O1 Headphone AMP/DAC ===> Octavart
Apr 14, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #47 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by psc001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just start to wonder if Octavart would think about including USB input instead of the optical since so many Dac/amp out there are including USB input.

My Octavart sounds very good using the inexpensive Behringer UCA202 to convert the USB signal to Optical.

Apr 15, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #49 of 136
If you are looking for an affordable but good USB desktop, I have a suspicion this Travagans "Green" that I am reviewing right now is gonna be a hoot. Right out of the box it is enjoyable, but it might be a week or two before I am done with my burn-in and impressions/comparisons.

Apr 15, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #50 of 136
I'm thinking of getting the Octavart but I had a few questions.

1. What happens if multiple inputs are used? I would probably use optical from the X-Fi Elite Pro, coax from a DVD player, and analog from an ipod? I was hoping to have them all plugged in at once to the Octavart. But it doesn't seem to have a toggle switch so how does the amp know what I want to listen to?

2. Is there any disadvantage to going optical from the X-Fi elite pro? For that matter, is optical out pretty similar on most soundcards? For example, is a motherboard's optical out as good as the optical out on my X-Fi? If so, I could just pull the X-Fi card out of my computer altogether if it is the same SQ.

3. What chip is used for the DAC? Is it a good chip or mid-fi? I guess there's no way to really test the DAC by itself...

4. I can't find Boomana's review of the Octavart on any other thread? Has it already been posted?

I do already have a PK1 and Minibox-E from head-direct and like them quite a bit. So I'm thinking this may be a good upgrade for my desktop...

Thanks for any responses!

Apr 15, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #51 of 136
nevermind on the shipping costs from head-direct.

jasmine_chine has it for $250 + $30 shipping!
also, they offer an optional USB to optical socket for $10, but no idea of the quality of this unit.

now just need some details on the DAC.

HiFlight - you mentioned that you've used the D1 DAC feeding the octavart amp a lot. is this b/c the D1 has a better DAC?

Apr 16, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #53 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nevermind on the shipping costs from head-direct.

jasmine_chine has it for $250 + $30 shipping!
also, they offer an optional USB to optical socket for $10, but no idea of the quality of this unit.

now just need some details on the DAC.

HiFlight - you mentioned that you've used the D1 DAC feeding the octavart amp a lot. is this b/c the D1 has a better DAC?

No, it is because I was feeding the D1 with a USB from my computer that I wanted to run into the Octavart.

IMO, there is nothing at all wrong with the optical and coax DAC in the Octavart. It sounds excellent.

Apr 16, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #54 of 136
I opened the Octavart (O1 Amp/Dac) and it uses a Burr-Brown PCM1716E. You can read aobout it at:

SoundPlus(TM) 24-Bit, 96kHz Sampling CMOS Delta-Sigma Stereo Audio D/A Converter - PCM1716 - TI Product Folder
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1716.pdf

Here is a portion of the information:

The PCM1716 is designed for Mid to High grade Digital Audio applications which achieve 96kHz sampling rates with 24-bit audio data. PCM1716 uses a newly developed, enhanced multi-level delta-sigma modulator architecture that improves audio dynamic performance and reduces jitter sensitivity in actual applications.

The internal digital filter operates at 8x over sampling at a 96kHz sampling rate, with two kinds of roll-off performances that can be selected: sharp roll-off, or slow roll-off, as required for specific applications.

PCM1716 is suitable for Mid to High grade audio applications such as CD, DVD-Audio, and Music Instruments, since the device has superior audio dynamic performance, 24-bit resolution and 96kHz sampling.

Apr 16, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #55 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it is because I was feeding the D1 with a USB from my computer that I wanted to run into the Octavart.

IMO, there is nothing at all wrong with the optical and coax DAC in the Octavart. It sounds excellent.

thx HiFlight - good to know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I opened the Octavart (O1 Amp/Dac) and it uses a Burr-Brown PCM1716E.

thx for crackin' it open to get the DAC part. seems like it may be similar to the Beresford TC-7510, which used the PCM1716.

Apr 16, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #56 of 136
I mentioned in one posts that my Pioneer PDR-509 recorder uses the Burr Brown 1716e DAC chip, and was told it had poor jitter specs. If I wanted better SQ I needed to upgrade my source.
I compared the Pioneer to a Beresford and was certain I couldn't hear ANY difference so I didn't buy it. Glad I didn't as I can feed any player through the Pioneer to use it's DAC for playback as well as recording. I'm sure there are better, but I have always liked the sound of the Pioneer with the 1716 chip.

Apr 16, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #57 of 136
This unit seems like it is a really good deal.

Sounds like the DAC chip does a really nice job. The chip is from 2000 and it only goes to 24/96. I see the newer chips support 24/192. I guess all that matters is that it sounds good...

I'd still like to know how to select the source of sound. I'm guessing its like the ibasso D1. I understand the ibasso auto cycles through the different inputs until it finds a signal. I don't quite understand why there wouldn't simply be a source select button. If this is true, I guess I'd have to unplug/plug stuff in as I use it. So what happens if two things are plugged into different inputs at the same time?

Apr 16, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #58 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeHeadphones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd still like to know how to select the source of sound. I'm guessing its like the ibasso D1. I understand the ibasso auto cycles through the different inputs until it finds a signal. I don't quite understand why there wouldn't simply be a source select button. If this is true, I guess I'd have to unplug/plug stuff in as I use it. So what happens if two things are plugged into different inputs at the same time?

I had the old model O1 Dac:Amp in my possession for about an hour. At the very least, it switches over to optical automatically with a relay as soon as it detects a signal on there.

I'm not sure how it deals with optical and coax at the same time though.

Apr 16, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #60 of 136
i'm somewhat of a noob with all this, so please bear with me.

i agree that the fact that this DAC is only 24/96 whereas newer DACs are 24/192 doesn't seem like it should be an issue. you can, afterall, have really crappy DACs that can do 24/192.

what concerns me more is that Burr-Brown labels this chip as being appropriate for mid-high grade applications. are some of the better DACs out there specifically designed for high-grade use?

i've seen the PCM1716 get knocked on this board a few times, but without objective data to back it up. rather, people were going by specs, and comparing it to the specs of newer DACs. OTH, it's great to hear some experienced folks in this thread tout the ability of the Octavart unit!

finally, a lot of folks on this board also point to the design and quality of other electronic components as having as great an impact as the DAC itself. therefore, two 'DACs' with the exact same 'DAC 'chip can sound quite different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back