NYC headphone dealers?
Dec 10, 2004 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

plus_c

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,
My university is doing a bus trip to NYC tomorrow, and I'm headed with them. While I was there, I figured I'd stop in at a couple headphone retailers, because I want to audition some 'phones other than what I've got. Any suggestions? I'm looking to stay in Manhattan. Brands that I'm interested in include Grado, Senn, AKG, Beyer...I'm open to any and all suggestions. The Qualia store is already on my list...

Thanks so much!

Dec 10, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 53
http://www.lyricusa.com/

Lyric hifi has Grados, Sennheisers and others. 82nd and Lex (and only walking distance from my apt...how convenient...). One option for you.

- walkman666

Dec 10, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 53
Make sure you make an appointment before you go to the Qualia store! Otherwise you'll be pounding on the glass like Hoffman in The Graduate!

If you go to Union Square, check out Sound by Singer - the grados are in the back. Check the 'net for the addy.

If you go to Soho, check out the Stereo Exchange - they carry grados, akg, other stuff. They're on the web too, not their own page tho. they're on broadway and...something. sorry!

Dec 10, 2004 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 53
http://www.stereoexchange.com/

Stereo Exchange guys buy and sell lots of used stuff, too.

http://www.soundbysinger.com/

Stereo Exchange and SoundbySinger are reasonably close to each other; 10-15 minute walk. Lyric Hifi that I mentioned would require a 10-15 minute subway or tax ride from either of the other two stores mentioned by Jahn and linked by me.

- walkman666

Dec 10, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 53
An appointment to the Qualia store???? Wow, aren't they a pretentious bunch...

The shops you guys linked look interesting, I'll make sure to stop by. How are their sales staffs? Would they treat me any worse if they found out I was a college student and thus with very limited funds?

Either way, I'm much intrigued...

Dec 10, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 53
wow stereo exchange has a website, i never knew.

anyhoo, sound by singer is cool, they'll even have one guy there just to help field questions for the Grados and such - nice guy, but i think he uses a HD650 at home. make sure to bypass the xcan they use and tell them to hook up the RKV lurking below it.

stereo exchange will hook you up with, say, a SR225 and a K501 and leave you alone. that's not bad either. bring your own demo disc tho, they dont have any nice reference material.

Dec 10, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 53
I've been to all of these stores, and it depends who you deal with and how busy they are. I've experienced weird, nice, smarmy and not-so-nice types at the stereo exchange and at soundbysinger. Lyric folks are generally nice. If you go into these stores with confidence, and don't look like a skateboard dude or a homeless person, you are better off than if you go in there and they know you are merely going to be what they may perceive as "wasting their time."

- walkman666

Dec 10, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c
An appointment to the Qualia store???? Wow, aren't they a pretentious bunch...

I don't think it's that pretentious. I think that's just the way high end audio is sold. Most of the high end audio stores where I live work on an appointment only basis. It's a way of differentiating the Qualia line from their consumer grade stuff. I does screen out some of the "window shoppers" and if people are really planning on buying $3000 headphones it adds to their overall buying experience, making them feel a bit more special.

Dec 10, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 53
And not so uncommon in NYC. Audio-Video Salon, also in my neighborhood, does not allow folks in off of the street. $50 consult charge by appt. Pluh-eeese. But I understand the rationale -- in NYC there are a lot of folks who would walk-in and waste some valuable time, not to mention the weirdos and the expensive equipment on display in sometimes cramped quarters.

- walkman666

Dec 10, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #10 of 53
Ahh, I wasn't aware that was the way it was done with high-end audio. That makes a bit more sense now, forgive my lack of sophistication.

I don't know what my sched's gonna be like tomorrow, so I guess I should scratch Qualia off my list. I suppose Red Rose Music should also come off the list then...

Dec 10, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666
And not so uncommon in NYC. Audio-Video Salon, also in my neighborhood, does not allow folks in off of the street. $50 consult charge by appt. Pluh-eeese. But I understand the rationale -- in NYC there are a lot of folks who would walk-in and waste some valuable time, not to mention the weirdos and the expensive equipment on display in sometimes cramped quarters.

- walkman666

A/V Salon is a block away from me. i stopped in once when i was helping a friend buy some new speakers. at first the owner asked me if i had an appointment, i told him about my friend, who had apparently beat me there and bought a pair of paradigm signatures and a new amp (not anthem, can't remember which)... and the owner and i ended up talking for about 20 minutes. really nice guy. they don't sell headphones though, except on special order.

lyric, on the other hand... every time i've been in there, they've been douchebags. even when the shop is empty.

B&H at 34th/9th has a pretty huge selection, and the last time i was there they had a listening station. i heard that that was gone, and i don't know what their policy is on auditioning cans, but they've got great prices and a pretty big selection. it's a massive store.

Dec 10, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #12 of 53
vic, is this the same b&h that sells all the photo equipment too? If it is, I think I'll stop by there...

I guess the whole "appointment" thing doesn't quite mesh with me because I'm used to bending over backwards for customers. I used to work at a small computer shop, and (at least speaking for myself) everyone who walked in the door got the best treatment possible. I suppose I can understand the whole "loss prevention" argument though, especially in NYC...

Dec 10, 2004 at 5:45 PM Post #13 of 53
Quote:

vic, is this the same b&h that sells all the photo equipment too? If it is, I think I'll stop by there...

I'm not vic
tongue.gif
, but yes it is the same store. It's definitely worth visiting!

Dec 10, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

I guess the whole "appointment" thing doesn't quite mesh with me because I'm used to bending over backwards for customers. I used to work at a small computer shop, and (at least speaking for myself) everyone who walked in the door got the best treatment possible. I suppose I can understand the whole "loss prevention" argument though, especially in NYC...

yeah... www.bhphotovideo.com

i think they've got most/all of their inventory on the website, under audio-professional. check first to see if they have what you're looking for.

oh, wait... oh crap. it's closed on saturdays because it's run by hassidic jews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back