Nuforce Icon Mobile: Early impressions
Nov 23, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #106 of 130
Great thread. I purchased the Denon d2000's and the Nuforce based on the reviews.

Good stuff! Should be in tomorrow or Wed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #107 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by WithBadIntent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I certainly wouldn't mind that case.

To mis-quote the film Ronin "What is the case!".

+1...

Sorry if this is off topic, but I would love to know what that case is too.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #108 of 130
I have just received a replacement Icon Mobile and I am hearing a subtle yet noticeable static hissing sound when paired with NE-7M's when nothing is playing and weather the icon is disconnected from a source or connected via usb or line in, I don't recall hearing this distortion on the Icon is sent back so I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Note this is distinct from the high pitched squeal that is remedied by wiggling the usb connection.

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #109 of 130
I tried the test unit Icon Mobile at a local brick and mortar and was rather disappointed. The amp didn't seem to really improve the level of current, which is fine, but I was wondering if it had enough juice to power a higher impedance earphone?

Anyway when I was there I brought along my NuForce UF30, UE Super.Fi 3 and I also used the Grados that were in the shop to test the amp. But unfortunately I found that there was little change in the sound. It didn't seem to change the soundstage at all, and the differences in the sound were very minimal.... the mids sounded like they got cleaned up a bit and the bass was a little flatter. The highs seemed to get "chopped off" a bit and all I can say is I was very disappointed. I was expecting a big improvement, or at least a discernable change, in the sound.

All in all for $99 I thought the changes in the sound were nowhere near worth it, and I would have to carry an additional gadget around to boot.

This was my first foray into using portable headphone amps and left me with cold feet. At home I have tried amping the same source through a Pioneer receiver and I get great results. But this amp doesn't seem to do much, and just doesn't seem worth it.

What should I be looking for in a headphone amp? How exactly is it supposed to help? Or are my ears just not good enough to hear the difference (seems unlikely since I tried amping using a home receiver and could hear the difference). Or is this one of those things where you need to own it for a bit and really play around with it for a while to appreciate the difference?

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #110 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the test unit Icon Mobile at a local brick and mortar and was rather disappointed. The amp didn't seem to really improve the level of current, which is fine, but I was wondering if it had enough juice to power a higher impedance earphone?

Anyway when I was there I brought along my NuForce UF30, UE Super.Fi 3 and I also used the Grados that were in the shop to test the amp. But unfortunately I found that there was little change in the sound. It didn't seem to change the soundstage at all, and the differences in the sound were very minimal.... the mids sounded like they got cleaned up a bit and the bass was a little flatter. The highs seemed to get "chopped off" a bit and all I can say is I was very disappointed. I was expecting a big improvement, or at least a discernable change, in the sound.

All in all for $99 I thought the changes in the sound were nowhere near worth it, and I would have to carry an additional gadget around to boot.

This was my first foray into using portable headphone amps and left me with cold feet. At home I have tried amping the same source through a Pioneer receiver and I get great results. But this amp doesn't seem to do much, and just doesn't seem worth it.

What should I be looking for in a headphone amp? How exactly is it supposed to help? Or are my ears just not good enough to hear the difference (seems unlikely since I tried amping using a home receiver and could hear the difference). Or is this one of those things where you need to own it for a bit and really play around with it for a while to appreciate the difference?

For me the Icon Mobile works better as a DAC/amp with a laptop than with an iPod. I've posted in the forums that I find the Icon Mobile was more forward and aggressive when fed from an iPod. I have a big review that compares the Icon Mobile to many other amps that you might find helpful, but remember that most of the listening was through the USB, and not with the same headphones as you.

I still found the Icon Mobile to be in the middle of the pack with other amps in it's price range. In my case, I think the Meier Headsix/XXS and 3MOVE were very good with UF-30 and much better than Icon Mobile, but I did not like the Super.fi 5 Pro much with any amp including the Headsix, except the Predator did improve the sound enough to enjoy. Then again, I also liked the UF-30 with the Icon Mobile (oops).

UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...ess-up-338443/

Like I said, I thought the Icon Mobile mated well with the UF-30 to fill in the mids and bring the bass to a more equal level, but that was through the USB of my laptop. And 99% of my portable amp use is with a laptop, not iPod. The Icon Mobile was also good with Westone 3, Senn IE8, ATH-ESW10, ES3X, Denon D2000 and Ultrasone HFI-780. I thought it did a good job of controlling the D2000 bass and not making it sloppy or bloated. I also mentioned that it was somewhat underpowered for the 300 ohm HD600, and it was a almost too forward and aggressive with Grados, although useable. I have not owned a Super.fi 5 Pro at the same time as the Icon Mobile, so I could not try that combination.

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #111 of 130
Hmm I used an iPod as source when I tested it, that may be the problem. I noticed that the mids seemed more cleaned up and stronger, so as you said the Icon Mobile is forward and aggressive when fed from an iPod. Since I always look for a more laidback and warmer sound this probably isn't the map for me.

I guess I will hunt for another portable amp. My problem is that it is so hard to find a portable amp here where I live and the Icon Mobile is actually the only portable amp I've come across. Well I'll l hold off on getting an amp until I find a better model then.

What amp can you suggest to pair with an iPod (using a Nano 2G and an iPhone 3G) that would give me a warm, laidback sound?

Jan 22, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #112 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I used an iPod as source when I tested it, that may be the problem. I noticed that the mids seemed more cleaned up and stronger, so as you said the Icon Mobile is forward and aggressive when fed from an iPod. Since I always look for a more laidback and warmer sound this probably isn't the map for me.

I guess I will hunt for another portable amp. My problem is that it is so hard to find a portable amp here where I live and the Icon Mobile is actually the only portable amp I've come across. Well I'll l hold off on getting an amp until I find a better model then.

What amp can you suggest to pair with an iPod (using a Nano 2G and an iPhone 3G) that would give me a warm, laidback sound?

In your price range I would recommend the iBasso T3 or T4. The T3 has a little better clarity and transparency than the T4, which has slightly less highs than the T3. In my case I prefer the T3 as an overall better balanced sounding amp which is still warm sounding and relatively laid back.

I have a recent review of the T3 vs T4 with a variety of earphones, and a review I did of the Fiio E5 with RE2 earphones where I compared to the T4.

Mini-Review: iBasso T3 portable amp - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

REVIEW: Head-Direct RE2 IEM and Fiio E5 amp - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #113 of 130
I need to admit that because of this forum I've improved my music rig and I'm really satisfied
smily_headphones1.gif
You can think I am a noob, and that's true as I have no comparison to better equipment but after reading you suggestions I made my choice. Larry - you input was really the most influential! Thank you!

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #114 of 130
Larry, I cant remember how well the uDAC performed with various IEMs, but as a $99 'transportable' that will drive many fullsize cans, I have to wonder if its even better VFM than the Icon Mobile ? Those looking for a cheap portable may be better served by the T3 at around the same price.

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #116 of 130
Did you buy an old used amp? Did you change to a different headphone plug? Sometimes you can't plug fat plugs all the way into the headphone jack of the very early models, without trimming the black part of the case around the jack. I discovered the problem and they made changes in the case right away.

Otherwise check your source and cables, and then maybe contact Nuforce.

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #118 of 130

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so...would you describe the Icon's sound as bright...or neutral?

definitely not warm, right?

It's a little on the bright side of neutral via USB and computer, and I would say not warm but not thin, as it still has a neutral and present bass. It does get a little brighter via analog input which makes it good with a 2G Nano or with my Senn IE8 earphones. I can still enjoy it with HD600, ESW10, Westone 3, D2000, Edition 9. It could stand to be a little warmer with Grados, but with flats my RS-1 are acceptable. It is okay with Nuforce NE-7M doesn't pair well with NE-8 or Head-direct RE2 or AKG K240M, so I suspectit wont do well with Ety ER6i either.

doesn't pair well with NE-8

Is it true that the Icon Mobile doesnt pair well with the Nuforce NE-8, I have a pair of NE-8 and was wanting to draw out the bass a little when using it with my Cowon S9 (with EQ and setting putting a little emphasis on bass too).   

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #119 of 130

Quote:

Is it true that the Icon Mobile doesnt pair well with the Nuforce NE-8, I have a pair of NE-8 and was wanting to draw out the bass a little when using it with my Cowon S9 (with EQ and setting putting a little emphasis on bass too).   

For the NE8 you will want something more like the iBasso T4, PD XM5, or even a Fiio E5 for their bass boost and warm sound.  I'll have to try the NE8 with iBasso T3 later, as that is a warm amp but has no bass boost.  The E5 is my last choice because it's sound is less transparent sounding than an iPod headphone jack, but it has the right frequency response.  If you want to listen with a computer and the XM5 is too expensive, the original uDAC as a USB DAC/amp sounds good with the NE8, but I haven't tried the uDAC-2 with them although I suspect that would still be a match.

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #120 of 130

"For the NE8 you will want something more like the iBasso T4, PD XM5, or even a Fiio E5 for their bass boost and warm sound."

Unfortunately I already own a FIIO E5 and think its not really all that great with my NE-8. Kind of changes the music in a bad way, takes some detail and 'colours' the music. Doesnt really add bass but emphasises it disproportionately. Cant expect much from a £20 amp, so what it does offer for cheap headphones is great i.e. my philips £20 backup buds sound great through the FIIO. However for quality listening I need clear and accurate sound which I get in spades from the NE-8 however I find myself desperately searching for the bass and feel they lack impact. I thought the NE-8 would synergise perfectly with a Icon Mobile as they are by the same manufacturer but reading this thread I dont think this is the case.

Anyone who has used both can shed some light on the synergy of an NE-8 and a the Icon Mobile.

Ickle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back