NYC Head-Fi Meet at Grado Labs - Saturday, November 8th !
Nov 7, 2003 at 4:24 PM Post #181 of 195
If you're flight's on time you are going to be there way too early. It depends on where you're going to be staying as to whether or not you should check into your hotel first. If this is your first trip to New York and you're planning on staying for a few days, you're going to want to stay in Manhattan, provided you have the funds. It ain't cheap
eek.gif
! However, if you're flying in just for the meet then you should stay near the airport. You can always get a cab into Manhattan if you want to go out. A cab ride from LGA to Manhattan usually costs about $15-20 depending on traffic. If everything is on time, traffic isn't too bad and you don't plan on staying at your hotel for too long, then you could get off the plane, grab a cab, drop off your bags and cab it back to Grado in less than 3 hours. In New York, you never know what could happen though.

Nov 7, 2003 at 4:34 PM Post #182 of 195
Hey! I found a hotel not too far from Grado.

Comfort Inn Brooklyn
8315 4th Ave.
Brooklyn, New York 11209
Reservation Phone: 866-598-9330

Nov 7, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #183 of 195
Quote:

Originally posted by erikzen
Hey! I found a hotel not too far from Grado.

Comfort Inn Brooklyn
8315 4th Ave.
Brooklyn, New York 11209
Reservation Phone: 866-598-9330

That's the recommendation you'll get from Grado Labs, that's where John's guests stay.
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2003 at 6:52 PM Post #185 of 195
Wmcmanus,

If you don't care where you stay, there are a dozen motel/hotels within one mile of LaGuardia. If you are going to make a week out of it, then PM me and I can try to help you get a decent rate in Manhattan, and you can make a NYC vacation out of it, using internet services.
However, please realize that LaGuardia has one of the worst on-time records in the US and between landing and getting your luggage, it's probably a good idea to go straight to the meet. If you pick a place by LaGuardia, just make sure to tell them, that you will be arriving after 6pm, so they hold the room for you. This is kind of short notice, and weekends are a busy time for NYC airports, traffic, and hotels. Make sure you have a place to stay b4 you get here.
Last suggestion...if you are only staying 1 or 2 days for the meet, then it would probably cost the same amount of money to rent a car from National, or Alamo (2nd tier car rentals), then the price of a cab in both directions to and from Brooklyn, then you can go into Manhattan and party on Saturday night.
I've taken Air Jamaica from Grand Cayman, and they are pretty decent with their scheduling.

Nov 7, 2003 at 11:19 PM Post #186 of 195
Thanks, everyone, for your help.

I'll be in town from tomorrow morning through Monday morning, so just a 2 night stay. Hopefully, my flight will be on time. If so, I'll rent a car rather than cabbing it to provide more flexibility. I want to see Times Square and Ground Zero (* lost a good friend there *) but that's about it. Sunday shoudl be easier for parking.

I think I'll book at the Comfort Inn Brooklyn as suggested by erikzen and seconded by HighwayStar. Whew! That hotel rate is a bit of cash bite, but you only live once. I should have exchanged headphones for couch space with someone... he he.

Nov 8, 2003 at 12:06 AM Post #187 of 195
Looking through the list of what people are already bringing, I don't see any AKG K270S..........so I guess I'll bring those.
biggrin.gif

I'll also pack up the AKG K340S and K501, the Allessandro MS Pro, Beyer DT-831, Stax SRM001 MKII portables, Grado SR-200s, Earmax Pro, Sugden Headmaster, yet another K1000 DIY cable by aeberbach, and anything else I think may be of interest.
See you guys tomorrow.
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2003 at 1:50 AM Post #189 of 195
Hey guys I'll be there in spirit. I will be at my daughters first swim meet of the season. Let's see hear the MDR-10s or watch Sarah swim? No question. I'm at the swim meet. I'll just have to go home after the meet and listen to my HD650s.

Nov 8, 2003 at 12:07 PM Post #190 of 195
My apologies to everyone (or anyone who's still excited enough to check the thread) for posting this late; I've just had way to much school work on my back recently. Well, here's the gear I'm "lugging" along:

Headphones:

Sony V6's (gee, I hope there's enough...) &

Grado SR60's (and we're going to be at the Grado factory...)

Sources (along with CD's & Minidiscs for use with):

iRiver SlimX 350 PCDP

Sharp MS-722 Minidisc Recorder/Player "Ghettoized" edition (you'll see what that means when you use it)

and last but not least, my:

"Old School" 2nd gen 20gb iPod (in it's pimpin case)

That enough folks?
rolleyes.gif

Well, here's to a good meet, all...
-Casper
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. Almost forgot, is it alright to bring "original" copies of CD's? I just don't want to take all that time making a copy of every CD I'm bringing (over 40).

Nov 9, 2003 at 12:15 AM Post #191 of 195
welp, this here might be the first response message after the meet:

Thanks guys!! I had an awesoem time. Thanks to joe grado for lettiing us come there, and most of all, thanks to the guys who answered my dumb questions and let me hear all their awesome toys. My absoulte favorite setup there was the Cary amp with the r10s i actually got to hear a few songs on. The orpheus was sick too... I didn't get to hear the omegas that much,but they were sick. I thought the coolest looking amp was the rkV, it reminds me of a modded pc.

I hope some guys got to sit down with rays amp and the sacdmods 555es. I really want to hear the guys impression that was taking notes, sorry man i forgot your name.

Anyways, great meet, and i'll gladly come to anothe rone, when ill have more stuff to share! : ]

Marc.

Nov 9, 2003 at 12:19 AM Post #192 of 195
got back home. awesome meet as usual. i'll post pics and impressions in the members lounge.

Nov 9, 2003 at 12:41 AM Post #194 of 195
Quote:

Originally posted by mjg
welp, this here might be the first response message after the meet:

Thanks guys!! I had an awesoem time. Thanks to joe grado for lettiing us come there, and most of all, thanks to the guys who answered my dumb questions and let me hear all their awesome toys. My absoulte favorite setup there was the Cary amp with the r10s i actually got to hear a few songs on.

Hey Marc,

I'm the guy that was sitting with you jamming to that Drums and Tuba (?) cd...great stuff. I definitely agree that the cary+R10's rocked, very smooth and enjoyable. I still think my Sharp DR7+R10's gave everyone's source a run for their money
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 9, 2003 at 2:00 AM Post #195 of 195
Guys, please post impressions (and pics if you've got'em) over in the Member's Lounge. Thanks ! And thanks for coming !

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back