Nuforce Primo 8 - an Audiophile Phase Coherent Quad Balanced Armature Driver IEM - Impressions
Nov 29, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #346 of 454
last week, Lazada SG had sale on them. 339 SGD which roughly equal to 250 USD.
If only I lived in SG. (>.<)

Dec 1, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #347 of 454
Hey there, i have recently brought the primo 8 and yes i own the er4s. I will chuck out a comparison tomorrow. But what i can say is, stick to the er4s if you love it like me.

P.S I live in Singapore

Dec 1, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #348 of 454
Interesting. I was hoping the primo' would be a solid step up from the er4's. While I don't hate the er4's, I def respect them, I just like a little deeper bigger low end. However my wallet would be happy if they weren't an appreciable "improvement". Anyway I'll be interested in your comparison. Thanks in advance.

Dec 1, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #349 of 454
Okay let me just state a few things that I'm sure of now since I'm in a math lecture and I falling asleep cos engineering. I'm just a teen messing around,can't seem to enjoy music anymore after this money sucking hobby got hold of me.

Background: Gr07, threw it into the rubbish bin along with a skullcandy 50/50 3 years ago
Threw away a vsd3s and soundmagic e10 too
Got the er4s, initially wasn't in love with it or anything but well I kinda just slowly got sucked in.
Got a tf10 and reshelled, wasn't to my liking sold it off dirt cheap to my friend who loved it.
Owned a fiio x3, soundmagic a10 and rsa predator amp till early this year and loved them till my new love the shozy alien and rsa mustang
I listen mainly to vocaloid and jpop for now

Alright time to list the obvious.
Comfort: Primo 8 is way more comfortable with klipsch medium tips 4.5/5 stock tips are a little harder? So a 4/5 still with the er4s at 3.5/5
I'm rather tolerant of discomfort please take note

Alright stock tips vs klipsch tips, stock tips made me want to throw it into the rubbish bin for being bassy and little treble, vocals sounded a little strange
Kilpsch tips however was less bassy but had more treble, vocals sounded better.

Soundstage: Well even though the primo 8 has rather similar soundstage in comparison to the tf10, I will say the primo 8 sounds more open? But well no matter, I believe you should find the soundstage more than acceptable coming from the er4s

Separation Yes, the primo 8 is able to separate the instrument and vocals apart rather well creating a sense of space which the er4s isn't that fantastic at.

And well like ohm image said, they are two rather different iem. Is it a real upgrade? Imo in the 3 weeks I have spent with it, I do feel myself falling in love with it. But still, at it's msrp? I think there are better choices out there, I did get it at 319 sgd after all.

Does it have more body?? Well, I don't dare to say but maybe only a tad more than my er4s. Details? I just hear them better on the er4s, might just be me being used to it.

The rest of the comparison will have to wait till tomorrow, I will be busy tonight typing out my research paper.
Anyways, comparison is with kilpsch tips, lost the stock.

Well... ****... i just changed my mind after changing tips again. It just sounds so good now idk man..... tmr i will have a headache writing a comparison

Dec 2, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #351 of 454
no trolling here but had very bad experience with Nuforce/Optoma. Bought it in september last year and went from disappointment to disappointment. The paint flaking, the cable gave up close to the earhook part, the customer service... non-existent/non helpful.
Hopefully for me, I bought it from amazon so was able to get a refund! At that time it did cost a lot more as well... so for 450 eur, it was a shame.

So if it works for you great! Enjoy! Peace

here's the reply I got:

"Dear XXXXX,

I am sorry to hear about your troubles with the Primo 8 earphones. I have thoroughly looked into the matter.

Unfortunately we have no means of warrantying the unit against cosmetic defects. Additionally, even if we could, we wouldn't be able to replace them until after march, which is when our next shipment arrives. We can though offer you a discount toward the purchase of something else. 

Best Regards,
Optoma Nuforce Support"

They didn't answer take it further for the replacement I requested.... I tried contacting one of their managers without much success!

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #353 of 454
If you are concerned about the paint coming off, please don't buy the Primo 8.

I was disappointed and got mine reshelled.

At least I am still satisfied with the sound quality after reshelling it.

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #354 of 454
If you are concerned about the paint coming off, please don't buy the Primo 8.

I was disappointed and got mine reshelled.

At least I am still satisfied with the sound quality after reshelling it.

Well I reshelled my tf10 before and let's just say it went so bad, i just sold it away instead. The universal sounded so much better. It was with null audio. I just don't believe through reshelling that original sound can be retained. It's not that simple.

I'm not a aesthetics person so welp doesn't affect me because I just got a new profound love for the primo 8 since it somehow managed to blow me away after i wrote the brief comparison.

If you ask me how much I'm enjoying it out of the sudden? I will say enough to justify a black widow toxic cable purchase.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #355 of 454
Okay let me just state a few things that I'm sure of now since I'm in a math lecture and I falling asleep cos engineering. I'm just a teen messing around,can't seem to enjoy music anymore after this money sucking hobby got hold of me.

Background: Gr07, threw it into the rubbish bin along with a skullcandy 50/50 3 years ago
Threw away a vsd3s and soundmagic e10 too
Got the er4s, initially wasn't in love with it or anything but well I kinda just slowly got sucked in.
Got a tf10 and reshelled, wasn't to my liking sold it off dirt cheap to my friend who loved it.
Owned a fiio x3, soundmagic a10 and rsa predator amp till early this year and loved them till my new love the shozy alien and rsa mustang
I listen mainly to vocaloid and jpop for now

Alright time to list the obvious.
Comfort: Primo 8 is way more comfortable with klipsch medium tips 4.5/5 stock tips are a little harder? So a 4/5 still with the er4s at 3.5/5
I'm rather tolerant of discomfort please take note

Alright stock tips vs klipsch tips, stock tips made me want to throw it into the rubbish bin for being bassy and little treble, vocals sounded a little strange
Kilpsch tips however was less bassy but had more treble, vocals sounded better.

Soundstage: Well even though the primo 8 has rather similar soundstage in comparison to the tf10, I will say the primo 8 sounds more open? But well no matter, I believe you should find the soundstage more than acceptable coming from the er4s

Separation Yes, the primo 8 is able to separate the instrument and vocals apart rather well creating a sense of space which the er4s isn't that fantastic at.

And well like ohm image said, they are two rather different iem. Is it a real upgrade? Imo in the 3 weeks I have spent with it, I do feel myself falling in love with it. But still, at it's msrp? I think there are better choices out there, I did get it at 319 sgd after all.

Does it have more body?? Well, I don't dare to say but maybe only a tad more than my er4s. Details? I just hear them better on the er4s, might just be me being used to it.

The rest of the comparison will have to wait till tomorrow, I will be busy tonight typing out my research paper.
Anyways, comparison is with kilpsch tips, lost the stock.

Well... ****... i just changed my mind after changing tips again. It just sounds so good now idk man..... tmr i will have a headache writing a comparison

have you try wide bore tips? (Westone star tips). It really improves the SQ alot compare to the stock tips.

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #356 of 454
Very sorry but i haven't and won't be planning so since it's rather expensive around here like 10% of what I brought the primo 8. But someone else have pointed out that it brings out the details.

I'm really really torn apart now, I might have to take back quite abit of what I typed just now, the details, it just suddenly appears after I change the tips, it's so clear, bass suddenly doesn't sound emphasized.
It's brain burn in that's really screwing me up. :confused_face:

I'm so very sorry to fail to deliver the comparison today as I'm definitely not in the peak condition to compare iems. Tomorrow guys I will pit it against the sony ex1000 as well as the sony A3(and of course my own er4s) thanks to the courtesy of my kind friends.

Well I will say er4s has more bass texture
Vocals are clear and forward on the primo 8
The presentation is really different between the two. Er4s is more of in the head to the edge of both ears while primo 8 just seems to have the vocal right on my forehead.
Details in the higher frequencies of course are better retrieved by the er4s however when it comes to the mids hahaha, let's just say the primo 8 gets it all right imo at least for the piano.
Primo 8 doesn't seem to be able to keep up in terms of speed when it comes to fast and hard bass while the er4s seems to do it with ease however of course the er4s will have a tad less punch. But well not a problem for me since I'm used to it and adding the mustang will probably save it.
I might be a litte mad but the er4s seems to does timbre better. I feel the drumstick touching the surface you know, it's kinda breathtaking.
Well of course there are things primo 8 does right, the sense of space around the instruments.
Do note that I am biased lol.
Well more tomorrow
Keep an eye out =D
(First time, senpai be gentle tq)
Almost forgot, well the primo 8 does really really well when it comes to imaging thus it will only perform much better on certain tracks.

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #357 of 454
These Primo 8s are starting to amaze me....and I have had dozens of mid tier IEMs starting from Etys, Noble Audios, Westones, Heir Audios, Dunus etc...

Bass is by no means lacking [Ety ER4s do not even come close in this area]

Vocals are astounding, probably their forte

I have only had them 2 days but will report back as I grow into them....

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #358 of 454
Hey Guido, you said you have tried Westones and Dunu!
Could you compare the Nuforce Primo 8 and the Dunus you have owned? (Is it by any chance the Dn-2000J?)

Thanks in advance, I'm looking for new IEM :)

Jan 10, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #359 of 454
Could you compare the Nuforce Primo 8 and the Dunus you have owned? (Is it by any chance the Dn-2000J?)

I have the Primo 8, W40, and DN-2000J.

In my opinion the Dunu's are the best, followed by the Primo 8, with the W40 in last. They are close though. It really depends on what sound signature you're looking for. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #360 of 454

I had the Dunu DN1000 ....the Primos are way more balanced, natural and not V-shaped in sound signature...really hard to compare them but for what I listen to [jazz, vocals, instrumentals, classical] the Primos are way better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back