Nuforce Icon Mobile: Early impressions
Sep 29, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #121 of 130
i did say " The E5 is my last choice because it's sound is less transparent sounding than an iPod headphone jack" - so that was not necessarily an endorsement of the E5.  Of course, you're welcome to ignore all my other advice.

Quote:
doesn't pair well with NE-8

Is it true that the Icon Mobile doesnt pair well with the Nuforce NE-8, I have a pair of NE-8 and was wanting to draw out the bass a little when using it with my Cowon S9 (with EQ and setting putting a little emphasis on bass too).   

"For the NE8 you will want something more like the iBasso T4, PD XM5, or even a Fiio E5 for their bass boost and warm sound."

Unfortunately I already own a FIIO E5 and think its not really all that great with my NE-8. Kind of changes the music in a bad way, takes some detail and 'colours' the music. Doesnt really add bass but emphasises it disproportionately. Cant expect much from a £20 amp, so what it does offer for cheap headphones is great i.e. my philips £20 backup buds sound great through the FIIO. However for quality listening I need clear and accurate sound which I get in spades from the NE-8 however I find myself desperately searching for the bass and feel they lack impact. I thought the NE-8 would synergise perfectly with a Icon Mobile as they are by the same manufacturer but reading this thread I dont think this is the case.

Anyone who has used both can shed some light on the synergy of an NE-8 and a the Icon Mobile.

Ickle.

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #122 of 130
I get the high pitch/electronic interference noise when using the USB also.  This is mostly heard on higher volume settings as well as between songs.  Quite annoying.  It would be nice to have a way to switch between battery mode and charge mode.  
I've also noticed a popping sound occasionally - it may be related to the headphone plug moving around a bit as replugging seemed to fix it.  The blinking LEDs are quite annoying also.  The uDac-2 does not exhibit such issues and such issues should not exist regardless of price.
Otherwise, great size, weight and sound is pretty good.

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #124 of 130

Quote:
NuForce has said that the amp section of the NuForce Icon Mobile and the uDac-2 are identical.  Anyone has any other information on this? Thanks.

The original uDAC used the Icon Mobile amp.  But, due to the different DAC sound the headphone out sounded different.  

The uDAC-2 headphone amp is a similar circuit but it's sound was tweaked to be more balanced.  It's less forward and more extended in the highs than the original.  I have tried a prototype uDAC-2 with the old amp and it was better than the original uDAC but not as good as the final amp design.

Mar 4, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #125 of 130
Thanks.  NuForce tech said that the uDac-2 and Icon Mobile have the same amp section...  The different DACs could still account for the SQ difference.  Either way, that would mean that the amp in the Icon Mobile is actually not that bad...

Mar 7, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #126 of 130
I actually preferred the DAC section of the Icon Mobile over the uDac1.

For my money, it sounded wayyyy better and I could use the amp section by itself which is another plus.

Mar 8, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #127 of 130

Quote:
I actually preferred the DAC section of the Icon Mobile over the uDac1.

For my money, it sounded wayyyy better and I could use the amp section by itself which is another plus.

I think the DAC in the Icon Mobile adds a little more contrast to the music than the DAC in the original uDAC (1), and it sounds a little brighter as a whole than the original uDAC.  But with the added contrast the Icon Mobile is a little grainier sounding, while the uDAC was a little more rounded on the edges.  It's still not too bright for me but it does sound a little more forward and bright when I would feed an iPod into the Icon Mobile than when using the USB DAC as source.  Skylab heard this as well.  So, in general I like using the USB DAC in the Icon Mobile more than analog input, and when I wanted a flat portable amp for my iPod I started using an iBasso T3 which was smaller (no DAC).

The nice thing about the original uDAC (1) is that you can get a decent line-out signal from it which sounds a little less forward and not as rolled off as the 1/8" output, so that it does a good job as a budget DAC for feeding a bigger amp.  The uDAC line-out was a little behind the D4 or Pico DAC in resolving power, but not by a huge amount.  The uDAC-2 line-out closed the gap for the most part (to my ears), and the upgraded headphone amp falls between that of the uDAC and the D4 now.  

I suggested once that they make an Icon Mobile 2 battery powered amp based on the uDAC-2, and I think it would be a nice portable if it still comes in well under the D4 price.  But the D4 with upgraded OPA1611 opamps from HiFlight sounds identical to my old RSA P-51 and can't be beat for the price.  I had to go up to a $399 DACport to beat it (which also sounds very similar to the Meier Stepdance which has no DAC).

Mar 8, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #128 of 130
I agree that the DAC/digital input of the Icon Mobile is better than the analog in - but that's simply a function of the not so great iPod SQ and DAC.  Anyone tried the Icon Mobile with the iPad with a USB input?

I second, that the Icon Mobile 2 outta be in the works with the uDac-2 DAC and amp sections.  That would be sweet.  I also like the T3 with IEMs but wish it has a built in DAC for convenience - wonder why iBasso doesn't do that OR why they don't make a flatter body for their amps - D4, D6, etc.  It is certainly doable as TTVJ Slim has shown.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #129 of 130
seems like this thread went dead a while ago... anyway like a poster above I am tempted by the IM because unlike most other pieces of equipment I could get it from a brick and mortar shop in my town. I really enjoy the uDAC-2 paired with my B&W P5s, which I find sound a bit lifeless when plugged straight into my macbook or my iPod.
So I was wondering if I would get something similar out of  the IM. (on a side note, a stupid question I need to get out of the way: I assume it is impossible to pair the uDAC with an iPod through a LOD? or could the iPod battery power the uDAC?)
thanks!

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #130 of 130
LOL, it's been 8 years, how's that burn-in coming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back