NYC Bi-Annual Meet Impressions, March 3, 2007
Mar 4, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #31 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
request for future meets: QUIET room!!!

We had one. Noone bothered to use it. Except for lunch, a DIYer, and a couple of renegades.

Speaking of renegades, thanks whoever brought the benchmark dac 1 to renegade Salon C. This was the one thing I planned on listening to. I'm looking for a source, and been meaning to listen to this. Now I understand what all the love-hate is about. Despite its flaws (I don't quite get the comments about it being harsh, but I do understand why some say it sucks the life out of the music), it's the first time I heard a recorded string quartet that sounded like 5 distinct people playing, as opposed to the tones melding together. And for the wiseguys, the fifth person isn't some fourth order harmonic generated by cross talk from cheap coupling capacitors muddying the sound when they should've been black gates: it's the accompanying harpsichordist.

Dimitris also had a very nice source: Cary CDP-1. This is much more musical and natural sounding, without much loss of detail. It was set up with an elecstrostatic system. Listening to Keep on Growing by Derek and the Dominos, the music made a lot more sense on this system. I could understand how the different distorted sounds of guitars worked together in a way that gave the impression it had to be distorted precisely that way. It gave me a small chill to listen to music I've heard hundreds of times before, but never understood so clearly. It's the same kind of separation of the instruments that came out of the benchmark, although the Cary seems willing to omit the last nuances in favor of the buzz and excitement. The Benchmark seems to be all out no compromise on detail to the point where I felt I could look over and read the faces and hear the internal mental muttering of the musicians as they played. In its own way, the Benchmark was as intimate an experience as I've ever had with the musicians without actually being there. While the Cary makes the music sound coherent, the benchmark is like listening through a magnifying glass. Forest vs. Trees.

Near the end of the meet I checked in with bozebuttons to see what amazing stuff he brought. With bozebuttons in his "it's a proven fact, it's the transport, stupid" mode, I decided to test his theory out scientifically by changing one variable on his system, with its dedicate transport, a $2000 set of interconnects, and a huge tube amp that cost more than my car, all plugged into my trusty Etymotics. So I popped in a $55 Zhaolu Dac-in-the-box. As Artie Johnson of Laugh-In would say, "very interesting, but stupid".

Mar 4, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #32 of 264
"Anyone else noticed a relatively large jump in volume with the HR balanced desktop around the 7 or 8 o'clock position? It went from a bit on the quiet side to what I consider kind of loud. I would expect about 2 notches in between the 2 levels."

Yea, I noticed that to, I was using them with balenced 701s and they were pretty anoying on high gain cuz it was too loud. But when I changed to medium gain and put it on ~13-14, it was better.

Mar 4, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #33 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Jahn who's phone number is it that people will be calling
evil_smiley.gif

Alex, of course.
evil_smiley.gif
Oh and was Scrypt there? I know he had plans to drop by! In fact, I didn't get to chat with 50 percent of the folks there, sorry about that! Although I did chat briefly with a young lady who decided that Nikongod's HP1000s were the best cans at the meet - I didn't have the heart to tell her where those cans were placed in one of his notorious photo shoots...
eek.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #35 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol u talked to me Jahn, and arent the best at GHII, esp left handed?
eggosmile.gif

Ah yes the left handed action!
rs1smile.gif
GHII, the great equalizer!

Mar 4, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #36 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by grbwitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

grbwitt
in RL:
George Witterschein
27 Aberdeen Drive
Mendham, NJ 07945
973-543-6386
grbwitt@patmedia.net

why dont you also post your social security number, credit card number, mother's maiden name... 1st born's name, uncle's name, his address, your third cousin's name and info...
rolleyes.gif

The meet was a lot of fun.. didnt really listen to anything (do i ever? lol)
met a lot of new cool people and got to see old friends.
Aaron, I hope you learned the lesson of renting 2 rooms across the street from each other....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #37 of 264
I didn't take many pictures, but I got a few in here and there. There were so many I wanted to take, but when I wanted to, people were listening and I didn't want to bother them. Later on, I just forgot, lol. So here goes.

Don't expect any vinyls better than this at a NY meet.
w78235782.jpg

I've always wanted to know what Asr looked like. What would such a generous person look like?
w78235753.jpg

And here's his stash that he brought along with him. I didn't get a chance to hear any of it, which I really wanted to hear his AT AD2000 and his Gilmore Lite with DPS.
w78235757.jpg

When I brought my LCD and Jahn told me he didn't have a 2nd Axe, he also told me this game wouldn't be played. A few minutes later, a 2nd Axe came out of nowhere and the fun began.
w78235762.jpg

Ray's amps are all works of art. I loved the Raptor the first time I saw it, and then the B52 when he posted pictures of it here. The pictures look great, but its got nothing on seeing it in person. Simply beautiful, both visually and soincally.
w78235823.jpg

I started walking around asking people to pick up their favorite headphone they own so I can get a picture of who they are and what they liked, so here goes.

I present to you a WORK SAFE picture of Nikongod.
w78235779.jpg

Yea... I got sidetracked by going out to lunch, and when I came back, I totally forgot about my little project of getting as many people as I could with their favorite cans.

What's a NY meet without drawing cards for a prize? Here's Mr. Slacker hoping to win either PK1's, PK2's, or VR-02's (?).
w78235775.jpg

Better luck next time.
w78235777.jpg

Another rig I wanted to try, but by the time people stopped listening to it, my ears were toast. Maybe at the next NY meet near the end of this year I'll get to try all of the stuff I neglected this round.
w78235817.jpg

Hydrocity with the new love of his life.
w78235763.jpg

ComputerPro3's Melos SHA-Gold stack. Hopefully, he'll finish his little project of making them balanced by the next meet. It's going to be a pleasure listening to this setup.
w78235770.jpg

I set a few goals that I wanted to accomplish today besides trying portable amps out. One was to hopefully try the HE90 Orpheus if they were available. The second was to try a tube amp. Why not sacrifice two birds with one stone?
w78235820.jpg

And this is me enjoying the above setup.
w78235759.jpg

With pictures out of the way, I have some things to say about what I heard today.

Nate's Beta22. For some odd reason, I felt there was a cross-feed circuit built into it. I asked Nate and he assured me that there wasn't, so I just continued listening for a bit. The amount of bass it added to my K701's were amazing. It was tight, controlled, and deeper than I've ever heard (though I haven't heard much
rolleyes.gif
). I know some people find the K701's a bit bright, but I don't hear that at all. It brought the highs to another level and just improved upon what I thought was an already awesome headphone.

With Headroom's K701 recabled with their Fat Pipe balanced to single ended with an adaptor, it added another level of clarity to the K701's. Instrument separation improved, but everything was subtle. I was surprised I was able to hear the difference, but I guess that's what Head-fi does to you.
wink.gif

The Headroom Max Balanced was fun too. With that, I was able to use their K701's the way they were meant to be. It was my first time listening to a balanced setup, so it was a delight. It did exactly what the Beta22 did, but without that cross-feed I heard. Bass wasn't as present as the Beta22 and the highs were clearer and more realistic to me. The soundstage felt more real as well. (I used it on medium gain without cross-feed off).

Sony R10's are out of this world out of Ray's Raptor. I never expected them to be so comfortable since they're huge. They're much lighter than I thought, and sounded amazing. I didn't spend much time with it, but the short time I listened to it was enough for me to know why people are willing to spend that amount of money on it.

K1000s. I don't know what people are saying when they say they have no bass. They have plenty of bass, for me that is.
k1000smile.gif
I thought they were fantastic while I was playing with the driving angling. Again, I didn't spend much time with it as Hydrocity hogged them most of the time.
mad.gif

The biggest disappointment for me was the HE90 and ES1. Like I said above, I popped 3 cherry's at once, electrostatic, tube, and HE90 (though HE90 is an electrostatic, it was just something i categorized on it's own). I don't think it was a good idea listening to this setup as a first for so many since now it'll be my reference.
orphsmile.gif
First, I'd like to say they are the most detailed headphone I've ever heard. I used a CD I listen to at least once a day at a minum, upwards of 3 to 5 times. It took a matter of 15 seconds into my favorite track to notice cymbal clashes that I've never heard before. Not only did I hear it for the first time, the imaging and soundstage was surreal. My jaw dropped with just 30 seconds into the track. Then I realized something didn't sound right. I just couldn't pinpoint it, but my conclusion was that it's just that good and I hit the point where the recording of the CD just isn't up to par with the HE90, ES1, and Meridian CDP. It's TOO revealing as I find most asian music aren't recorded in the best manner, so this system will destroy 80% of what I listen to.

I listened to a bit more, but I think this is enough for tonight. It was a wonderful experience and I'm glad to have found Head-fi when I did. Never have I felt so safe leaving my gear in a room of people I've never met or met once to eat lunch and not returning for over an hour while everything I own was safely where I left it. Leaving an mp3 player with E500's anywhere else in NY for even 10 minutes would be a disaster, but not at a Head-fi meet. I couldn't ask for a better community to share a hobby with.

Towert7, yea man, when I got back from lunch and settled in the room again, I turned to look and you and your gear was gone! There's always next time.

Also, I want to thank Asr for the mini->mini interconnect he graciously gave me at the end of the meet. He is seriously the most generous person I've ever met.

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #40 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Picture_0064.jpg

Gilmore Blue Hawaii with the Omega II to a Cary CDP. Kick ass. Didn't get to hear the Gilmore Reference, but I'm guessing "kick ass" applied here too. One of the best rigs for the Omega II I've heard, actually, just majestic.

Awesome! Who there owns the duo of awesome Headamps? Almost makes me want an e-stat rig
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #42 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aaron, I hope you learned the lesson of renting 2 rooms across the street from each other....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Since this is the second comment about this, I assume that people did not follow the thread from the beginning, and will respond.
This meet was setup for the usual 35-45 members. But when the sign-up got up into the '70's, luckily the manager called me a short time ago and told me he had a cancellation, and could give me the second room at half price.
So I grabbed it. I announced that we had the room 4 times, but nobody (except for a few wise men) budged. I tried. It's a shame because that room would have been really nice for the shootouts and the high-end gear (with round banquet tables).

Getting space in NYC is tough and this place goes way out of their way to accomodate us...even the annex main room we were in, was discounted $100.

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #43 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PLEASE show some pics of the HE-90 clone . PLEASE ...PRETTY PLEASE
biggrin.gif

come on guys... dont insult the all hand made headphones made in China that look NOTHING like HE90 because HE90 doesnt have a cloth headband thing...

they are CLEARLY 2 different headphones that were never meant to look alike....

i was gonna take a pic, but i was afraid of scaring my camera
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #44 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since this is the second comment about this, I assume that people did not follow the thread from the beginning, and will respond.
This meet was setup for the usual 35-45 members. But when the sign-up got up into the '70's, luckily the manager called me a short time ago and told me he had a cancellation, and could give me the second room at half price.
So I grabbed it. I announced that we had the room 4 times, but nobody (except for a few wise men) budged. I tried. It's a shame because that room would have been really nice for the shootouts and the high-end gear (with round banquet tables).

Getting space in NYC is tough and this place goes way out of their way to accomodate us...even the annex main room we were in, was discounted $100.

i know what happened man... all i am saying is that it is hard to have 2 rooms so far apart from each other and have people use both of them...

we covered the cost of everything, right? if so, then its all good

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #45 of 264
i swear it was all subconscious that i didn't get a shot of the HE90 clone! i mean, i did get a shot of its cable and its plug when it was in the ES-1, right?
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back