NuFroce uDAC2 vs. Fiio E10
Apr 4, 2012 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

romanman

New Head-Fier
I'm kind of new to the whole studio/reference headphone game.  I've got a pair of AKG Q701 headphones on their way, and I'm trying to figure out the most affordable way to drive them.  I've heard that a Fiio 10 is an effective, cheap way to power them, but I also the NuForce uDAC2 is supposed to be pretty good.  I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.  Thanks for any advice or help, i'm trying to keep my cost below $200 at the most for the amp.

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 9
Did you ever get any feedback on this?
I'm in the exact same situation. I feel like the NuForce is the better device and would probably do a better job connecting my PC to my home stereo when it's not at the office running off my MacBook. 
But is it $40 better?
Just curious what you ended up doing or if you got any more info. 

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #3 of 9
The E10 is actually better in terms of sound quality, but some people reported build quality related issues. Nevertheless, I would choose it over the uDAC2. Alternatively, the E17 is not much more expensive than the uDAC2, and is better than either of the above and has more features as well.

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 9
I have tried both - and I prefer the sound of UDAC2 better for headphone listening. When I connect them to powered speakers (M-Audio AV40), though - it's a  a disaster.  I have the AKG K702s, and I enjoy the sound of UDAC2 with them. They don't add any color to the sound,  but makes the bass punchier and the vocals clearer. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 9
Good thing I found this thread. I have both Aiaiai TMA-1s and Monster Turbines (I know not the most balanced). I was looking into either the Fiio E10 or  uDAC-2. (I personally don't like the aesthetic of the E17). Just a few questions, is the uDAC really worth the extra money or would the E10 still provide a noticeable difference? In addition, do either of these slide around your desk when plugged in or are they heavy enough to stay in place? Thanks!

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
I'm kind of new to the whole studio/reference headphone game.  I've got a pair of AKG Q701 headphones on their way, and I'm trying to figure out the most affordable way to drive them.  I've heard that a Fiio 10 is an effective, cheap way to power them, but I also the NuForce uDAC2 is supposed to be pretty good.  I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.  Thanks for any advice or help, i'm trying to keep my cost below $200 at the most for the amp.

This post was quite a while ago, so I'm hoping that the OP has found something by now.

I'm here to warn anyone with this exact headphone: the Q701 does not sound the best with the udac2! I just got my pair of 'phones in and the udac2 just isn't enough. A desktop amp is in my future...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back