NYC meet impressions
May 18, 2003 at 2:57 AM Post #16 of 126
I had a good time and it was great to meet the NYC guys.They are a dedicated bunch and the amount of gear stuffed into that unbelievably small space is proof.

After meeting Grinch I now see what his problem is.I see he was able to form some pretty stout opinions after listening for "five minutes in a crowded noisey room".Good for him.

I was really not able to form any really solid opinions but I got a chance to listen to five songs that I know well, using my phones(HD600/Equinox) to a few of the solid state amps I really wanted to hear.My impressions are brief but I only posted about stuff that I actually got a chance to listen to(what a noble and unique concept around here)

Carlo Modded Headmaster - This is the first and only headmaster I have ever liked.It shares none of bland tonal character of the OEM Headmaster.This amp has bass and a real midrange.There are no huge gaps in the frequency like the stock unit.I'm impressed.This is one of the few modded amps that is done right.Bravo Carlo.

Gilmore V2 - I don't know.I tried to give this amp a chance.I'm glad I didn't buy one.There are some great solid-state amps around and the Gilmore V2 just isn't one of them.It sounds OK and seems able to drive most headphones well but this amp is just flat.Some may speak up for it and call it neutral and uncolored,but I see it as plain and uninspired.If you have heard Krell Loudspeaker amps I think you can get an idea of what I hear.The V2 offers no real competition for the Headroom,Meier Audio or Samuels amps.I think the fans of this amp want it to do well and that's fine but this amp has certainly benefitted from a lot of hype.Justin did a good job of creating that hype but the V2 is ultimately a disappointment.

I am really falling in love with the R10.I think I have to find a way to get a pair.They are the best,no doubt.I have heard all the other gear that was at this meet extensivley but I had a chance to hear some unique combos and the R10 and Cary 300SEi was a good one.When I sold Cary I was never impressed with any of their gear,though I became good friends with Dennis Had and I sold it faster than I could get it.I'm gonna arrange to get another 300SEI to try with some other gear I have picked up since I heard the last one.The Cary sounded very good but was not up to the "CES Ringer Twinhead" standards.I have to qualify that statement by saying I am very much a fan of the 2A3 tube and think the 300B is only OK.So maybe I come into this one wearing that bias on my sleeve.The 300SEI was still a great amp.Those Cary CDPs are not my flavor at all.I have hated every one I heard and even when I sold them I tried to encourage auditions first.

I have to thank Highwaystar for being such an incredible host and thank John Grado for allowing the meet to be held at his shop.I really enjoyed the company of the NYC guys.They made feel at home.Thanks guys.

May 18, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #17 of 126
Well, it was a great day indeed. First of all I want to thank everyone there for making it such a festive and welcome atmosphere. It was a real pleasure for me today to meet the members I haven't met before (gloco, hazmat, KR, bootman, davie, zotjen), to see the guys I haven't seen in a while (grinch, skippy, lan, pod lover), and to be with the regulars I have gotten to both know, and really appreciate their friendship (highwaystar, FCJ, bozebuttons, jpelg). Everyone today brought that special quality that makes them great people, plus some killer gear.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I especially want to thank Hirsch and Tuberoller for the pleasure of meeting and being able to shake your hands today; not only for the mounds of class and knowledge they bring to the boards, but also for being such truly nice people.

I didn't focus so much on the "big rigs" today as I did on some specific ideals and questions I had, and I'll post more about them later (or tomorrow).

A Special thanks to John Grado and his staff again for their incredible hospitality and graciousness. It was a great day al around.

May 18, 2003 at 3:19 AM Post #18 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch

AKG K1000:
The short of it: They still suck. I've heard these damn things on three or four different amps and no matter what I just can't get into them. Sure the imaging is neat, but the grating bright signature is just totally unacceptable to me. Just my feelings on it, even after hearing them on the RKV.

Quote:

Originally posted by KR...

The AKG K1000 still sound great, one of the best headphones that money can buy. For me, they sounded their best with the upgraded cables (Equinox) hooked and up to the beautiful NORH (Sp?) Tube amp.

These two differing opinions on the same headphone while at first blush seem troubling are in fact very illustrative of a point that I think isn't made enough. They are opinions nothing more, nothing less and they are correct and reflect what the reviewer heard and how their brain interpreted the sound. As we listen to equipment and form our own opinions we can see where we hear what a reviewer hears and where we differ. People always say that you should keep an open mind when listening to new equipment but I think preconceived notions and biases may color how we hear the sound. As one reviews more and more equipment hopefully these preconceived thoughts can be filtered out of the review. When you are able to calibrate a reviewer based on your hearing and preferences they become invaluable.

May 18, 2003 at 3:34 AM Post #20 of 126
I would love to hear some more impression on the K1000 + nOrh SE9 setup.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anybody?

May 18, 2003 at 3:57 AM Post #21 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
Just a side note, even though it was a great day, It would have been even better with Joelongwood's attendence there as well.

Joe, you were very much missed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, Bill.......I appreciate that. I really wish I could have been there today, but a lot of things cropped up all at once.
It looks like everybody had a great time, and I'm enjoying reading the impressions. Keep 'em comin'.......and PICS....we want PICS!!
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #22 of 126
I Have to say there where a few supprises for me at the meet. Most meets I don't really listen much. To much time setting up stuff.
The one amp that threw me for aloop was Mikales mxp3.At first listen It sounded lightweight, unimpressive.
I gave mikale a pair of amazon interconnects a little better but still no cigar. Towards the end of the meet he asked if I had any spare tubes for the Mxp3. As he apparentely felt something was amiss withthe tubes in the unit.
It just so happened I had spare set of Vt231 sylvania 1945 vintage for my cary on hand.
There was a night and day differance in how this amp sounded now.
The way hirsch and tuberoller described the singlepower amps was there inspades now. From the first track. I was using my Hp3s.
This amp is a true bargin, It Was very transparent and everything just sounded right Top to bottom
I am considering buying one.
I would go into more detail but its been a long day.
Anyone who heard the amp before the tube change and didn't hear it after.
Didn't hear what this amp is capable of.
Sorry I didn't get to talk to Tuberoller. But I did get to talk to hirsh and Mikale. It was great these guys traveled so far to share the meet with all the great Ny members.It was a pleasure meeting them. Hope they enjoyed it as much as we enjoyed having them attend.
I had the pleasure of driving in with Gopher , It was his first meet. He is a true gentleman and I would like thank him for all the help he gave me with my gear.
Highwaystar did a great job on this meet. And John Grado Always the Great host. Thanks again John
I will post more impressions of some of the gear I listened to tommorow.
Time to catch some zzzzs
It was fun as usual.

May 18, 2003 at 4:20 AM Post #23 of 126
Whew! Just arrived home from the train station after a terrific day in Brooklyn. I am sure that everyone's brains are still buzzing from today's experience. It was truly a feast for the ears, with so much awesome equipment that it was difficult to keep any kind of focus. But that is a good problem to have, of course
wink.gif

It was great getting together with "old" friends, first-timers (many of whom are much more experienced Head-Fier's than I), and those that made the extra effort to travel very long distances to share with us (Hirsch, Tuberoller).

A few impressions:

Apple iPod - Had a chance to play with one for longer than just a few minutes at the beginning of the meet. Very slick. Nice sound too, but they do not have any headroom with the Ety ER4S'. My reco is to get the 4P's if running w/o an amp. Adding a portable META changes things alot. (*see edit below)

[/edit: I actually chanced upon a new open-box, old-school 10-giger on the way home for $179 - sweet!. Anyway, the ER4S's seem to play fine using the music that came on this Pod. Plenty loud. I take back what I said. Perhaps it has to do with the way the music on the unit at the meet was ripped. Not sure.]

Sony Eggo D66 - very impressed. I can see these being a nice combo with an iPod. My favorite under-$100 can, at the moment.

AT 2002 - My new overall favorite headphone, aside from the Grado HP-1. I listened to these very briefly at the last meet out of an HR Cosmic and was less than impressed. I wanted to give them another shot, which I did on my Benchmark and the Carlos-modded Headmaster. Very nice, even tone throughout the frequency spectrum. Exactly as I expect realistic music to sound. In short, if I find a pair at a decent price, I will buy it - nuff said. Oh, and that modded Sugden - NIIIIICE!!!!!

AT W100 - Bearing the basic A-T sonic signature, it was similiar to the 2002's, but clearly not in the same league. These are all about the midrange, which is particularly sweet, and dare I say "musical". There is a slightly annoying fuzziness in the lower mid-range/upper-bass frequencies that bugged me enough to not want to buy these. But I certainly understand their charm.

Stax Omega/2020/Senn HE60 - I have come to the conclusion that electrostatics are not my cup of tea. Each of these sounds quite different, with my first-place going to the Omega's, but not by much. The Senn's were a disappointment (sorry Gloco). The 2020's were actually warm sounding and not so bad actually for the money (including amp). None of these are on my "to-buy" list.

Grado HP-1 - These need no introduction. I listened to these out of my Benchmark again, and loved them (again!). I also listened out of the Maestrobator Melos w/Sony DVD source, and thought the combo presented a strangely warm-colored sound. Very unusual for this can, but that's what I heard. Grinch loves this combo though, and we agree on alot of other stuff, so go figure.

Sony R10 - Again needing no introduction. Out of several amps, I think I've finally concluded that these are coloured too much on the warm side for me. I preferred the AT 2002's today with every amp I listened out of.

AKG K1000 - I used to own these. After falling in love with them at first, I eventually found them too bright. I miss them though(sold 'em), and wondered if the Equinox cable or tubes would help. Nope, still too bright. I also could not detect any diff between the stock and Equinox cables running out of the nOrh se-9. Some could, others could not as well.

SinglePower - Mikhail (sp?) was great. He presented his work with gentle enthusiasm, and an obvious knowledge about what he does. In spite of that vast intelligence, he acknowledged each Head-Fier in attendance making us each feel that our opinions about his amps really mattered. I really appreciated that. I personally found the amps a bit on the warm side. That, of course, can easily be changed by tuberolling, among other things. I happen to like the unique "capuccino machine" industrial styling, and would not hesitate to buy one if their sound could be tuned to my tastes.

Grado RS-1 - Thin, even a bit shrill. Even out of the Sugden, and the Melos. Not for me at all. Sorry John, give me the HP-1000 any day.

That's about all I can remember at this late hour. Thanks to all who organized, and brought copious amounts of amazing gear. Much appreciated.

[/edit: From pod-lovers' pics: P5170018 (that's me on the left), and P5170021 (I can't seem to take those 2002's off)]

May 18, 2003 at 4:51 AM Post #26 of 126
Quote:

Did you have a go at the DT-880?

Not this time.
I listened to them at a mini-meet about a month ago. Not a bad can overall. But I find that my preference leans toward cans that do not attempt to reproduce a "speaker-like" experience with what I perceive to be a false, or fake soundstage. My brain has a hard time "suspending it's disbelief" when it hears this kind of soundstage. I simply don't need it. I know I'm listening to headphones. I'm not trying to fake myself out, or anything. Just give me quality, realistic, uncoloured sound. Don't manufacture what you think the soundstage should sound like, which is really impossible for all types of music and recordings. For me this includes the Sennheiser HD600/580, the Sony CD3000, and also the Beyer DT880's. Just not my personal taste, but here are many who really enjoy this can alot.

May 18, 2003 at 5:08 AM Post #27 of 126
I just wanted to say thanks alot to Ken, Tom, and John Grado for making this meet possible. It was my first experience of this nature and, even though I felt my quasi-expereinced ears were a bit out of their league, it was a warm crowd and I felt very welcome. The gear at the meet was nothing short of breath taking, and I tried so many rigs I'd only dreamed of hearing. I now have a MUCH better idea of the sound I'd like to pursue in my system... when I hit the lotto!

Thanks again guys, and it was great meeting all of you.

Fred

P.S. thanks again for the ride and tubes booze, but are much appreciated.

May 18, 2003 at 5:08 AM Post #28 of 126
Sorry it took me so long to post
had to take a bunch of kids to see the matrix
plus at my age
i had to take a nap after so much fun

well it was a great meet
thanks to Highwaystar, for letting me attend
& John Grado for inviting us all

today i met a bunch of great guys
it was great to finally meet some of the faces behind the names
biggrin.gif

unlike everyone else, i'm strictly portable stuff
so i just walked around trying which headphones would work with my ipod

now i know i want some eggos ( thanks Williamgoody
mad.gif
)
also Joelongwood was missed, because i would have loved to try his Sharp DR7
again, before i make that final step to purchasing one

hope this works
here are some pictures
http://homepage.mac.com/podlover/PhotoAlbum1.html

i did it it works

thanks MacDef for telling me about .mac
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2003 at 5:19 AM Post #30 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by screwdriver
which amp did the grado Hp-1 really blend well with?

The Singlepower MPX3 is the only one I can remember that had a really similar silvery finish.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
Keep 'em comin'.......and PICS....we want PICS!!
biggrin.gif

Hey, give me some time to develop the film in my digital camera...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I just got in from the trip back. I want to thank the folks in NY for the incredible hospitality. Ken and Tom did a great job putting the meet together, and I really appreciate Frank and Bill getting me to and from the train station. They're a great group of guys and it was a real pleasure meeting and talking to them.

It was also extremely gracious of John Grado to host the meet. It was great to meet him and talk to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back