O1 Headphone AMP/DAC ===> Octavart
Apr 12, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #31 of 136
Hi mrarroyo, just out of curiosity, how would you compare the Octavart against the Amp one that you're currently reviewing...? (I know you're still burning the Amp One but it's always good hear from somebody who has a great pair of ears...!)

Apr 12, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #32 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by psc001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi mrarroyo, just out of curiosity, how would you compare the Octavart against the Amp one that you're currently reviewing...? (I know you're still burning the Amp One but it's always good hear from somebody who has a great pair of ears...!)

My ears are not that good!
eek.gif
If I had to choose now I would go witht he O1 Amp/Dac. However that is not a very fair comparison, one is fully burnt in while the other is barely starting. Plus tube amps are finicky, I will have to explore other tubes to see how it can be further improved.

Which brings me to a point I want to make. Tube amps are not for everyone, not because they are complex of expensive, but because they are for people who want to tweak with the amp to make it sound its best. A tube is not something you buy put on a corner and start using it. If that is what you want you most likely would be better off with an SS amp. If on the other hand you enjoy trying new tubes and tweaks then the tube amp could be very exciting. BTW, some SS amps allow op-amp rolling which can be very exciting as well.

Personally I prefer tube amps, as a norm I find them more organic, involving, and with a more enjoyable bass.
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #34 of 136
Has anyone tried this amp with AT's? I tried the Rockhopper's CKKIII through his demo program and got pretty bad feedback with my W1000 and D2000. It wasn't as bad on the Denons but it was still present. I'm worried that since theres no gain option on this amp that it might not match well with low impedance phones.

Apr 13, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #35 of 136
This amp has sounded excellent with every thing I have thrown at it. Senn HD 600s, Ath ESW 9, K 701, K 601, K 340, K 240S, K 240 DF (600ohms) and DT 880s. The amp is just very clear, clear and detailed, lots of air and a big, wide and deep soundstage. I have the non-dac version which costs $160 and I have no idea how they can make an amp that sounds so good for that money, but it sure does.

Apr 13, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #36 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xennon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I want to buy one. But I wonder build quality of it, performance with Dt880 and maybe a comparison with a Pico :S Or can you compare it with iBasso D1?

Cheers!

Yes, both the 03 and 05 versions of the DT880. IMO the Octavart (O1 Amp/Dac) is a better performer than both the Pico and the D1. Of course they have a different intended use.

Apr 13, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #37 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnanderson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried this amp with AT's? I tried the Rockhopper's CKKIII through his demo program and got pretty bad feedback with my W1000 and D2000. It wasn't as bad on the Denons but it was still present. I'm worried that since theres no gain option on this amp that it might not match well with low impedance phones.

I have tried the RS-1, PX100, RP21, and PROline 2500 all are low impedence cans w/o any issues.

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #38 of 136
I'm going to try my setup on an X-Can v. 3 and if I'm impressed by the improvement an amp gives me I think I'll buy this Octavart, so thanks for the review, I'm also looking forward to Boomana's opinion, please hurry, maam.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have some Beyerdynamic DT150's and its ohm is stated as 250+250 (250 for each driver). Does that mean it has 500 ohms of resistance?

Apr 13, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #39 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by noctodonta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to try my setup on an X-Can v. 3 and if I'm impressed by the improvement an amp gives me I think I'll buy this Octavart, so thanks for the review, I'm also looking forward to Boomana's opinion, please hurry, maam.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have some Beyerdynamic DT150's and its ohm is stated as 250+250 (250 for each driver). Does that mean it has 500 ohms of resistance?

I think Boomana wrote her opininon in another thread (and it was postive). Your Beyers DT150 are considered 250 ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back