NYC Mini-Meet 12-18-05
Dec 19, 2005 at 10:03 AM Post #16 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Thanks for the impressions Romanee. Could you tell more about RP6DQ vs. RP5.1? I know you didn't have RP5.1 there but if you still remember something about its sound. I'd be very interested.

Briefly, the RP6-DQ is a very different (and beautiful) sound. We still have to hear it with the Qualias, for which it was designed. Sense memory is far from dependable, but I think the RP5.1's character may have more in common with the NKK-02 than the RP6-DQ. The RP5.1 and NKK-02 both have a fast, forward, detailed sound — though the RP5.1 has a more robust sound than the compact NKK-02. I don't wish to comment further, being half asleep and not having the 2 to compare side-by-side.

I'd like to hear some detailed descriptions about the 3 Rudistor amps from Oski, Lan and Machead — as well as the other amps at the meet.

Dec 19, 2005 at 11:02 AM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
I'd like to hear some detailed descriptions about the 3 Rudistor amps from Oski, Lan and Machead — as well as the other amps at the meet.

Me too!

If everything goes fine we'll have the Finnish meet in the end of January and if everything goes superfine there will not only be my RP5.1 but RPX33 also.

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #18 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Me too!

If everything goes fine we'll have the Finnish meet in the end of January and if everything goes superfine there will not only be my RP5.1 but RPX33 also.

I look forward to your group's impressions of those 2 Rudi amps and of course the meet in general!

It's too bad we couldn't get an RPX33 to audition. The RP33 is very lush and so very spacious, but a bit soft on top which suppresses some musical information that would give it more sparkle, texture and inner detail. It is very easy to listen to but wanting more on top. I'd like to hear the RPX33 — and Rudi's other amps.

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #19 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
I look forward to your group's impressions of those 2 Rudi amps and of course the meet in general!

It's too bad we couldn't get an RPX33 to audition. The RP33 is very lush and so very spacious, but a bit soft on top which suppresses some musical information that would give it more sparkle, texture and inner detail. It is very easy to listen to but wanting more on top. I'd like to hear the RPX33 — and Rudi's other amps.

[OT]
Oh and there's also this one guy with Rudistor Egmont Basic electrostatic amp paired up with SR404. I hope he would join us too.
smily_headphones1.gif
[/OT]

HD650 and RP5.1 sure is a match made in heaven. I think there'd be better amps for SA5000 but it does great job with them too.

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #20 of 54
Romanee, as usual, your impressions take the sourdough cake! Excellent, I felt like I was almost there! It sounded like the perfect little minimeet, I'm certain Jjcha feels the same as I do when I say "DOH!" Here's hoping the Tower of Power can have some visitors soon!

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #21 of 54
Nice pics & impressions, guys! Those Rudistor amps look terrific.

Anyone in the crowd own a pair of AKG K271's? I really want to compare them to my older K270's one of these days.

Dec 19, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #22 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
CIMG2488.jpg

Yet another head-fier wearing the SA5000 incorrectly! I bet they sounded thin/bright and weren't terribly comfortable, eh? Well both of those problems are rectified by wearing them tilted back such that only the mesh part of the headband touches your head. I see this so often in meet pics, it really makes me wonder what percentage of SA5K detractors were wearing them properly.

Dec 19, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Yet another head-fier wearing the SA5000 incorrectly!

I've never had issues wearing the SA5k the "normal" way. I'm trying to remember whether it was the SA5k or the Qualia 010 (others have also said the 010 should be worn tilted back as well), but the guide specifically showed the headphone worn in the normal position and the tilted back method as incorrect. I think it was the 010 now that I think about it.

I dunno, I'm sure some people find it makes a difference. I'm just saying for me it doesn't. The brightness/thinness/etc., of both the 010/SA5000 seem to more more acclimatization than anything else. If I spend all evening listening to the K 1000, switching to the 010 sounds bright/piercing for 5 ~ 10 minutes while my brain gets all re-adjusted.

Dang, I really wish I could have made it to this one - sorry guys, we'll have to do the 010 thing later.

Best,

-Jason

Dec 19, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #24 of 54
I’ve always been curious about Rudi’s amps as there is a small but devoted fan base for his products. Build wise, I’ve also appreciated his sense of sleek industrial styling. But there just isn't really any opportunity to hear one here in the States. I also came very close to buying an NKK-02 at the introductory price a few months ago. The NKK-02 is a handsome little amp, with it’s ¼ aluminum face, black chassis with attractive side heat rails, pair of exposed tubes on top, and large polished chrome volume knob that seems to float on a halo of soft cream colored back lighting. At roughly 8”L x 6”W x 3”H it is a nicely compact size. In terms of sound, as a tube hybrid, it nicely blends the smoothness of tubes with the speed and dynamicism of a SS, where it capably reproduced the complex transient passages with fast electronic percussions on a Faithless track we were playing (which seemed slightly slower on an all tube amp such as the EMP). Overall I thought that it was a very capable unit and should compete well within the price range.

I actually liked the NKK-02 better than the RP-33 Dual Mono. For an SS amp, the RP-33 is extremely tube-like with its warm and lush sound. It is beautifully open in the mids, but seems to somehow taper a bit in the extremes, which reinforces it's tube-like character. But I think the RP-33 can be easily appreciated due it’s a warmth and generally easygoing attitude. Both the RP-33 and NKK-02 I thought were very smooth and liquid, but it comes possibly at a slight expense of higher resolution and conveying subtle and fine harmonic detail.

Here’s where the RP-6DQ separates itself from the other Rudi amps. Similar to the RP-5.1, it manages to extract the delicate detail of instruments and give a better insight into the notes. It also manages to do so while being lush and full. It is also much more linear sounding without the perceived roll-off of the 33 or the forward mids of the RP-5.1. In fact, this amp brings together the best qualities of both of these amps…that being the ease and openness of the 33, the extension and detail of the 5.1. While the RP-6DQ was designed with the Qualia in mind, I thought it worked with everything we plugged into it (HD600 with Blue Dragon, HD650 with Equinox, stock K501, and DT880 with Highflyin9 cable). Compared to the wonderful EMP, the RP-6 was wider, had a tighter bass, and has a slight advantage in upper end extension. This is such a fantastic amp, it should really be produced still and not billed as a Qualia amp at all (which unfairly pigeon-holes this versatile amp).

Nonetheless, the EMP manages to hold its own during this meet. This little jewel is just very lush and dimensional. While it’s a bit narrower than some of the other amps, it manages a better sense of depth than any of them, which produces a more 3D and holographic sound (this being accentuated by the Electro Harmonix tubes I favor) that seem to envelop you in the music. It also seems to have just a slightly better sense of texture and is on par with the PR-6 in conveying the decay and detail of each note. With the DT880, it just has such a musical and spacious pairing, which along with the comfort of the 880s seems to be a rig that’ll allow you to just sit back and enjoy the music for hours.

As for the Hornet, while the approximately 400 hours Peter has put on it had perhaps smoothed things out a little bit compared to the last time, it’s still the same Grado-like experience of forwardness, boldness, and aggressiveness. However, unlike Peter, I didn’t find that it had that much inner or up-front detail, spatiality, separation, and placement…all of which are how I’d describe it’s much more refined big brother the SR-71. To me they represent two different approaches to sound, and people will likely find one or the other to be their cup of tea. It's a good thing Ray Samuels offers these amps with complementary sonic attributes at two different price points. The Hornet is just unabashedly a rock out amp, punchy, dynamic, and impactful. It is a marvel of a small amp and as I’ve said before is a very good portable companion…with a sound that will cut through the ambient noise of the outside world. But for a jazz ensemble or full scale orchestra, the SR-71 would likely convey the nuances and scale to better effect. That being said, I think Peter’s Senn CPX 300 (?) worked very well with the Hornet, in that it actually altered the presentation to expand the soundstage to an appreciable level that I liked and helped create a better feeling of dimensionality…though at a slight expense of an edgier top end and a slightly wonky bottom.

As for the song I played through my speaker rig, it was actually a Roger Waters track from an SACD sampler that came with my very modest Sony DVD player (with my Stello DAC soon to be on its way). Machead had brought an Ultrasone sampler that created about the most out of the head headphone listening experience I’ve heard. So I played a track that showed that a properly recorded/engineered track on a decent 2 channel setup can result in sound that’ll seem like it's coming from a multi-channel system.

Dec 19, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

Yet another head-fier wearing the SA5000 incorrectly! I bet they sounded thin/bright and weren't terribly comfortable, eh? Well both of those problems are rectified by wearing them tilted back such that only the mesh part of the headband touches your head. I see this so often in meet pics, it really makes me wonder what percentage of SA5K detractors were wearing them properly.

I agree with you that wearing them incorrectly is very uncomfortable but I can't hear any major differencies in the sound no matter how I wear them.

Dec 19, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

Well actually, Iron Dreamer, we've all got very different-shaped heads and ears — and I moved them around quite a bit until they sounded best. I know about the "correct position" and have spent many hours with this same pair in the past (thanks to Lan). There was nothing to "detract" because they sounded wonderful with the RP6-DQ.

Dec 19, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #27 of 54
I'm afraid I have no impressions. I had too much gas and was afraid I'd ignite being too close to the tubes.
very_evil_smiley.gif
eek.gif
etysmile.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #28 of 54
Quote:

I bet they sounded thin/bright and weren't terribly comfortable, eh?

I wore them the way you describe and the Hamilton meet and they were quite comfortable... still thin and bright to my ears though.
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #29 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I'm afraid I have no impressions. I had too much gas and was afraid I'd ignite being too close to the tubes.
very_evil_smiley.gif
eek.gif
etysmile.gif

Ok I change my mind. It's a good thing I didn't go to the meet. EEWW!
basshead.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #30 of 54
Seems that Oski and I have many similar impressions.

His comment that the RP6-DQ combines the best of the RP33 and NKK-02 reminded me that after the big November 11th NYC Metro Meet I kept thinking that if Rudi could combine the RP33 and RP5.1 he'd have a great sound, and as I posted earlier, the NKK-02 has some of the character of the RP5.1. We all seem to have had simiilar impressions hearing the 3 Rudi amps yesterday.

Rudi — if you haven't already created a new model with this lovely sound, the RP6-DQ is the one to revive … and as Oski and I have both noted, it matches beautifully with a wide varety of phones, so it should not be marketed as a "Qualia-targeted" amp since it has much wider appeal.

When we get to hear it with the Qualias, we'll post updated impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back