Nuforce Icon Mobile question
Feb 15, 2010 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Chuke

100+ Head-Fier
I've done a great deal of searching and reading and can't find anyone who uses the Icon mobile in this configuration:

CD/SACD player > RCA-to-Mini adapter cable > Icon > HP

Has anyone (maybe HA) tried the Icon with an RCA to Mini cable?...basically just using a cd player as an analog source and the Icon mobile as a straight HP amp? Perhaps it's just no different than using an iPod or mp3 player as a source but I'm thinking about using my SACD player as a source and I'd hope to get much better SQ from that rather than my Sansa Fuze or laptop.

I just picked up a pair of ATH-AD700's and I'm thinking of getting an Icon Mobile.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Feb 16, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 3
The AD700 is a bass light headphone with alot of emphasis on treble. The Icon mobile is a brighter DAC/Amp, I think the combination would push the AD700 over the edge in regards to sparkle and make them sibilant. I would suggest looking at an amp that is warmer sounding, if you want a DAC in it as well then still look for one that is warmer sounding. You might want to wait for the Fiio E7 when it hits the market as that Amp/Dac will have 3 bass settings that might work well with the AD700. BTW while I do not currently own an AD700 (gave it to my mother for Christmas) I did own it and think it's a wonderfull headphone. I also think a nice Amp/Dac combo will make it sound even nicer, I just don't think the Icon Mobile is the right choice.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for your opinion. I see tubes in my future....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back