NYC Mini-Meet 4-1-06
Apr 2, 2006 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 112

Jahn

Headphoneus Supremus Prolificus
All anyone needs to know about this meet is this:

Cans.jpg

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 112
I'm sorry to break the news to you Jahn, but I thought the treble sounded tinny, the bass was a bit bubbly, and overall a bit dark and syrupy.

Otherwise thank you so much for being a great host at your nice apartment down by the waterfront. It was a fun afternoon with the guys and nice dinner in C-Town.

Apr 2, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 112
It's an absolute crime that we didn't have a good camera for this meet. There was some GOOD gear to listen to, a really nice collection of things!

One of the cans I liked the best was the W5000. The fit on these was actually VERY nice, and I had no problems with a seal or bass. Of the newer ATH W headphones I've heard, this one is really nice. The bass wasn't as punchy or refined as I like, but pretty nice in an HD650 way. No detail lost on the lower end, for sure. And speaking of detail, talk about that upper register. Articulate, to say the least. These had a sweeter midrange than the other newer ATH W I've heard. Nice and warm.

Also, lan's been talking about this little network music box from Linksys for a while. He was right, it DOES sound much nicer than it should. Especially at that price. Ditch the plastic, encase it in wood, and every Head-Fi'er will be clamouring to get one. Really smooth sound! I can totally see buying one of these and using it...

Also I should point out that everything Jahn touches dies. Everyone needs to be aware of that.

Apr 2, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #5 of 112
I'm sad we didn't get to hear the linksys thing anymore. It's a cheap way to distribute music around the house. The problem is that Jahn has the worst computer as source computer. Never saw anything like it before. Just flaky
biggrin.gif
I wonder if he's still trying to fix his network. I would've tried fixing it some more but it was the end of day and I was mad tired.

Apr 2, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 112
Yeah, we really kind of left him clutching that Linksys disc. It was really kind of sad.

Oh, so let's have a little talk here about the HP-1 and the polarity switches. There's this song on the Stereolab CD set "Oscillons from the Anti Sun" Called "Jenny Ondioline." It is the first track on the first disc. However, there is an "out of phase" version on the third disc called "Alternate Version." At the beginning, the lead singer's voice appears in the left side stating "The following signal is recorded equally on each channel, but is out of phase..."

It seems that her voice there is the only thing out of phase, but it has been "studio faked" to sound out of phase on the left channel. It is not fully "out of phase." AKA, hitting one switch does not "fix it" in both channels. It simply does not exist in the right.

Now here's the kicker: The recording sounds better when both switches were "down" to negative. The vocals had more body. It was preferable. Interesting stuff. Personally, in ANY headphones, I like the second version better. I like the bloom of the music.

Now, the question is... is Jahn going to be able to actually post here? 10:1 his computer burst into flames as soon as lan and I stepped on the elevator.

Apr 2, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #7 of 112
Aren't there any phase test tracks you can fool with? I could always make something up.

There's also the slim chance Jahn was captivated by SA5000 and decided to sleep with it. I doubt his wife lets him do that.

Apr 2, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #8 of 112
LINKSYS IS CRAP

Here's the story-

Apparently I haven't paid for DSL for a month. They only took out 2 bucks from my auto payment account last month for some reason and didn't tell me. I have to call em up on monday to make sure they start charging me again.

This is why, when you plug the cable modem directly into my comp, you get to the "Pay to Play" verizon DSL page.

BUT, my D-Link wireless G somehow gets past all that and grabs internet from the DSL modem, both through a LAN and wireless. yay, D-Link.

The Linksys I just bought doesn't do any of the above. no "pay me" page, no "i'm sucking bandwidth" internet access, nothing.

so i'm going to be patient, be a good boy, reactivate my DSL payments on monday, and hold on to the linksys until it can access properly. if it still doesn't work, i'm going back to my robbing little d-link and just be ghetto, even though that means i have to live with a router than doesn't let me play online PS2 games or attach lan's linksys wireless music server. suckage.

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #9 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
LINKSYS IS CRAP

Here's the story-

Apparently I haven't paid for DSL for a month. They only took out 2 bucks from my auto payment account last month for some reason and didn't tell me. I have to call em up on monday to make sure they start charging me again.

This is why, when you plug the cable modem directly into my comp, you get to the "Pay to Play" verizon DSL page.

BUT, my D-Link wireless G somehow gets past all that and grabs internet from the DSL modem, both through a LAN and wireless. yay, D-Link.

The Linksys I just bought doesn't do any of the above. no "pay me" page, no "i'm sucking bandwidth" internet access, nothing.

so i'm going to be patient, be a good boy, reactivate my DSL payments on monday, and hold on to the linksys until it can access properly. if it still doesn't work, i'm going back to my robbing little d-link and just be ghetto, even though that means i have to live with a router than doesn't let me play online PS2 games or attach lan's linksys wireless music server. suckage.

So basically, Linksys isn't crap so much as it isn't a theiving evil device of evil? Huh. Yeah, I guess my Linksys router never DID kick a puppy.

Also, am I allowed to say that I like my un-burned in RS1 better than anything else I heard today without sounding like a starstruck Grado fanboy who just got a new toy?

EDIT: Anything, I mean, OTHER than Jahn's C-Padded HF-1?

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #10 of 112
Yeah I liked the RS1. Think I should trade my HF1s for them plus cash (as in the other person pays, me?
tongue.gif
)

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #11 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Yeah I liked the RS1. Think I should trade my HF1s for them plus cash (as in the other person pays, me?
tongue.gif
)

Hahah. Was there ever actually an HF-1 - RS-1 Trade? I mean, I know the HF-1 trades at WELL above what it is worth, but it'd take a LOT of cash for me to trade even a pair of permanantly un-burned in RS1 to even consider it. The RS-1 wipes the floor with the HF-1.

Flat out... the value of the HF-1 is $250 - $300 depending on your tastes. It's better than the SR225, but I think the MS2i does a lot better... depending on what kind of music you use it with.

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #12 of 112
The Burninator rules all.

Ok, I'm staying on my thieving D-Link until my verizon kicks back in legitimately. I finally got the Linksys to act like it's my DSL modem (meaning, it's a good boy and goes to the "pay me" verizon page too) and got it to work wirelessly and with a password, etc - to get to the "pay me" site.

With that done, I set the linksys aside and put the D-Link back on to terrorize da web.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #14 of 112
The burninator was interesting. This wasn't a can that wowed but you got to appreciate it's good after you hear other stock KOSSes.

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #15 of 112
I liked Mercuttio's SR60 just out of my iRiver. I think I was in the mood for that kind of sound.

I also liked Jahn's Stax system. Sonically very enjoyable and unique and rewarding, which is more important to me than trying to find that elusive "perfect" sound. I want one. I'd seek one out now, but as you guys reminded me, I already have an electrostatic system I'm waiting for.

Was great to hear a bit of Aaron's vinyl rips on his little mp3 player. Who cares if it's sacrilege to some audiophiles. I like vinyl, and this makes it portable and convienent.

Oski's W5000 and Earmax as always was pleasing. Was surprised the extent to which I heard the difference between his cables. I really ought to get my Kimber Silver Streaks out from connecting my DVD player to my TV.
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Postscript: Oh, Lion's Head and sho-long-po FTW!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back