NYC Mini-Meet 12-18-05
Dec 19, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #31 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Ok I change my mind. It's a good thing I didn't go to the meet. EEWW!
basshead.gif

Hey! Your sig is WAAYYYYY too crowded … it's so disturbing to look … you'd better give me some of that junk so your wife won't really freak out.
icon10.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #32 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Hey! Your sig is WAAYYYYY too crowded … it's so disturbing to look … you'd better give me some of that junk so your wife won't really freak out.
icon10.gif

Bah, it's not even the entire Tower of Power, it's just the headphone-related stuff - the vinyl and speaker stuff takes a back seat to my main pursuit of the "Ru!" I figure the whole thing is fine in my profile, but the stuff in my sig is helpful due to the links and stuff, if anyone's curious.

Speaking of curious I STILL haven't heard a Rudi amp! Argh!

Dec 19, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #33 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
...unlike Peter, I didn’t find that it had that much inner or up-front detail, spatiality, separation, and placement…all of which are how I’d describe it’s much more refined big brother the SR-71. To me they represent two different approaches to sound, and people will likely find one or the other to be their cup of tea.....

We all agree to disagree so I have no argument with your impressions. I can't imagine the SR-71 presenting anything "up front", and certainly not upfront detail. I've always found it to be very open and airy, more spacious than the Hornet, subtle and nuanced with great microdetail and microdynamics (thus the nuances) — but I've been listening to a wide range of classical and jazz with the Hornet and to my sensibilities, though it doesn't have the relaxed, easy-breathing, pretty sound of the SR-71 … I feel it does a fine job reproducing the rich texture and timbre of instruments and voices, as well as some of the sonic character of the recorded environment/space. We seem to have different ideas of what "detail" and "inner detail" are. Language and perception are tough tools to standardize.

I don't like The Hornet better than SR-71 — I just like them both. If you love the SR-71 and that's the sound you want, then of course The Hornet won't fill that bill, and wasn't meant to.

The Hornet can be fatiguing with some phones (as can many other amps) — but I don't find it irritating on top with the PXC300. Smooth or irritating is more dependent on the recording. At one point we were hearing Alison Krauss+Union Station live, and I've found that although it's a wonderful live recording (I like their renditions and the sound quality better than the same tunes on the studio recordings.) — there are some passages where Alison's voice does sound harsh on top (mic/live venue sound/recording issues I'm sure).

I feel The Hornet has good imaging characteristics … certainly with a very different character than the SR-71. The SR-71 has its unique "black background" and huge air around performers, whereas the Hornet is closer in some respects to the Portaphile in that those open spaces are filled with energy and the interaction of sound between the performers, but I can clearly hear the position of the performers and the space around them, and the soundstage does sometimes seem to extend to or beyond the ears with more height and depth acquired with burn in.

I've also noticed that Oski and I sometimes perceive sounds differently, unless we're just focusing on different areas and aspects of the sound (with our own unique preferences, expectations and experiences) and so have different overall impressions in some cases.

Dec 19, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Bah, it's not even the entire Tower of Power, it's just the headphone-related stuff - the vinyl and speaker stuff takes a back seat to my main pursuit of the "Ru!" I figure the whole thing is fine in my profile, but the stuff in my sig is helpful due to the links and stuff, if anyone's curious.

Speaking of curious I STILL haven't heard a Rudi amp! Argh!

Just teasing, of course.

If we work out for the next mini-meet to be at your place for the Tower of Power, I'll bet that Machead will bring the RP6-DQ … which is the one to hear anyway. Juicy it is, young Luke.
tongue.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #35 of 54
As I noted early here — we really should do a small focus portion of the next meet to define which of the phones we have available match best with The Hornet, and then compare it with the best portables/small transportables we have available — which are some of the best: SR-71, AE-1, LaRocco PocketReference2, PortaphileV2^2, Cute amps(?), Z-lambda … sorry no Xin — there never seems to be a good current Xin amp at any NYC meets!

Dec 19, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #36 of 54
Quote:

As I noted early here — we really should do a small focus portion of the next meet to define which of the phones we have available match best with The Hornet, and then compare it with the best portables/small transportables we have available — which are some of the best: SR-71, AE-1, LaRocco PocketReference2, PortaphileV2^2, Cute amps(?), Z-lambda … sorry no Xin — there never seems to be a good current Xin amp at any NYC meets!

Yeah, the only two Xin amps I know about in the city are Lan's superdual, and my friend's SMv1, which he just sold to 1911 for a bag of Old Bay crab chips. Too bad no one has one over here to check out!

Dec 19, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

Yeah, the only two Xin amps I know about in the city are Lan's superdual, and my friend's SMv1, which he just sold to 1911 for a bag of Old Bay crab chips. Too bad no one has one over here to check out!

I (finally) just sent what I hope is a courteous enough request to Dr. Xin for a review sample of his latest creation for our NYC group to burn in and audition along side of the many portables we've got here. I'll let y'all know what happens.

Dec 19, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

I (finally) just sent what I hope is a courteous enough request to Dr. Xin for a review sample of his latest creation for our NYC group to burn in and audition along side of the many portables we've got here. I'll let y'all know what happens.

Cool! I have great anticipation for the newest SM and the supermini too!

Dec 19, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #39 of 54
Here's a bizarre occurance. Jahn was in my dreams today in my afternoon nap.
eek.gif

I'm losing it. *rocks back and forth*

My fave headphone today was DT880 and fav amp was EMP. RP6DQ was better but synergy still plays. On SA5000 it was too bright.

I prefer the speakers though hehe. It just had guts. Then again maybe my speakers are too thin sounding
tongue.gif

Dec 20, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #40 of 54
Quote:

We all agree to disagree so I have no argument with your impressions. I can't imagine the SR-71 presenting anything "up front", and certainly not upfront detail. I've always found it to be very open and airy, more spacious than the Hornet, subtle and nuanced with great microdetail and microdynamics (thus the nuances) — but I've been listening to a wide range of classical and jazz with the Hornet and to my sensibilities, though it doesn't have the relaxed, easy-breathing, pretty sound of the SR-71 … I feel it does a fine job reproducing the rich texture and timbre of instruments and voices, as well as some of the sonic character of the recorded environment/space. We seem to have different ideas of what "detail" and "inner detail" are. Language and perception are tough tools to standardize.

I don't like The Hornet better than SR-71 — I just like them both. If you love the SR-71 and that's the sound you want, then of course The Hornet won't fill that bill, and wasn't meant to.

The Hornet can be fatiguing with some phones (as can many other amps) — but I don't find it irritating on top with the PXC300. Smooth or irritating is more dependent on the recording. At one point we were hearing Alison Krauss+Union Station live, and I've found that although it's a wonderful live recording (I like their renditions and the sound quality better than the same tunes on the studio recordings.) — there are some passages where Alison's voice does sound harsh on top (mic/live venue sound/recording issues I'm sure).

I feel The Hornet has good imaging characteristics … certainly with a very different character than the SR-71. The SR-71 has its unique "black background" and huge air around performers, whereas the Hornet is closer in some respects to the Portaphile in that those open spaces are filled with energy and the interaction of sound between the performers, but I can clearly hear the position of the performers and the space around them, and the soundstage does sometimes seem to extend to or beyond the ears with more height and depth acquired with burn in.

I've also noticed that Oski and I sometimes perceive sounds differently, unless we're just focusing on different areas and aspects of the sound (with our own unique preferences, expectations and experiences) and so have different overall impressions in some cases.

Agreed. But by upfront detail, I meant macro detail (which is what I thought you meant), because no one would ever suggest the SR-71 is upfront at all. The SR-71 has great macro detail in the sense it images well, gives instruments their own space with ample air, and casts the sound in a big space. This is presented with refinement as opposed to the Hornet’s “here’s a COWBELL!” in your face approach. Don’t get me wrong, they are entirely different beasts, suitable for different purposes. At two different meets I’ve heard the Hornet, I was nothing but impressed by it’s big bold sound. They sounded great even as the noise was getting through the headphones. Meanwhile in the same environment, the subtleties of the SR-71 were very much overtaken by its surroundings. Conversely for desktop use, the SR-71’s very charming nature is very much appreciated, while the brash Hornet is just a bit too much for me. To me they just excel in different settings.

The pairing of the Hornet with the PXC300 was quite a pleasant surprise for me. This is one of the very synergistic couplings of the day along with the DT880/EMP, HD6xx/RP6-DQ, K501/Shuffle. That was the only time that the Hornet seemed to allow the headphone to really open up and breathe (while in a quiet environment). The slight edginess on the top end was possibly the result of the Zu cable. Lan also mentioned he had never heard his HF-1 sound so bright before.

I think all of us (lan, Jahn, jjcha, et. al.) have different preferences and perceive sound slightly differently, as well as focus on differing aspects of the sound. But the interesting thing is there is a understanding of what we each appreciate about certain equipment. At the end of the day however, we’ve each settled on very different equipment with only a few things owned in common actually...but that's what makes our mini meets so much fun.

Dec 20, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #41 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Here's a bizarre occurance. Jahn was in my dreams today in my afternoon nap.
eek.gif

I'm losing it. *rocks back and forth*

My fave headphone today was DT880 and fav amp was EMP. RP6DQ was better but synergy still plays. On SA5000 it was too bright.

I prefer the speakers though hehe. It just had guts. Then again maybe my speakers are too thin sounding
tongue.gif

I came haunting your dreams saying "mooodddd my DAC-ah...Round twooooooo!"
evil_smiley.gif

And it is quite disturbing that there are now two folks who've put me in their catnaps - Lisa and Lan. what up?
confused.gif
icon10.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #42 of 54
I apologize for taking so long to weigh in on the not-so-recent mini meet. Here's my take on the proceedings before my memories of the occasion dematerialize as surely as those tangy sourdough loaves.

My first impression of the RudiStor RP6-DQ, after I received it from its previous owner, was of its vivid soundstage. On that occasion, a very brief encounter, it was being fed from my MSB LinkDAC III. Compared with the AudioValve RKV that normally amplifies the LinkDAC's output, the Rudi added extra width to my Sennheiser HD600's presentation and even managed to make my AKG K501s sound two dimensional. (Note to Romanee -- I do have a second pair of HD600s, with Oehlbach cables.
600smile.gif
)

The ex-Ray X-Ray arrived after the Rudi, so the meet was the first time I had heard them together. (Neither is part of my regular home setup.) The combination confirmed what I had noted earlier, while the meet provided the opportunity to audition the amp with Oski's DT880/Highflyin9, Romanee's well-worn K501s, my HD600/Blue Dragon and HD650/Equinox, and Lan's SA-5000s. It was soon apparent that the RP6 has the ability to make a wide assortment of headphones sound great. It has strong bass and extended, but delicate, treble. I believe that this attention to the frequency extremes, rather than the midrange so often associated with tube amplification, is what gives the RP6 its extraordinary ambience retrieval. Reverberation and reflection artifacts were presented in abundant detail, making it so much easier to imagine the recording space. This was particularly apparent with the album "Deep River" by Cantus, recorded by John Atkinson in a lushly reverberant hall. The RP6 midrange is liquid but not prominent, so it didn't "lift the Sennheiser veil" in the same way that my Perreaux SXH1 does, for instance. This isn't a problem in my view: when you're basking in the glorious hall sound, it doesn't matter if you're not sitting in the front row. Like many of Rudi's designs, the RP6 has tube voltage amplification followed by a solid state high current output stage.

The RP6 was specifically designed for Qualias but lacking the real thing, we had to make do with the SA-5000s. Up until this meet, I was a Sony virgin, so I have nothing with which to compare the RP6. Based on the comments of others, I expected the SA5k to sound ultra-detailed to the point of irritation but it was not to be. They certainly were more resolving than the HD650s but I didn't get the impression that they were trying to reveal stuff that wasn't actually in the recording. One thing that did annoy me, however, was a strange effect with sounds emanating from the center of the stage. One of the singers in Cantus was clearly center-stage but was apparently swaying a little from side to side. With the Sennheisers, I could hear him doing just that; with the Sonys, he seemed to be leaping from side to side. It was as though there was a gap in the center of the Sonys' soundstage that forced the sonic image to move to one side or the other, as if subject to magnetic repulsion. Very odd!

My favorite headphones with the RP6 were the HD650/Equinox combination. I still prefer the DT880s with the EarMax Pro and I'm still looking for an amp that can really tame the K501's inherent harshness. I must admit that Romanee's 501s are the best-sounding that I've heard---they're streets ahead of mine---but there's something crazy about headphones that aren't burned in until the pads are burned out.
tongue.gif
I have high hopes for the K701s that should arrive soon (if AKG gets around to shipping some more); but I plan to burn them in for a long, long time without a head between them. (OK, who's the smart-ass who said I might as well wear them?)

I couldn't get enthusiastic about the all-solid-state Rudi RP33. Even allowing for the RP6-withdrawal factor, it seemed lifeless to me. The bass was awesome but somebody had stolen the treble. Its sonic balance reminded me of the Shure E5c. The Rudi NKK02 was a lot of fun, and one of the more civilized in-your-face amps I have heard to date. It's not as extreme as the Hornet in that respect, as it retains the smoothness of a tube stage (just in case you didn't notice those glass gadgets poking through the top panel). I think I would find it tiring with classical music for any length of time, but it made for a pleasant diversion for those of a Faithless persuasion and would probably work quite well with a close-miked jazz combo, too.

A word about that Ultrasone disc that had everyone's eyes popping. Ultrasone devotes a lot of advertising effort to their claim that a special placement/orientation of the drivers reduces the "head-bound" effect of less highly evolved (or intelligently designed) headphones. Both my pairs shipped with a demonstration CD containing selections aimed at proving this assertion. Some of them are obviously processed via an algorithm that is not disclosed on the CD jacket. My guess is that it's something akin to Dolby Headphone (in that format's least echoey version). The opening track features a jazz group and presents a soundstage that has most listeners looking around in an attempt to locate the musicians that appear to surround them. It's very convincing; but Ultrasone omits to mention that the effect is just as startling with anything better than Apple earbuds.

I didn't spend much time with Romanee's selection of portable amps, so my SR-71's future is still secure. The Sennheiser PX300 headphones sounded pretty good through the Hornet and their convenience factor cannot be denied. I was disappointed by the apparent ineffectiveness of the noise cancellation; but it's not too surprising given the small size of the supra-aural pads. I'll be sticking with IEMs for my winter commute.

Thanks, Oski, for letting us invade your super-tidy home once again!

Mar 4, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #43 of 54
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Cool! I have great anticipation for the newest SM and the supermini too!

I just re-read our old thread and realized I forgot to report: Dr. Xin very courteously replied that he has so many orders for his amps, and is so busy fulfilling them, that he has no review samples available.

To be accurate, here's the exact reply:

"Hi Peter,

Sorry for being so slow, really cannot catch up.

Thank you for your interest and for your kindness for the community. I
would love to send a sample, but right now I have nothing in stock.
People have been waiting for more than a month to get an amp. Please
understand. I have not been able to send any sample to any magazine yet,
including SoundStage, they requested a year ago!

Thank you again and I hope I'll be able to catch up soon.

Xin"

Sorry crew -- still no current Xin amp to compare with crop of currently available portables. Pity that the only 2 Xin SM amps I heard were early v1 amps -- both with particular problems, and likely not representative of the sound that so many apparently find very enjoyable.

Regarding Rudi's amps, the April National Meet will mostly likely include Rudi himself (!!!) and possibly his RP7 Lite, NX-01, and a new electrostatic amp. I find it a bit surprising that he may be bringing the RP7 Lite and not also the RP7B, since there seem to be so many more proponents of the balanced approach as of late. I hope the RP7 is at least as good as the RP6-DQ -- love that amp!

Cheers,
Peter

Mar 4, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #44 of 54
hopefully i'll finally get a listen to a Rudi amp then hehe! I dunno why there is such a shortage of Xin amps on the east coast, but hopefully someone will bring a latest version to the Nat Meet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back