still not a bad amp for the money, but it's highly overrated by those people who give too much credit to those few numbers on paper. The same "trick", if you will, is used by manufacturers of motherboards with "high end" integrated soundcards. Measures good, doesn't mean it sounds good. It's like judging cars strictly by how much horsepower they have.

I actually paid around 60 EUR for my O2 DIY kit, so I think O2 it's really a bargain for every frugal audiophile. Well, with all the upgrades I did, now I probably got to a total of about 75 EUR (WIMA caps & tantalums for decoupling, RCAs + back power + 6.3mm Neutrik plugs etc.).

Many thanks for the Youtube movie! I'm totally with you when saying that one amplifier that measures better than a second one may actually sound worse when A/B'ing, but one thing's for sure: if an amp measures really bad, then it's impossible to sound good, that's for sure and by "measures bad" I mean noise worse than -95dB, output linearity worse than +/-0.5 dB across audio band, THD worse than 0.5% for solid-states and worse than 5% for tubes etc. Though, I had a DIY amp few years ago that was oscillating and was having a noise of around -80dB between 2MHz - 4MHz and sound was quite OK, because between 20-20.000 Hz amp was measuring pretty well. :)

To be honest, I don't think O2 is "highly overrated" for it's price tag, because when A/B'ing between my O2 and the internal headamp from Essence One MUSES I was unable to discern any noticeable differences with my AKG K550, AKG K701 and Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones. Perhaps with other headphones like Senheiser HD 800 I should get an advantage for the headamp inside Essence One, but I don't own these headphones right now. (Essence One is using the same schematic published by TI in LME49600 datasheet, which is about the same as "the wire" headamp). I had also compared O2 with a LME49720+TA6120A2 amplifier and also with a LME49720+BUF634 amplifier and sound was about the same to my ears. One amp I have that sounds way much better than O2 and this is my Matrix M-Stage HPA-3B that has a much better soundstage and instruments separation, but we're already speaking of a much higher price tag here.

Regards, 
Raul.

Feb 29, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #4,992 of 5,671

The only way to tell what's better is to listen to it. As I've said already, once you reach a certain level of "objective" or "technical" performance in areas that are measured and listed on the spec sheets, you reach a point where improving those specs can but DOES NOT guarantee you'll get a better subjective sound, because at that point, other aspects stat to matter far more. To put it into an example, if you compare two cars, one has 200hp and the other 400hp, and they weigh about the same, the 400hp one will be obviously faster. But if you have two cars, one that has 900hp, other has 950hp, and the weigh about the same, then you can't say the 950 hp one will be faster, because at that point even a slightly wrong tire pressure can decide the faster car. And then you can start comparing other things, because one 950hp car might be the Mclaren P1, and the other might be a tuned up Subaru Impreza that's built for drag racing.

I commented your last but i will start speaking about your first comment. I felt it like a "haughty" response to my post.

First, you didn't answere my question. You basicaly said to some one you didn't know over the internet to "go learn it yourself" instead of helping him? Isn't it the complete opposite of what a community is and by a more global logic "internet" ? You used an old trick to elude my question.
As for an exemple, you are some one talking maybe to Einstein(who i'm not) and you just say without even watching him "Man, look at your orthography... your theory is not even worth reading". It's not revelent. It doesn't bring anything on the table and you are sadly simply avoiding the question by masquerading me as a cute,
but stupid monkey...

And i don't want to be rude as some one who doesn't know a lot about this subject but i found it funny that you doesn't keep your "defence line" about the subject. First you say that 2016 high end motherboard have the onboard sound quality of a 50 dollars soundcard. Secondly, you come to me saying that it's just a matter of a "level of objectivity and technicality". So, you are basicaly saying the opposite.
I'm sorry but you are condracting yourself there :frowning2:

EDIT: many other posts to read on this topic

Feb 29, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #4,993 of 5,671
Hi MrMateoHead :) Thx you for your answere.

As you said, you paid a low end motherboard with an older chipset to save up money. Then you use the difference in money you savec on better materials.
But at first, because it's a low end motherboard, it had certainly not very high quality concerning the sound part. Now basicaly every motherboard coming up with the ALC1150 does have a minimum of shield protection.

What you said is still interesting but you compared a low end motherboard sound with an older chipset versus an external product. An odac in your motherboard should sound as worse i think.
Here, we are with a good motherboard with shield protection, really better chipset and an integrated amp over the top. It can't really be compared :frowning2:

Hi raoultrifan

I believe more in the O2 than the DAC coming with it :) For the price, it outperform high price AMP and it was it's primary objective !

Feb 29, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #4,994 of 5,671
After all, someone traded an expensive Chord Hugo for an ALC1150 motherboard here http://www.head-fi.org/t/685163/a-researched-question-about-realtek-1150-vs-sound-card/15#post_11038456, so perhaps you could be OK with this all-in-one solution after all, though I would still recommend you to buy an external DAC & headamp, not only because I consider it a good price/quality ratio, but you also need to take in consideration that an external DAC & headamp may be unplugged and installed on many other computers as well.

Also, some people here http://hardforum.com/threads/alc1150-vs-usb-dedicated-asus-xonar-u7.1853931/ thinks that ASUS U7 may sound better than 2 motherboards using ALC1150 codec, but I tell you for sure that U7 is no better than ODAC+O2 in terms of high fidelity or output power (I own U7 and did A/B test between U7 and O2).

Feb 29, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #4,995 of 5,671
I have done many BLIND AB tests with the o2 and other amps....and almost all the time I cant and other folks cant tell the difference when they dont know whats behind the curtain, but as soon as they see and can play with the volume controls they all of a sudden become sonic experts and see to be able to  tell the "difference with same stuff they just were fooled by!!

Subjective analysis is hard to quantify!! 

You can spend a lot of money and get good sound and you can spend very little money and get good sound....name your poison...

The O2 is and will be one of the best amps ever made for 98% of headphones...

A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back