Nuforce Primo 8 - an Audiophile Phase Coherent Quad Balanced Armature Driver IEM - Impressions
Jan 1, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #16 of 454
I'll be posting more impressions in the next couple of days, picking my impressions out of my volumes of feedback and comments that were sent to Nuforce while this was being developed. As Kenz said above, they're very surprising at how natural and transparent they sound.

I'll give away a little bit of my secrets right now before I post more detailed impressions - with what I remember off the top of my head. I was very surprised in finding that the Primo 8 can make my un-amped Westone 4 sound a little too laid-back and more veiled in direct comparison, similar to when comparing a more neutral and detailed HD 600 or HD 800 to the HD 650 which needs a more powerful amp to "wake up" and not sound dull. The RE-600 un-amped are even more laid back than W4, almost to the point of being dull in comparison. Things do improve when the W4 and RE-600 are amped.

Or, the comparison might be like comparing a HiFiMan HE-500 to an original LCD-2 rev1, where the LCD-2 rev1 is a bit more laid-back than HE-500 - the HE-500 and newer LCD-2 rev2 are just more vibrant, alive, and present with vocals and acoustic instruments (like Primo 8) than the HD650 or LCD-2 Rev1.

The Primo 8 sounds more alive than most universal fit IEM that I've tried. While the UM3X is closer, it's more forward sounding and less spacious sounding. I also find myself wanting more warmth from the UM3x with many amps or sources, but I don't find the Primo 8 lacking midrange warmth and fullness.

I get a similar vibe when comparing Primo 8 to an RE-600 that is not amplified. The RE-600 really need to be driven by the HM-901 balanced DAC/amp to shine and come close to the Primo-8. The W4 also wake up quite a bit with the HM-901, and sound very much like an amp'd RE-600 in that situation, but with the IPhone 5s or iPad Air headphone out the un-amped Primo 8 will excite me more.

A note on tips. I have been using Complys foam tips with the Primo 8, just like I do with Westone 3. I haven't tried other tips yet, but I do know the W3 frequency response can sound a lot more V-shaped with a vinyl tip, and more natural sounding with the Complys. I'll dig up some other tips for the Primo 8 to see how they handle that soon. Right now the Primo 8 and the Westone 3 complement each other perfectly when both are using the complies tips. I tend to prefer the W3 with older classic rock and the Primo 8 with jazz and acoustic, with a lot of overlap between the two with other genres.

Be back soon!

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #18 of 454
As far as sound quality is concern, Larry has the final version. What will change is the minor cosmetic of the earphones and cable (for example, ear hook improvement for hold it in place, logo etc)

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #20 of 454
As far as sound quality is concern, Larry has the final version. What will change is the minor cosmetic of the earphones and cable (for example, ear hook improvement for hold it in place, logo etc)

Does this mean the internal design is finalized and you're just working on aesthetics then?

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #21 of 454
I can't decide this or the Noble 3C

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #22 of 454
The Primo 8 I have here is the final sound. I've heard three other versions leading up to these, and there were others that came before I got involved, but I have not heard really early versions.

I'm sorry I haven't finished posting my review yet, but things have been crazy for the past few weeks, trying to prepare for my son's Eagle Scout Court of Honor and having both daughters home from college for 3 weeks over the holidays. I'm in the car on our way up to Boulder to drop my daughter off at college, and I'm listening to the Primo 8. I've been carrying them around with me for audiophile listening via iPad > CCK > Pico DAC/Slim, and also carry my v-moda vibratto with microphone for casual iPhone listening.

Now that the holidays are over I can focus more on posting here soon. What I can say until then is that I'm enjoying these right now, with little complaints.

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #23 of 454
This week we will be visiting the factory to review the pilot production units.  Pilot production means everything following mass production process. Usually a small quantity is produced to review the production process to ensure everything is done perfectly. Prior to that, the samples are "manually" made.  It is possible that sound quality gets slightly better for production.
For a high-end product like Primo 8, we have to be extra careful.  Even an accessory such as high quality genuine lamb skin carrying pouch (we took inspiration from an Italian wallet) took several months to design and prototyping. The leather was sourced from supplier of high fashion brands.

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #24 of 454
  This week we will be visiting the factory to review the pilot production units.  Pilot production means everything following mass production process. Usually a small quantity is produced to review the production process to ensure everything is done perfectly. Prior to that, the samples are "manually" made.  It is possible that sound quality gets slightly better for production.
For a high-end product like Primo 8, we have to be extra careful.  Even an accessory such as high quality genuine lamb skin carrying pouch (we took inspiration from an Italian wallet) took several months to design and prototyping. The leather was sourced from supplier of high fashion brands.

Exciting news :)  I love nice leather cases :wink:  Hopefully the case is portable as well though :)  I'm sure it will be. 

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #28 of 454
Subbed! This could probably be it... the one that I've been waiting for!
I'm seriously looking for a reference sounding universal IEM and now I'm considering this or the Noble 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back