O1 Headphone AMP/DAC ===> Octavart
Apr 17, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #62 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is there a difference between the new model and the old model? Sorry if this has been addressed, but the new model is named Octavart and the old model was the O1?

I have been told it is a name change only.

Mojolo, where are you located?

Apr 17, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #63 of 136
For those concerned about wanting to connect a computer to the Octavert DAC but not having optical or coax out on the computer, I can confirm that the Behringer UCA202 U-control can indeed do a decent job converting USB to optical S/PDIF out.

You can skip using the headphone out from the U-control because while it is decent sounding, even my 5.5G iPod headphone out carries more weight and 3D depth. However, the sound quality of the USB>optical out converter going into my HR Micro Stack seems to be close to the Micro Stack connected via it's own USB DAC. The sound quality of the Macbook's built-in optical out into the Micro Stack is more 3D and spacious, but I think details are still all there with the UCA202 via USB.

I am sick right now, and just don't have the energy to do a very in depth review. But, I spent about an hour to an hour and a half testing it with a variety of PC and Macintosh computers, in order to answer another Head-Fi member's questions about using the Livewires with the UCA202 so as to minimize hiss from his laptop with sensitive IEMs.

I would suspect that most people who use it to get an optical signal out of their computer would find it adequate to feed the Octavert's optical input, as recommended by others in this thread previously.

Apr 17, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #66 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is there a difference between the new model and the old model? Sorry if this has been addressed, but the new model is named Octavart and the old model was the O1?

No, there is no difference other than cosmetics. There is plenty of bass.

Apr 17, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #67 of 136
Ouh yeahhh!! My Ocatavart is here, only three days to Europe!!! This morning I can try it and his sound is amazing..
cool.gif

Apr 21, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #71 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by T9R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is this with low impedance headphones like Grado and Audio Technica? The volume isn't too loud, is it?

it should be fine according to HiFlight and mrarroyo:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is an amp in which I would not try to change opamps or gain. It sounds superb in the stock configuration. I found the gain to be appropriate for all of my phones, including my IEMs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fang responded and there is no gain switch inside the amp. In stock form it has handled the RS-1. K701, K501, RP21, HFI-780, PROline 2500, and DT880 w/ no problem.

i'm going to use it with AT ESW9's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back