NYC Mini-Meet
Feb 26, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #137 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Dan...YGPMS

I didn't know that happened to men. He seems pretty calm to me.
confused.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dan, It's been awhile since I had the Moretto, and I'm not sure which tubes I preferred anymore. In other amps, I've been using Telefunken PCC88's instead of 6DJ8's and really enjoying them. Both my Melos and EMP use them now. I'm not sure which 12AU7 I liked best. However, I think I'm going to try to build a clone of the Mark I version of the HAP-03, just to see if I can. If it works, I'll be able to give better tube recommendations then.

Feb 28, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #139 of 157
Well...well...I have to say...I've listened to Danny's Moretto, er I mean...Hap-03 II, er I mean...Radii, and he is right! This amp and the Sennheiser 600/650 combo are slammin'!!!
Tubed power supply is visually pleasing to the eyes. The price is right, too!
I am going to be doing some comparisons to my other amps, as soon as life slows down.

Mar 8, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #141 of 157
DANNY MADE ME DO IT!
I just placed an order for the Hap03 with Allied,ordered the black face one.
I have a bunch of NOS tubes waitng to be rolled in the Hap03.
Only downside is it will take about 4 weeks to get it,but I have enough to listen to in the meantime
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 8, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #142 of 157
I sense a East Coast FOTM occurring here...I wonder how the West Coast will respond?

*Bah! Check this out, the Bada PH-3!*
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 8, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #144 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
DANNY MADE ME DO IT!
I just placed an order for the Hap03 with Allied,ordered the black face one.
I have a bunch of NOS tubes waitng to be rolled in the Hap03.
Only downside is it will take about 4 weeks to get it,but I have enough to listen to in the meantime
evil_smiley.gif

IMO the HAP-03 has a sonic signature somewhat similar to the Wheatfield HA-2. I doesn't have the ultimate in detail, but has a lush, very full sound that just wraps around you. Classic tubiness, if you will. Another amp in the same sonic family is the Xiang Sheng 708A. So far, I'd rate the Wheatfield as "best of breed". It keeps the lushness, but adds more detail. Unfortunately for my wallet, a friend of mine decided to sell his Wheatfield. The output tube for the Wheatfield can be chosen to optimize it for the particular impedance of the headphone in use, so it's not limited to high impedance cans like the HAP-03. I'm still gonna have to build a HAP-03 just for comparison.

I was trying to cut back on headphone gear, but somehow have more now than I ever did.
blink.gif

This is all Danny's fault.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #145 of 157
Gentleman Headphone NUT JOBS.......................

Have the Senn 650s hooked on to my earlobes and , connected to the mini nuke reactor known as the Radii Hap0311. Some initial comments............
The bass is just the last word!! Big, thick, full rich, poweful,satisfying, etc
The Highs are all power without glare and does have plenty of extension
The mids sound perfect, not hyper detailed or muddy
. Excellent natural sound on female voices........
The amp is UTTERLY EFFORTLESS and is electric in its energizing of the SENNS.
Hirsch.....I like the crappy original 6922s instead of the Siemins and Amperex Holland Orange NOS I rolled. I know, I know......but love it the way it is.Trying some different power chords and isolation tricks. This mother is just a killer the way it grabs the Senns...as Aaron has heard...it is Slammin.
Listen to my Omegas, Lamdas, Grados.....sounds real nice.
Listen th this combo...my feet are going up and down, my head is boppin, am grovin and into it.....amazing. Krall, Stones, Coltrane, Parson Project, Armstrong, Mozart, Patty Griffin, .....AM INTO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tom you are gonna be amazed
Stevio Knew
Aaron now knows
Hirsch, enjoy the Wheatfield BUT get the Radii....
back to CCR and then Eagles, Ella, Willie...................
Dan
PS...Only thing this amp cannot do, is shovel the snow tonight...drive safe

Mar 9, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #146 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyandelyse
PS...Only thing this amp cannot do, is shovel the snow tonight...drive safe

Too bad, because then maybe I could have convinced my wife (or my accountant) I really needed one.

Mar 9, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #147 of 157
You could use the tubes (especially the one on the p.s.) to melt the ice! Tomorrow is going to be a back-breaker. I will need some serious tunage tomorrow night!

Mar 9, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #148 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyandelyse
Hirsch.....I like the crappy original 6922s instead of the Siemins and Amperex Holland Orange NOS I rolled. I know, I know....

I know. The whole point of the amp is lost if you try and tube roll it into a detail oriented amp. The trick is to leave the sound alone, which can sometimes be hard to do. The Sovtek 6922's and the Ei 12AU7 may not be the fastest tubes around, but the HAP-03 shows that they can play music.

Quote:

Hirsch, enjoy the Wheatfield BUT get the Radii....

Heh. I was one of the first to own a HAP-03. I sold it off a while back, but am planning to build a homebrew one from the schematic. It could be interesting...a P2P HAP-03. My fear is that if the parts I use are too good, I won't be able to capture the sound correctly
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2005 at 10:16 AM Post #150 of 157
One other point...............
This amp is NOT built to Jadis/Mercedes standards.
Am sure this does nothing but help me enjoy it. Over the years, I have found that build quality does not corelate with quality of reproduction. It surely does not corelate with my quality of enjoyment of the listening experience. Either it has the magic and synergy....or it does not.
This mother is the Forrest Gump of amps, moma says ......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back