NYC Mini-Meet
Feb 2, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #61 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I'm going to enter the jpelg mode now.
tongue.gif

Man the Qualias sucked
biggrin.gif

But really, that day I felt that was the worst I've ever heard them. I much more preferred R10 and SA5000. I found this very strange since I usually think R10 is just ok and like Qualia and Orpheus more.

Did I read that right,Lan turning to the DARK Side,Canman Who practicaly had a pair of R10s glued to his head& Meech who also turned to the Dark Side
seduced by the wooden beauty
tongue.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #62 of 157
Now now, I dont mean long term just that day
tongue.gif
That day was also weird because I usually don't like the K1000s at meets since it just sounds weird compared to my setup. But with the Cyberhome DVD player and meech's 300B was good and so was my DI/O DAC on that system. I couldn't deal with Qualia much. The treble was making my ears hurt. The R10 was just more forgiving
biggrin.gif
It's generally a consistant performer. I never heard it have a hissy fit in a system. Can't say the same about other ones.

You will have to pay me to take R10s. *shakes fists*
biggrin.gif
especially when I get new tubes.

Feb 2, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #63 of 157
Wow, what a great mini-meet with the best of the best (food, friends, and fantastic gear)! Keep the impressions coming. I'm more and more intrigued by the Qualia 010's and simply must hear them some day very soon (with the Black Dragons, of course).

Aaron, do you need my address to send those cheesecake brownies? Just kidding, the sniffer dogs at Customs would probably devour them in about 2 seconds! It was nice to see pics of Telica, Jazz and Arielle again... give them my best.

Feb 2, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #64 of 157
What is the difference between the Black Dragons and the Silver and Blue varieties? [other than the fact that the Black Dragons spit acid... yeah, ok, I'm a D&D geek]

I looked on the Moon Audio site and see no information on the Black Dragon cable.
confused.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #65 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I'm going to enter the jpelg mode now.
tongue.gif

Man the Qualias sucked
biggrin.gif

But really, that day I felt that was the worst I've ever heard them. I much more preferred R10 and SA5000. I found this very strange since I usually think R10 is just ok and like Qualia and Orpheus more.

I thought I was really opinionated 'til I joined Headfi!
tongue.gif

I liked the Qualias (small size). They sounded better than I've heard them before - big, round bass, lots more air, smoother and more listenable than I've heard them -- but, though they didn't give me a headache, I still felt that the highs needed taming. The Qualias were still sizzling hot at times. They sound smoother and more relaxed with Aaron's "bedroom vinyl setup" -- Final Tool to-drool-for TT w/Maestro... (did the Maestro roll off the highest highs? ... didn't spend enuf time there). Again, the Black Dragons need much more burn time and sounded muted/muffled/veiled compared to the stock cable -- though warmer and "easier" to listen to. They were hotter on top, but really juicy through Tom's Philips/Meitner/Cary 300SEI setup. I only listened to Diana Krall ("Live in Paris"?) and Norah Jones (?). I'll tell you, I felt like the kid in The Exorcist 'cause I couldn't stop juggling Qualia - R10 - Omega II - Orpheus phones!!!!!! As I said before, GIVE ME MONEY -- I want all of them. Actually, in that short listening session I seemed to go back most often to the Omega IIs -- Big Delicious sound with those 2 ladies' recordings. I didn't spend enough time with the Baby Orpheus. I also feel that the Orpheus is soft and beautiful, but possibly too relaxed (at least with the KGSS) for my long-term tastes. Will have to hear the Orpheus with their dedicated electronics -- soon.

I'll settle for Omega II and Qualia.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #66 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
I thought I was really opinionated 'til I joined Headfi!
tongue.gif

I also feel that the Orpheus is soft and beautiful, but possibly too relaxed (at least with the KGSS) for my long-term tastes. Will have to hear the Orpheus with their dedicated electronics -- soon.

I'll settle for Omega II and Qualia.
biggrin.gif

My long term listening shows the OmegaIIs are the more relaxed headphone not the HE90s with the KGSS. And you will eventually get to hear the full orpheuse system as DHL delivered it to work today,I will check it out later tonight
orphsmile.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #67 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
...And you will eventually get to hear the full orpheuse system as DHL delivered it to work today,I will check it out later tonight
orphsmile.gif

So when and where is the spring meet?
orphsmile.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #68 of 157
Hooboy the full Daddy Orpheus system! *pencils in the Spring meet!*

Feb 2, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #69 of 157
Looks like another great time in NYC. The NY meets (big or small) always seem to be the ones to make. Any other opinions on the Qualia and upgraded vs. stock cables would be great.

Feb 2, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #70 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Looks like another great time in NYC. The NY meets (big or small) always seem to be the ones to make. Any other opinions on the Qualia and upgraded vs. stock cables would be great.

here's my impressions of the two qualias. from the bedroom vinyl rig i found out quickly that i couldnt listen to the mediums with stock cable - for some reason it wouldn't sit flush on my head/ears, and was letting alot of air get in there, resulting in a caverous echoey chamber of reverb.

the smalls, tho a bit too small for me, sat flush and sounded just fine. i never heard vinyl as crystal clear as this, and i would absolutely recommend the qualias for warmer sources, like say, vinyl. but i noticed the bass was still missing presence...maybe it was the recording? but it seemed it just wasn't there. this isn't a new thing for me, so take it with a grain of salt- maybe i'm just a basshead. the aftermarket black dragons on the small qualias brought the tunes closer, more forward to my ears than i remember the qualias doing - which to me was a bonus, since i think vocals like Karen Carpenter feel more intimate close miked and in your face. and these cans were just ultra detailed, every fleck of saliva rattling around came through from the modded pioneer to the solo to the qualias. yet not as dry as i remember it being in the qualia store - it could be the warmer source of the pioneer.

end result? probably the best time i've had with the qualias, but its signature sound still isn't my bag of tea.

Feb 2, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #71 of 157
Quote:

My long term listening shows the OmegaIIs are the more relaxed headphone not the HE90s with the KGSS.

I agree. After spending over a month with the HE90, Omega II and Blue Hawaii, I would say the SR-007 (Omega II) is darker, more obscured and more relaxed than the HE90. The details and clarity of the HE90 simply outclass the Omega II; yes I said it: the Stax SR-007 does have a "veil" compared to the HE90. Along with the HE90's super-clear treble, I also prefer the HE90's midrange presentation, which is warm and seductive compared to the Omega II's somewhat colder offering. While the SR-007 has more bass quantity, it decays too fast and isn't as tight nor as detailed as the HE90. I never cared for the Omega II when my dad had it (he had the SRM-717, 007t and SRM-T1). After hearing it with Alex's Accuphase DP-85 and Blue Hawaii I gained a new respect for it and I started to really love it. Then I borrowed Alex's system and fell in love with the HE90. It was difficult to listen to the SR-007 with the HE90 sitting next to it. The Omega II sounds dark and veiled concert in comparison (as if I were listening to a concert from outside the venue in my car). In fact, I actually find the Omega II veiled in comparison to the HD650/Zu driven in balanced mode from my DAC1's XLR outputs - I am not exaggerating this - Scrith will agree on this one as he heard it too. I will now hide from the Stax mafia.
orphsmile.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #72 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
What is the difference between the Black Dragons and the Silver and Blue varieties? [other than the fact that the Black Dragons spit acid... yeah, ok, I'm a D&D geek]

I looked on the Moon Audio site and see no information on the Black Dragon cable.
confused.gif

the moon audio replacement cables for the qualia are a brand new item.

the Black Dragon & Cardas cables are copper cables. the Silver Dragon is silver obviously & was made to see if silver cable was compatable with the qualias. i do not believe that the silver cable will be available for the qualia. but i could be wrong. i have not tried either the Cardas or Silver Dargon. The Black was all i needed.

you can contact drew baird at moon audio to inquire about pricing & availability. drewbrew@bellsouth.net

personally, i like the Black Dragons. i did not like the stock cable at all, ever. i was never 100% satisfied with the qualia until i put on the Black Dragon.

someone posted that they preferred the stock cable & that the Black Dragon needed more burn-in time. i think the copper Black Dragons were well on their way to complete burn-in & i find the cable difference was most noticeable. however, immtbiker's analog rig was pretty damn good & warm & it was a little tougher to notice a dramatic difference in that particular enviornment for me. the difference is most noticeable to me with digital rigs & with my portable rig.

Feb 3, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #73 of 157
Believe it or not...we are still eating the food from Sunday!
blink.gif

Feb 3, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #74 of 157
Aaron...your still eating the Philly Fluff
I am still drinking the Scotch

Stevio....Thanks, I gotta get that secret amp...and I am!

Tom....Your headphone collection is almost complete, but no Koss Pro 4a ?

Canman....Omega vs Senn HE90s ? I like em both, but we know the truth..........

Great time...thanks
Dan

Feb 3, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #75 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
I agree. After spending over a month with the HE90, Omega II and Blue Hawaii, I would say the SR-007 (Omega II) is darker, more obscured and more relaxed than the HE90. The details and clarity of the HE90 simply outclass the Omega II; yes I said it: the Stax SR-007 does have a "veil" compared to the HE90. Along with the HE90's super-clear treble, I also prefer the HE90's midrange presentation, which is warm and seductive compared to the Omega II's somewhat colder offering. While the SR-007 has more bass quantity, it decays too fast and isn't as tight nor as detailed as the HE90. I never cared for the Omega II when my dad had it (he had the SRM-717, 007t and SRM-T1). After hearing it with Alex's Accuphase DP-85 and Blue Hawaii I gained a new respect for it and I started to really love it. Then I borrowed Alex's system and fell in love with the HE90. It was difficult to listen to the SR-007 with the HE90 sitting next to it. The Omega II sounds dark and veiled concert in comparison (as if I were listening to a concert from outside the venue in my car). In fact, I actually find the Omega II veiled in comparison to the HD650/Zu driven in balanced mode from my DAC1's XLR outputs - I am not exaggerating this - Scrith will agree on this one as he heard it too. I will now hide from the Stax mafia.
orphsmile.gif

I think Neil spoiled himself by surrounding himself with such great headphones. So did I by listening to bozebutton's and immtbiker's rigs
biggrin.gif

The HE-90/KGSS is scary good and most definitely provides a clearer window into the recording than the Omega II. It is also one tough headphone to get ahold of. The HE-60 on the same system provides a similar flavor with less refinement but it might cure your "Orpheus itch". I don't think the Omega II is veiled, but its upper midrange is very laid back. This makes the Omega II liquid and smooth, but it can take away some energy in the recording. I think the HE-90 has the most coherent frequency response in any headphone - its only fault is a slightly lean bass response, and trust me that is a very minor issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back