NYC Mini-Meet 4-1-06
Apr 4, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #76 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
haha. You amp is not bright. most likely your upstream components are "edgy". how about new power conditioner, power cables, soundcard, interconnects? you know.... the works? That's too bad you got a mega headphone because now your dificiencies in other areas are more pronounced.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
sorry about your wallet

You are evil. I admit to hearing the etch in my 0404 compared to the DAC-ah even before the DAC-ah went in for this last round of mods. And why did I get yet another Monster Power conditioner? You are a BAD influence!
mad.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 4, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #77 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
You are evil. I admit to hearing the etch in my 0404 compared to the DAC-ah even before the DAC-ah went in for this last round of mods. And why did I get yet another Monster Power conditioner? You are a BAD influence!
mad.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Actually in your case... it was the amp.
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #78 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
haha. You amp is not bright. most likely your upstream components are "edgy". how about new power conditioner, power cables, soundcard, interconnects? you know.... the works? That's too bad you got a mega headphone because now your dificiencies in other areas are more pronounced.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
sorry about your wallet

Eeep! Uh, so what DAC should I be looking at? Or, alternatively, how can I take the edge off of the EMU? I'm using pretty lousy cables coming out of it.

Apr 4, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #79 of 112
Well I wouldn't recommend anything until the sound settles down and you've become accustomed to it. I wouldn't recommend a new source until you know what you're looking for. Well do you? Although all you guys like Grado, all of you like it for different reasons. It's not just "up front rocking sound".

Apr 4, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #80 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Well I wouldn't recommend anything until the sound settles down and you've become accustomed to it. I wouldn't recommend a new source until you know what you're looking for. Well do you? Although all you guys like Grado, all of you like it for different reasons. It's not just "up front rocking sound".

Yup! You're right, I'm sure it'll settle a lot more. The thing is, even with the slightly ouchy edge, it sounds a LOT better than ANY of my other cans. The music is so THERE. Plugging in the SA5K after listening to it, the SA5K didn't sound correct at all. Everything sounded totally artificial.

Apr 4, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #81 of 112
Yeah the SA5000 is not something which sound natural in most equipment. It's a bit more finicky synergy wise. I wonder what Jahn things of these. It's not like his C-pad madness is natural either.
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #82 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Yeah the SA5000 is not something which sound natural in most equipment. It's a bit more finicky synergy wise. I wonder what Jahn things of these. It's not like his C-pad madness is natural either.
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

To my ears, the RS1 seems to be one of the most natural I've heard at length. Bear in mind I've only spent an hour or so with the Orph, Qualia, etc. Also, it seems to have an amazing duality... the difference between bowls and flats changes it from dark to bright pretty nicely. It may end up serving two purposes for me, with the HD650 as a backup "relaxing" headphone.

Now if we can just kill that edge through burn in...

Apr 4, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #83 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Actually in your case... it was the amp.
biggrin.gif

BAH! You know you were jealous of Pinkie!
evil_smiley.gif

Anyhow, I'm so ready to give the SA5K back. It definitely doesn't synergize with my rig. I'm just not used to those soaring soaring highs!

Apr 4, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #84 of 112
Quote:

BAH! You know you were jealous of Pinkie!
evil_smiley.gif

Anyhow, I'm so ready to give the SA5K back. It definitely doesn't synergize with my rig. I'm just not used to those soaring soaring highs!

Wow, you aren't even going to keep it until your baby comes home?

Apr 4, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #85 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio

He probably gets enough highs from his wife yapping at him HAHA.

Apr 4, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #87 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio

The Empire Strikes Back this week, as Lord Grado's shuttle was dispatched on Monday!

Apr 4, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #88 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Oh SNAP!
eek.gif

he met her too, lan felt the Phantom Menace
eek.gif

Apr 4, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #89 of 112
Quote:

The Empire Strikes Back this week, as Lord Grado's shuttle was dispatched on Monday!

Uh oh, you don't want to broadcast state secrets like this. I can see 1911 moving right now to intercept said shuttle and replace it with god knows what...

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back