NYC headphone dealers?
Dec 10, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #16 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
I'm not vic
tongue.gif
, but yes it is the same store. It's definitely worth visiting!

yes he is. immitbiker = eric, and erikzen = vic. hello, my name is Aaron.

Dec 10, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #17 of 53
Nice to meet all of you, you guys have been so helpful - I really appreciate it!

My name's Sze, (pronounced like the letter c, hence the nick) and I'm a student in the Philly area. As you can probably tell from the post count, I'm pretty new here, and new to audio in general.

Dec 10, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #18 of 53
Quote:

I'm not vic
tongue.gif
, but yes it is the same store. It's definitely worth visiting!

how do you know? maybe you just think you're not me. maybe we're all one collective consciousness living under the illusion of separate physical carrier bodies. different incarnations of the distinct, yet complementary, facets of the hive mind.

was that out loud?

Dec 10, 2004 at 6:03 PM Post #19 of 53
Stop Erik, I mean Vic, you're scaring me!
eek.gif

Dec 10, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #20 of 53
Quote:

Stop Erik, I mean Vic, you're scaring me!
eek.gif

back in the hive! all of you!

Dec 10, 2004 at 6:11 PM Post #22 of 53
My name is Jahn

Dec 10, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #23 of 53
VicAjax, to be sure, so, if you are walking distance to the A/V Salon, then you are walking distance to me, too. Pleased to meet you...

- walkman666

Dec 10, 2004 at 6:38 PM Post #24 of 53
There's also J&R music world near City Hall. Their wall of headphones is kind of sad because it's in bad shape and I don't think all headphones are plugged in the back but you may get a glimpse of some. maybe you can get the salesman to help you.

Dec 10, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #25 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666
VicAjax, to be sure, so, if you are walking distance to the A/V Salon, then you are walking distance to me, too. Pleased to meet you...

- walkman666

back atcha.

i'm a recent transplant from the UWS. i only moved because all the good hi-fi shops are in our neighborhood.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Dec 10, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #26 of 53
Funny, just the opposite...been in the neighborhood 10 years and grew up in the surrounding burbs. A recent transplant comes to NYC during the winter time...good luck, man!

Dec 10, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #27 of 53
Quote:

Funny, just the opposite...been in the neighborhood 10 years and grew up in the surrounding burbs. A recent transplant comes to NYC during the winter time...good luck, man!

no no... i didn't just arrive in nyc.
i just crossed town (UWS = upper west side).
icon10.gif

and i arrived in april... not brand new, but still adjusting.
actually the UES seems to be pretty much the same as the UWS, but with bad architecture.

Dec 10, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #28 of 53
Oooops. Yeah, the upper west side has more character, and more diversity, and is a little younger, but both uptowns are "pale" compared to downtown. Alas, I have kids, so where I live is good for schools (public) and parks. I guess having 3 A/V shops aint bad either, but I don't visit them too often.

cheers, - walkman666

Dec 10, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #29 of 53
Quote:

Oooops. Yeah, the upper west side has more character, and more diversity, and is a little younger, but both uptowns are "pale" compared to downtown. Alas, I have kids, so where I live is good for schools (public) and parks. I guess having 3 A/V shops aint bad either, but I don't visit them too often.

cheers, - walkman666

yup... kid is the real reason i moved....

sorry to hijack your thread, plus_c... you can have it back now.

harvey electronics, on 45th between 5th/6th, doesn't have the best prices, but they've usually got a good selection of grados and sennheisers to audition.

Dec 10, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #30 of 53
Quote:

I don't think it's that pretentious. I think that's just the way high end audio is sold. Most of the high end audio stores where I live work on an appointment only basis. It's a way of differentiating the Qualia line from their consumer grade stuff. I does screen out some of the "window shoppers" and if people are really planning on buying $3000 headphones it adds to their overall buying experience, making them feel a bit more special.

I think it is and I think it's poor business. If they discourage business off the street, that's still discouraging business. They want only people prepared to buy in the store? That's silly. If I were running the shop I would play any equipment for any person who wanted to. That way when someone is ready to buy they'll come to me.

I could see the advantage of encouraging people to call in advance and make an appointment if they would be requiring a lot of the staff's resources. For example, if I called up and said, "Hi, I want to come by your store on Saturday and buy some speakers and cable." That way they can be prepared. However, to turn people away is poor business practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back