O1 Headphone AMP/DAC ===> Octavart
Apr 23, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #91 of 136
It looks like the Octavart DAC/amp is cleared out now.

I almost decided to get one last night but hesitated. Now it's too late.
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #93 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it shows that it is still available, but the pictures look to be mixed up. they're showing the pictures for the amp only model.

Hmmmm... I may be indirectly responsible for that...

I ordered one of the amp's at $99 only about an hour ago, and the info page/pictures were fine at the time. Now everything's all messed up. It might have been the last one, and something got screwed up on the page now.

If that was the last one, don't come after me with pitch forks and torches!!
wink.gif

The payment was sent through PayPal, but I guess I'll see tomorrow if the order actually went through on their end (i.e. if there were actually any models left for my order). I hope so...
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #94 of 136
And the other weird thing is that the DAC/amp model wasn't available on the page when I ordered the amp... but it's okay because it was the amp that I wanted anyway...

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #95 of 136
Quote:

it shows that it is still available, but the pictures look to be mixed up. they're showing the pictures for the amp only model.

Mmm... interesting. When I posted, the page for the DAC/amp combo brought up an error page and when I searched the site, all that came up was the $99 amp.

Now strange things are happening with the switching of pictures.
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #96 of 136
Quote:

i think this all depends on your needs. if you'll also need analog audio out for music from your PC, i would get a good soundcard instead.

i have the b-enspirer. it's nice, but there are certainly better cards out there for analog out (think Auzentech or ASUS). it has a good DAC, but not so good opamps, so the O1 should be better in this regard. the biggest selling point of the lower end CMI-8788 based cards is that they support Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect, but this won't benefit you since the card only has 1 spdif out anyway.

also, i think mine may may have broken all of a sudden (need to do some more testing though).

i can't remember if it can perform Dolby headphone processing and then send that signal out via SPDIF (at work now). anyway, this is just a novelty that you'll soon forget once you are enjoying the good sound of your O1 DAC (hopefully, anyway!) so i wouldn't worry about it.

if you don't need good quality analog out, the Behringer is certainly an option, as is something like this PC Link USB/SPDIF Adapter which has both optical and coax out. the other route to go is to pick up a cheap soundcard with optical and/or coax spdif out, like the Diamond XtremeSound 7.1.

sorry if i'm confusing the situation even more. there certainly are a lot of options out there, which makes this stuff fun! it all comes down to your current and future needs.

wow i really appreciate that great reply. analog outs are the other outputs like the front, rear, surround outputs right? if so then i definitely don't need them as I will be doing everything through headphones. my speakers will be connected to my receiver. but i just want to make sure that by analog output u mean the ones i just mentioned right?

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #98 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm... I may be indirectly responsible for that...

I ordered one of the amp's at $99 only about an hour ago, and the info page/pictures were fine at the time. Now everything's all messed up. It might have been the last one, and something got screwed up on the page now.

If that was the last one, don't come after me with pitch forks and torches!!
wink.gif

The payment was sent through PayPal, but I guess I'll see tomorrow if the order actually went through on their end (i.e. if there were actually any models left for my order). I hope so...
biggrin.gif

in that case, not only will head-fi'ers be angry at you for buying the last one, but head-direct will be angry as well for you breaking their website!
smily_headphones1.gif

good luck with the amp though. they took less than 24 hours to send me the paypal shipping confirmation so you will know soon.

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #99 of 136
Quote:

in that case, not only will head-fi'ers be angry at you for buying the last one, but head-direct will be angry as well for you breaking their website!
smily_headphones1.gif

good luck with the amp though. they took less than 24 hours to send me the paypal shipping confirmation so you will know soon.

Yes! I just got an email notification that it was sent from New York this morning!
biggrin.gif

Now to find a decent USB DAC (or converter and standard DAC) for about the same price...
tongue.gif

I wanted to have a separate DAC and amp so that I can insert my Bottlehead Foreplay preamp into the chain. I'm doing that right now with my Leckerton UHA-3 portable amp and Rotel CD player, and I love the liquidity it adds to my MS-1s!!

...any recommendations?

Apr 23, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #100 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes! I just got an email notification that it was sent from New York this morning!
biggrin.gif

Now to find a decent USB DAC (or converter and standard DAC) for about the same price...
tongue.gif

I wanted to have a separate DAC and amp so that I can insert my Bottlehead Foreplay preamp into the chain. I'm doing that right now with my Leckerton UHA-3 portable amp and Rotel CD player, and I love the liquidity it adds to my MS-1s!!

...any recommendations?

hey what is their email, i ordered it the night before you got it but haven't received a receipt or email notification but i got charged. Thanks

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #101 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by rukawa11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey what is their email, i ordered it the night before you got it but haven't received a receipt or email notification but i got charged. Thanks

It's head.direct@gmail.com

The email that I got looked to be a reply from an email sent to Fang from PayPal, because the subject of the email that Fang sent to me was "Re: Notification of Payment Received". However, if you've already been charged through PayPal, it should have gone through on his end.

Apr 23, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #102 of 136
Did you receive the paypal e-mail stating the payment? (just to make sure your paypal e-mail inbox is operational, as that is the email address they'll use)
I got my e-mail notification from head direct +/- 24hrs. after making the paypal payment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back