NY Area Fall Meet, Nov 14, 2009, Harrison NY - It's Official!
Nov 10, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #376 of 457
I'm a definite for dinner. If the wife attends, she'll be there too.

Nov 10, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #377 of 457
Definitely in for dinner. Also, like Nate, I too have a new dynamic amp, with some of those fancy "tube" things in it.
spudrig.jpg

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #380 of 457
It better be solid, the new fiber choice tablets I'm eating aren't cheap.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #382 of 457
i'm a 'maybe' for the diner, and my wife's a 'maybe maybe'.

Nov 11, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #383 of 457
Gear update:

I received the demo Einar Sound VC-01i balanced headphone amp yesterday. I listened for a while last night and found it to be a very capable amp. I'm looking forward to trying this in balanced mode on Saturday.

I will not be bringing a computer as a transport. So far, I haven't been that impressed with the USB implementation of the PS Audio DLIII. It's nice to have the convenience of playing music from the computer but the sound quality is not as good as from my CD transport. I don't think it's worth bringing a computer to the meet.

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #384 of 457
I wont know till last minute prolly, but i hope to be there.
If so, ill bring my millet and some phones, cd player, CDs and whatnot.

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #385 of 457
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I will not be bringing a computer as a transport. So far, I haven't been that impressed with the USB implementation of the PS Audio DLIII. It's nice to have the convenience of playing music from the computer but the sound quality is not as good as from my CD transport. I don't think it's worth bringing a computer to the meet.

USB Sucks! but that doesn't mean that a computer can't be a Great transport. Just buy a Pro sound card with a Transformer coupled SPDIF OR AES/EBU output, and then take the time to properly configure the software/system.

Sorry, if you are referring to a laptop then you are correct.

I won't be bringing my dedicated Exemplar Music Server. It's entirely too much effort, and under meet conditions it's difficult to tell the difference.

Nov 11, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #386 of 457
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
USB Sucks! but that doesn't mean that a computer can't be a Great transport. Just buy a Pro sound card with a Transformer coupled SPDIF OR AES/EBU output, and then take the time to properly configure the software/system.

Sorry, if you are referring to a laptop then you are correct.

I won't be bringing my dedicated Exemplar Music Server. It's entirely too much effort, and under meet conditions it's difficult to tell the difference.

I have my desktop feeding my source now. It's fine for listening to music while I work, and not having to stop to change CDs, but the sound is noticeably inferior. I may look into upgrading at some point but I'm more than happy to use CD for dedicated listening and computer when I want background music.

I was thinking of bringing a laptop but because of the superior sound from the CD transport I'm going to leave it at home.

Nov 11, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #387 of 457
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have my desktop feeding my source now. It's fine for listening to music while I work, and not having to stop to change CDs, but the sound is noticeably inferior. I may look into upgrading at some point but I'm more than happy to use CD for dedicated listening and computer when I want background music.

I was thinking of bringing a laptop but because of the superior sound from the CD transport I'm going to leave it at home.

Just to be sure, you are basically saying your CD player has a better dac than your dedicated dac?

Or:
Do you feed the dedicated dac with both the computer and CD player, and say the CD player configuration sounds better?

Nov 12, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #388 of 457
gear list updated.

Did someone say they were bringing stick on name tags?
If you have a name tag from a previous meet, may as well pack it.
I have about 9 Head-Fi name tags from previous meets.
I'll just bring one of those.
If someone wants to be me or Jahn, I have extras.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldkeith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gear update
Wadia iTransport>assemblage 2.6 dac>stax srm 1>koss esp 950

Not sure if this replaces the other stuff or adds to it, so I just added it.

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #390 of 457
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to be sure, you are basically saying your CD player has a better dac than your dedicated dac?

Or:
Do you feed the dedicated dac with both the computer and CD player, and say the CD player configuration sounds better?

The second one.

I have the CD player, which is my CD transport, and my computer both hooked up to the DAC. The computer is using a USB connection, which does not sound as good as the optical connection from the CD player. The DAC also accepts coaxial in but I haven't gotten around to buying a digital cable and I included my last one with the DAC I sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back