NYC Bi-Annual Meet Impressions, March 3, 2007
Mar 4, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #61 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headphone I liked the most was the nikongod's HP-2 (I think they were HP-2s) from his amp (I forgot what amp it was
frown.gif
). The Joe Grado phones didnt sound like any of the current grado line up at all. It had more soundstage and deeper bass compared to any other John Grado heaphone I tried except the GS1000s. and the SR-200 was a suprise, the low end was much better then the 225s and there was slightly more soundstage then the current grado phones. It was like a mix from the Joe Grado sound with the John Grado sound. Just want to say thanks to nikongod for bringing so much gear!

yeppo, they were hp2's. if you were listening to my "black" amp, with no writing, it is a singlepower extreme platinum with black gate output caps.

yesterdays meet was probably the "hardest" it has ever been run, but it took it well.

for most of the meet it was running a pair of 6080 "hewlet packard" by rca outputs, with an rca 12av7 driver tube. yes folks, thats barely $30 in tubes.

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #62 of 264
Well, I made it home ok and I've already unpacked everything. So far the only thing I'm missing is a Pink Floyd Delicate Sound of Thunder CD that I think got left in bozebutton's rig late in the day. Not bad for me!

I'll post much more detailed impressions later. But it's safe to say I had a great time getting to know the NYC crew better and all in all it was a great way to celebrate my birthday.

Nate

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #63 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I made it home ok and I've already unpacked everything. So far the only thing I'm missing is a Pink Floyd Delicate Sound of Thunder CD that I think got left in bozebutton's rig late in the day. Not bad for me!

I'll post much more detailed impressions later. But it's safe to say I had a great time getting to know the NYC crew better and all in all it was a great way to celebrate my birthday.

Nate

Nate,
Just looked in the Theta,cd was in there,pm me your address & I will send it to you.You should have mentioned it was your Birthday ,we could have gotten the waiters at the Diner sing Happy Birthday & brought out a Cupcake with a Candle on it.
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #64 of 264
Hi All

A funny thing happened on the way out last night. As I was saying goodbyes I mentioned to bozebuttons that someone had put a “kick Me” sign on his back. As I walked by, he just laughed, but I didn’t know why until I got home and my wife says, “You have a “kick Me” sign on your back. “
lambda.gif

standard.jpg

Now I wonder how that could have happened?
very_evil_smiley.gif

standard.jpg

This is bozebuttons checking out Nates set up...

Boze listens

standard.jpg

Boze concentrates

standard.jpg

Boze likes

standard.jpg

Monkey likes too

standard.jpg

Nate hits home run...

Regards

USG

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #65 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Warrior you have definitely expanded your system! Remember the old days when the Docs were your system? Do I sense modded K340's in your future?

I kept laughing at myself at how much stuff I had acquired in 6 months time. At the last meet I had my iMod/Hornet, Docs and SR225s and that was about it. I'm afraid what the next 6 months have in store for me.
blink.gif

Yeah, the K340s were pretty darn nice. Kind of hard to believe they're a closed can. But I've got to get me a pair of RS-1s first!
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #66 of 264
I had a great time at the meet. My set up was in "Renegade Room C". Not more than lunch going on in there but everyone who came in was more than polite and great to speak to.

Steve that was my DAC1 you were trying out so thanks are not in order as you repaid me in kind. I can't get the unit you gave me to work but I will try a little harder to test this one out before I donate it and watch how Nate fixes it before I even leave the room.
tongue.gif

I was a set up virgin on this one, as I went to last year's Nat'l Meet but didn't have anything to show. Everyone was way cool. Thanks to Masterchief for seeking me out and letting me know he brought his Ultrasone's, I appreciated that. I could not believe how tiny the Tomahawk was in person. I've seen pictures but they can't possibly show how small it is. I was partial to the Hornet with my SR225s though and plan on getting one of those in the near future. There were a couple of folks whom I believe I may have turned onto Grado's and a couple of guys who seemed pretty happy to see my copy of the Akira Soundtrack, enjoy.

Got to play a little PS2 with a young boy who kept informing me on how much of my behind he was going to kick, which made me laugh and was a lot of fun. Didn't get a chance to play Guitar Hero (thank god as for some reason I can play real guitar but not that game).

Won myself a cotton dock and an amp by Thrice which leads me to apologize dude for outbidding you on the cotton dock no hard feelings right?

Thanks again to everyone who put this meet together and thanks to everyone there for being so hospitable.

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #68 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dan of Steel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was partial to the Hornet with my SR225s though and plan on getting one of those in the near future. There were a couple of folks whom I believe I may have turned onto Grado's and a couple of guys who seemed pretty happy to see my copy of the Akira Soundtrack, enjoy.

I was the one who borrowed your Akira soundtrack. Thanks again. Loved your woodied SR225s. I meant to make it back with my SR225/Liberator set to compare. And yes, they match up quite nicely with the Hornet. I don't listen to it often but my iMod/Hornet combo feeding my SR225s is tasty.

I liked your compact set-up. First time I got to hear a DAC1. That soundtrack sounded really nice with your Grados plugged in!
cool.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #70 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Amazing — no one is posting live from the meet! NO WIFI? NO LAPTOP?

Upstateguy had the whole meet on webcam, but Wifi wasn't working in this room. The way he had it set up was more like Candid Camera. You'd be sitting there listening and he'd reach over and click on the computer and there you were. Sneaky.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkangel9685
On another note, i seem to have forgotten my bookbag there!

We did find a bookbag, but I don't know who has it. All I remember is inside was a half-sized pencil, like the ones you get at miniature golf.

Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx
First off, unlike the meet in November, there were only 5 portable amps of my knowledge at this meet.

This is what happens without our portables guru to set up a huge stack of portables, like the one at the Frosty Manhatttan Mini Meet & Guitar Hero II Throwdown.

There were a few other portable amps. I brought a HeadRoom MicroAmp, HeadLine (dac+amp), and 2005 Portaphile. There was a Larocco in the back and something in a mint tin in front.

Nankai had an amp the size of a credit card and about 1/4" thick. I wanted to listen, but got involved in other things and never made it back. If anyone has pictures or impressions, please post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastercheif
Highlight of the night: Ray Samuals winning Yuin PK-1s from the free card raffle.

Congratulations, Ray. Now someone needs to get creative and outdo the Dancing Ray from when he didn't win.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
request for future meets: QUIET room!!!

We should think about this for the next meet. We could try to find a place with a bunch of little soundproof booths. But every setup would need its own quiet room. There's just too many people for the main room to be quiet.

One solution is to have more mini meets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
This meet was setup for the usual 35-45 members. But when the sign-up got up into the '70's...

The truth is, everyone wanted to be together in the main room. We might have been able to spread out a little more with a larger room, or been more willing to move to the second room if both rooms were right next to each other, but you makes your plans and lives with the consequences. Back in January, noone was expecting 80 people. As it turned out, with just a little bit of compromising, there was enough space for us all, so we ended up not really needing the second room.

When the number of people expected started getting large, we got nervous and started to talk about how to fit everyone in. We were talking about setting up in shifts, asking people to wait outside, and had visions of people bringing gear and not being able to set up at all. Noone wanted that. immtbiker solved the problem by renting the other room. This was kind of a last minute thing to avoid a worse scenario. The idea was, if the room got too crowded, we had the option to set up in the other room. We didn't plan to have two separated rooms, but we were lucky to be able to rent that second room as insurance in case we need it, and we really thought we would need it. It worked out this time, partly because people purposely left some of their gear at home knowing we had a space issue. There was a lot of back and forth about who was bringing what, so we could leave the duplicates at home to save space at the meet. Maybe this was only obvious to me because I was keeping track of the gear list. The thing to keep in mind is that next time there might really be people standing outside with boxes of gear begging others to break down and give them space.

For the next meet we can rent a space to handle 120 people, but how do we cover the cost of the space if only 40 show up?

If you can think of a better way to handle this, speak up. I think immtbiker did the right thing given the situation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301
funniest part of the meet, when there was 5 minutes left on the silent auction so everybody crowded around the auction table so they can try to snipe the GLite for $150 (it ended up going for $260 to vcoheda, who is an awesome guy btw)

I didn't notice this meet being particularly noisy. The meet in Salon C last year was much louder. I didn't even hear all the commotion when the silent auction was ending. Too busy listening. Ah! The beauty of IEMs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy
a slightly out of focus SiBurning (from my out of focus sequence)

That's not out of focus. I look like that in real life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dan of Steel
I can't get the unit you gave me to work but I will try a little harder to test this one out before I donate it and watch how Nate fixes it before I even leave the room.

Did you grab the remote? Sorry if the player doesn't work. I tested it for two days after taking it home from the summer meet, but haven't used it since. If it doesn't work, I'll get one of the other players to you somehow. Unfortunately, the others don't do SACD.

I can't believe the official t-shirt fetched $35 at auction. Glad I held onto the second one. I ended up with the headphone stand from the auction, and sort of traded the tshirt for it as a consolation offering. (Who was that? Too many people, too much rum, too late in the day, too tired. Didn't wake up today until 3pm.)

Thanks for dinner, Ray.

Thanks immtbiker for doing the hard work to make this meet happen. And thanks for your quick thinking getting that second room. The meet may have worked out okay in one room, but had just a few more people (maybe just the last minute cancellations) showed up with gear, we'd all be thanking you for saving the meet from being very unpleasant.

Thanks immtbiker and Telica for taxiing me around.

Lowlights of the day: All the last minute cancellations. Missing Nankai's credit card amp. Pushing immtbiker's suv. Having to sit at the children's table for dinner. Having to take home 80% of the rum.

Highlights: Dimitris' Cary through 88Sound's eletrostatic. The Dan of Steel's Benchmark DAC-1 in Salon C. Korean for lunch. Getting to take home 80% of the rum.

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #71 of 264
Here comes a long post, prepare yourselves!

This meet was my third and certainly the most enjoyable one I've ever been to. The national meet last year was awesome, but I didn't get to hear the GS-1000's and other headphones I was interested in as much at that meet since there was such an overwhelming amount of equipment.

First, the impressions, then the pictures, which I have an even 39 (oh wait...) of. 56k'ers watch the heck out!!

All right, well, number one, Jahn:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"RUNNER-UP FOR SURPRISE OF THE MEET."
Picture_0201.jpg

No I don't know what any of this stuff is. Is that the MisterX amp? The HF-1 had flat pads, the music library was on a wireless external HD i think, and the soundcard was called Ergo or something? How he had the idea to put all this together I have no idea, but i better start hanging out at the Computer-as-Source forums more often - I could totally listen to this rig and be Done - I'm serious! Serious PRaT and Bass, but never broke up, great separation of note, not shouty in the highs, very very impressed.

That is my rig. I have a T60 laptop with a 200 GB Maxtor USB 2.0 hard drive on which I store all of my music. I only wish the hard drive was wireless. The source is the Echo Indigo, which, while certainly not quite as good as my EMU 0404 here at home, is a very decent and very worthwhile upgrade over onboard sound. I purchased it for $55 shipped here! The amp was custom built for me by tpg on the Klipsch forums (his screen name here is ktpg) and he's built a lot of headphone amps since he's an Electrical Engineering major I believe, but for this one he told me he based it on the Meta42 design and made a few mods/improvements. Bottom line, though, it's an exciting (moreso than Ray's Hornet on some tracks, though I hate to say it), slightly bright amp, which synergizes well with my system and my HF-1's with flat pads (the HF-1's with flat pads impressed a lot of people... I'm hoping the trend will catch on because they are better balanced imho with the flats). Anyway, tpg only charged me for parts, so the amp was $60. Bottom line, that whole system minus the laptop is a grand total of $315 and I'd challenge anyone to find a system that sounds that good in that price range!

Anyway, this is a meet, there's bigger fish to fry here!!

The DT880's once again impressed the hell out of me. They almost sound like a hybrid between the HD650's and the Grado sound. They have that great, open soundstage with resonance and deep bass and extended highs which really sound great with my organ music, and then they can also sound great with some material such as Led Zeppelin, although to be honest, they're no Grado when it comes to rock. Still, this is a formidable phone and I'm glad I got to listen to them again.

nikongod's HP-2's were absolutely my favorite phone at the meet. The sound was completely unlike any John Grado in existence and, to my ears, basically perfection! The soundstage is much bigger than John Grado phones and they're also much warmer. The bass goes deep but isn't as overpowering as the PS-1's. The midrange warmth is amazing and overall, they just have such a full sound that is amazes me. No frequency range or aspect of the phone seems like it could be improved upon! These are truly a pair of headphones that has to be heard, and now that I've heard them, I'll probably never get that sound out of my head again. haha.

nikingod's SR-200's were also great. I remember hearing them at the national meet last year under a different owner, but they're still a great headphone. They have a real unique sound and like the HP-2's, sound a lot warmer and fuller than most John Grado phones. Their only flaw was probably the lack of high-end resolution that so many John Grado phones have. The highs just sounded a little garbled with cymbals, for example. Otherwise, though, they compare to many much more expensive phones.

Yuin showed up once again and impressed everyone with their PK1 and PK2 earbuds. I've never heard an earbud in my life that has sounded that good, and probably will never again. They truly are a formidable, reference-sound phone, and scarily, also a plastic earbud!!

I got to try a lot more electrostats at this meet and the Omega II's hooked up to the Gilmore reference took the cake in my honest opinion. I didn't get to hear them hooked up to the Singlepower ES1, but they were still amazing on the Gilmore Electrostat. They had exceptional, unbelievable resolution and outstanding bass without getting that kind of muffled upper-bass lower-mid sound I disliked in the Lambdas. They couldn't quite rock like the higher-end Grados, of course, but with Jazz, they had that hyper-detail that was important without any of the harshness that would accompany it in a dynamic headphone.

Unfortunately, the most underwhelming phone of the meet was easily the HE90 plugged into the ES1. Everyone raves about this combination, but it left me wanting a lot. The sound is just completely flat, in fact, it almost feels recessed in the bass. The bass is actually the main problem. The resolution was, of course, the best of anything that was there, but the bass was simply missing from the equation, and as a result, most of my music was left sounding pretty boring.

But anyway, on to the best stuff of the meet:

I am totally convinced at this point that Ray Samuels's amps are the best at this point. Not even joking. His balanced PS-1's through his B52 amp and Meridian CD player was easily one of the best setups at the meet, if not THE best. The PS-1's have incredible bass, almost too much at some points, and as I listened to them more, I was convinced more and more of what Ray remarked to me, that the PS-1's truly are John Grado's masterpiece headphone. They sounded equally phenomenal out of the Raptor, which I am now convinced is in my future at some point. At any rate, the balanced GS-1000's were a underwhelming from the Gilmore Reference amp. The highs were just too harsh to bear, not something I had heard at the national meet last year, and the bass was really boomy. In addition, the mids just sounded sucked out. Hooking it up to Ray's B52 COMPLETELY changed the headphone. I am not even kidding. The highs were bearable, the bass was deep, the soundstage was huge, and everything just sounded incredible. I later tried them on the Singlepower amp and the highs returned to how they sounded on the Gilmore, I'm convinced you pretty much need Ray's B52 to do them justice, it was an incredible amp.

Now, the SHOCK OF THE MEET was the original GS-1000 prototype headphones Bosebuttons brought with him (which read simply "Grado Reference Headphones"). THIS is the sound we all heard at the national meet, and this is the reason why people ordered the GS-1000 and posted impressions we who had been at the national meet could not believe. The prototypes are significantly different from the production model. The production model has boomy bass, over-strident highs, and sucked out mids which are not present on the pre-production model. The prototype sounded so much better than the production model, it scared me. It still had the production model's characteristics of the big soundstage, accentuated highs and bass, etc, but it refined them so much more. I don't know what to say on this matter, but we had a conversation about it and Mikhail, owner of Singlepower (who is a really nice guy in person just like Ray), knows John Grado, and basically we came to the conclusion that sadly, there's nothing that can be done about this situation, and those who got the pre-production models should just consider themselves pretty lucky! In the meantime I would still recommend the GS-1000, but I have to say, I do not like them as much as the PS-1's or the RS-1's as of right now, though I'll have to make an extended comparison and conclusions at the next meet I go to. They are quite an amazing headphone, though, regardless of their flaws. Completely unlike any Grado (or headphone for that matter) that I've heard before.

We had some great moments at the meet. Jahn brought in guitar hero and another member brought a huge Dell monitor and the result, when combined with headphones, was the best guitar hero session ever. Jahn posted a picture, in fact, of me playing. I'm terrible, only played a few times at most, but compared to eh.... some members? I think I have some kind of edge being a college student and a musician. Regardless, a good time was had by all.

DEFINITELY the best moment of the meet was Ray Samuels pulling the Ace and winning the PK1's. Had to be there, he told me and everyone else he had never won anything in his life before and, in fact, after he had won and gotten over the surprise, said the quote of the day, "What did I win?" and then gave away the PK1's to one of the nice ladies there. HILARIOUS moment, it was an absolute pleasure to have Ray there at the meet.

But anyway, IT'S TIME FOR PICTURES!! (captions are below some images)

DSC_1570.jpg

We arrive and unpack...

DSC_1566.jpg

DSC_1573.jpg

Ray, in a rare moment of weakness... with glasses on!

DSC_1575.jpg

DSC_1577.jpg

Fine-tuning...

DSC_1582.jpg

My rig took about 5 minutes to set up.
smily_headphones1.gif

DSC_1585.jpg

Loads of boxes!

DSC_1586.jpg

DSC_1587.jpg

DSC_1589.jpg

Ray's table, where I spent most of my time. Here I am holding the R10's. I wish I had been able to spend more time with them.

DSC_1592.jpg

DSC_1599.jpg

Yes, there are female Head-Fi'ers!

DSC_1600.jpg

Singlepower's table.

DSC_1601.jpg

Jahn's idea to bring guitar hero was AMAZING.

DSC_1602.jpg

DSC_1603.jpg

Great picture of Ray and the tea conniseur, Grbwitt.

DSC_1605.jpg

Yuin's setup.

DSC_1607.jpg

DSC_1608.jpg

Asr diggin' the PS-1's.

DSC_1609.jpg

DSC_1610.jpg

DSC_1612.jpg

DSC_1615.jpg

88sound brought some great stuff, including the Gilmore Reference amps. He had quite a setup!

DSC_1616.jpg

DSC_1617.jpg

The man himself! Special thanks again to Aaron for kicking ass in putting together this meet.

DSC_1620.jpg

Bidding!

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #72 of 264
DSC_1622.jpg

DSC_1624.jpg

DSC_1631.jpg

DSC_1633.jpg

A pair of happy Head-Fi'ers.

DSC_1635.jpg

Didn't get to listen to this. D'oh!

DSC_1637.jpg

This either, unfortunately. These looked awesome in person, too.

DSC_1640.jpg

Singlepower's sexy amps.

DSC_1642.jpg

More singlepower.

DSC_1648.jpg

The ES1.

DSC_1657.jpg

Electrostats galore.

DSC_1659.jpg

And the picture of the meet winner goes to....

DSC_1628.jpg

Yes, I do believe we've hit the sweet spot!!!

DSC_1594.jpg

Thanks for looking! Yours truly.

Mar 4, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #74 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurning /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All day long I kept turning around thinking Tyll showed up after all.
standard.jpg

Haha.
Just one of my many hawaiian shirts.

Should have pics posted by the end of the night (assuming I can finish my school work).

Mar 4, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #75 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nate

WHHAAA??? Man, happy birthday! I know we had a birthday thread running for you before the meet, but i didn't know the actual date was the day of the meet! I woulda bought you a Dr. Pepper from the Burger King at least!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back