NuForce HP-800 ???
Feb 6, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #136 of 179
The dip appears much broader at 400Hz than what my ear hears. To me, it sounded like a fairly sharp drop from 300 into 400 Hz . Wow that's a nutty looking 300Hz square wave, though no surprise considering that's where things start to wobble. I find it very odd that the midrange THD improved as volume went up... 
size]

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #137 of 179
Quote:
The dip appears much broader at 400Hz than what my ear hears. To me, it sounded like a fairly sharp drop from 300 into 400 Hz . Wow that's a nutty looking 300Hz square wave, though no surprise considering that's where things start to wobble. I find it very odd that the midrange THD improved as volume went up... 
size]

Measuring THD is very difficult. 

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #138 of 179
Nice, didn't expect such a good looking FR graph (only if looking at graph I had probably wanted the lower-midrange from where the bass bump goes down to the slight bump at the upper-mids by ~3dB or so). Also it seems to have a very tight & punchy bass and resonance issues in the headphone seems not like a prob, may have to give it a listen and see how it fares against Q40, it is slightly bassier than Q40 though, about 10dB (very similar to Beats Studios) and Q40 is more like 8dB, so it may become just tiny bit too much.

If there's any place to get them in europe yet that is.

Feb 7, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #139 of 179
Quote:
Nice, didn't expect such a good looking FR graph (only if looking at graph I had probably wanted the lower-midrange from where the bass bump goes down to the slight bump at the upper-mids by ~3dB or so). Also it seems to have a very tight & punchy bass and resonance issues in the headphone seems not like a prob, may have to give it a listen and see how it fares against Q40, it is slightly bassier than Q40 though, about 10dB (very similar to Beats Studios) and Q40 is more like 8dB, so it may become just tiny bit too much.

If there's any place to get them in europe yet that is.

Sonically, these walk all over Beats Studio.  The quantity and quality of bass is superior.  The mids and highs go without saying.

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #140 of 179
No, not bad at all. In fact, very good. And I find they have a different character depending on the amp used. With the PS Audio GCHA, it is rather warm and bass loaded, and on the Graham Slee NOVO the bass is lighter and a bit more midrange presence.

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #144 of 179
That's the craziest looking square wave I've seen from a headphone I still enjoy.... Weird. 

Btw I had no idea that Tyll had a set for measuring and I promise I do not get any type of special access to that sort of thing - I see it all at the same time as you folks. I thought for sure the measurements and/or another user would show me to be mistaken about the 400Hz "dip", that it was really centered somewhere else (maybe lower?). So I'm surprised that several of us figured that out pretty accurately. Apparently these ears still work fairly well.

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #146 of 179
I realize most of you are veterans on this board. I have a health issue that prevents me from contributing as much as would like. Involves Chronic Pain and fingers get tired & painful, so it takes a while to type anything on my iPod touch and then numbness, followed by very intense pain, so I have to piece it together, minutes at a time.... I have been an audiophile and Electronics Engineer, before succumbing to this health issue 8 years ago. So bad, I was forced into long term disability and it just got worse from there!
In any regard, I really enjoy the comments and reviews from different people here, especially Armaegis, Craigster, Beagle..... Nice to see others with a cerebral, honest view of audio. Refreshing!
I'll have to admit that I have been a Nuforce Nutcase ever since the NE-6's were recommended to me. I also, has since got a pair of (the new & improved) NE-700X's, that just hit the online store in Feb. instead of a shiny light blue, they are more of a matte gun-metal grayish-blue. Needed them, as others went missing, but honestly cannot tell a lot of difference, which, too me, is a great thing! Thee originals were spectacular in it's audio signature and had the tightest most REAL bass of any earphones I have ever owned, even at 4X's the $$$....... I ended up getting an ICON iDO DAC/Can Amp for my itouch and it sealed the deal! Great amp for my itouch and the output running to my home A/V RCVR rivals all but my Oppo DVD-Audio and the new Blu-ray audio processors, such as DTS HD Master Audio, just to name one.
Now to my input on the NU Nuforce HP-800's I have had for a month now! Call me insane in the membrane, but after really breaking them in I have to honestly say that the Engineers at NF never cease to amaze me! Actually, I believe I am losing my mind, but keep it between us, OK? For $149.00, after my previous experience with this relatively newer Audio Manuf., Nuforce, I was expecting to have a real HIFI inspired audiogasm, due to my Audiophiliac tendencies!
After a month, I agree with the audio knowledgable music lovers in this Forum, they sound pristine to my old ears and the comfort factor is "off the chart"! I don't know what they used to cover those comfort foam ear pads, but when I first got them, they actually feel like REAL skin..... Eerily so...... But once they are on my head they feel connected to my ears.
Armaegis, loved your comprehensive, accurate review! Great stuff.....
The only thing I disagree a little with is that these are Bass-heavy, maybe at first, a little. But after proper burn-in they produce tight honest Bass that you can almost feel, at very low frequency, (which these reproduce with the best of them) than hear! That's the way Bass is suppose to sound, not muddy or boomy at all, IMHO! Everything else is my opinion, duplicated! I don't think you could come close to ANY other Can at this price! In fact, I had a pair of AKG-701 (I think) Quincy Jones Signatures that are 3X's the price (I had to get those jazzy, lime green ones). I can honestly state that I prefer the HP-800 more, especially the tight low frequency responce! And they are more comphy. I had the fancy AKG's for 5 months s and the clear plastic guides on the auto-adjust headband were already cracking. Sold them to my son!
NuForce's Customer Service has also been very awesome! Fast response, get all the RIGHT answers!
I have been listening to the new Steven Wilson's "The Raven that Refused to Sing... and other stories", which is AWESOME and these phones make his work shine! Alan Parson engineered & mixed it, so I was expecting good things, but Steven Wilson is the "new" Alan Parson's in his own productions! He has help remaster and remix into 5.1 the first 4 King Crimson recording's and a LOT MORE!
All in all, I am VERY pleased with the overall audio qualities of NuForce's first venture in O-T-E Cans! Truly a GREAT but at $149.00!
All IMHO, as I am new here, but hope I can contribute more!
I have already torn the phones all the way down, on one side, and am pretty confident I can MOD these to even sound better!

I am suffering from Gravity Eyelids and must hit the hay!
Thanks for listening! One more thing, as long ass I power these with the ICON iDO, no distortion at all! But, I am in my 50's now, so maybe I just can't hear it anymore, after blasting and going to many concerts over the years, my ears are kinda shot, but at least my consensus with you guys gives my ears hope!

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #147 of 179
I agree they are very nice headphones, particularly for desktop use.  I really liked their comfort and as a basshead really like their sound.  I was looking for something more portable that could be driven to higher volumes outdoors without distortion and isolate better.  Otherwise, I think they have a great sound and full, fun bass.

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #148 of 179
Quote:
I realize most of you are veterans on this board. I have a health issue that prevents me from contributing as much as would like. Involves Chronic Pain and fingers get tired & painful, so it takes a while to type anything on my iPod touch and then numbness, followed by very intense pain, so I have to piece it together, minutes at a time.... I have been an audiophile and Electronics Engineer, before succumbing to this health issue 8 years ago. So bad, I was forced into long term disability and it just got worse from there!
In any regard, I really enjoy the comments and reviews from different people here, especially Armaegis, Craigster, Beagle..... Nice to see others with a cerebral, honest view of audio. Refreshing!
I'll have to admit that I have been a Nuforce Nutcase ever since the NE-6's were recommended to me. I also, has since got a pair of (the new & improved) NE-700X's, that just hit the online store in Feb. instead of a shiny light blue, they are more of a matte gun-metal grayish-blue. Needed them, as others went missing, but honestly cannot tell a lot of difference, which, too me, is a great thing! Thee originals were spectacular in it's audio signature and had the tightest most REAL bass of any earphones I have ever owned, even at 4X's the $$$....... I ended up getting an ICON iDO DAC/Can Amp for my itouch and it sealed the deal! Great amp for my itouch and the output running to my home A/V RCVR rivals all but my Oppo DVD-Audio and the new Blu-ray audio processors, such as DTS HD Master Audio, just to name one.
Now to my input on the NU Nuforce HP-800's I have had for a month now! Call me insane in the membrane, but after really breaking them in I have to honestly say that the Engineers at NF never cease to amaze me! Actually, I believe I am losing my mind, but keep it between us, OK? For $149.00, after my previous experience with this relatively newer Audio Manuf., Nuforce, I was expecting to have a real HIFI inspired audiogasm, due to my Audiophiliac tendencies!
After a month, I agree with the audio knowledgable music lovers in this Forum, they sound pristine to my old ears and the comfort factor is "off the chart"! I don't know what they used to cover those comfort foam ear pads, but when I first got them, they actually feel like REAL skin..... Eerily so...... But once they are on my head they feel connected to my ears.
Armaegis, loved your comprehensive, accurate review! Great stuff.....
The only thing I disagree a little with is that these are Bass-heavy, maybe at first, a little. But after proper burn-in they produce tight honest Bass that you can almost feel, at very low frequency, (which these reproduce with the best of them) than hear! That's the way Bass is suppose to sound, not muddy or boomy at all, IMHO! Everything else is my opinion, duplicated! I don't think you could come close to ANY other Can at this price! In fact, I had a pair of AKG-701 (I think) Quincy Jones Signatures that are 3X's the price (I had to get those jazzy, lime green ones). I can honestly state that I prefer the HP-800 more, especially the tight low frequency responce! And they are more comphy. I had the fancy AKG's for 5 months s and the clear plastic guides on the auto-adjust headband were already cracking. Sold them to my son!
NuForce's Customer Service has also been very awesome! Fast response, get all the RIGHT answers!
I have been listening to the new Steven Wilson's "The Raven that Refused to Sing... and other stories", which is AWESOME and these phones make his work shine! Alan Parson engineered & mixed it, so I was expecting good things, but Steven Wilson is the "new" Alan Parson's in his own productions! He has help remaster and remix into 5.1 the first 4 King Crimson recording's and a LOT MORE!
All in all, I am VERY pleased with the overall audio qualities of NuForce's first venture in O-T-E Cans! Truly a GREAT but at $149.00!
All IMHO, as I am new here, but hope I can contribute more!
I have already torn the phones all the way down, on one side, and am pretty confident I can MOD these to even sound better!

I am suffering from Gravity Eyelids and must hit the hay!
Thanks for listening! One more thing, as long ass I power these with the ICON iDO, no distortion at all! But, I am in my 50's now, so maybe I just can't hear it anymore, after blasting and going to many concerts over the years, my ears are kinda shot, but at least my consensus with you guys gives my ears hope!

Thank you for your observations! And I must look into that new Steven Wilson....I really liked Grace For Drowning, and, of course, Porcupine Tree.

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #149 of 179
Wow Beagle..... It's small world after all!
PT IS my favorite band, since being turned on to them 8 years ago! I have A LOT of their stuff and all the Steven Wilson solo's. if you like Grace for Drowning, you will LOVE his new The Raven that Refused to Sing!
It exceeded all my expectations. You will also have to get his Grace for Drowning Solo Tour Blu-ray "All You Deserve", if you have Home Theater, especially! I believe it was recorded on your in Mexico City or at least in Mexico somewhere. He has a stellar band that he shandy picked to tour with and used the same musicians to record "Raven"! The "All You Deserve" Blu-ray is not only an audio delight, but Lasse Hoile (who does most of the Eerie Artwork for him, had control of producing and running the video effects & lighting. He pulls it off very well. It's almost hard to tell what kind of effect he has incorporated at the start of the show, but after looking closely, he uses a very fine mesh type of curtain in FRONT of the band's stage and projects almost ghost like visuals on to it. It drops half way thru and then uses background video and the lighting is also very cool, of course!
If you have never seen PT's live Blu-ray, "Anesthetize" it is a MUST SEE/HEAR concert shot in Europe and S. Wilson

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #150 of 179
CONTINUED due to shaky hand:
S.Wilson had complete control over the video and audio engineering & production of it, and it literally sets a new standard for Concert Quality production & mixing! Best Live Concert Blu-ray I have ever viewed/heard!
He masters the art of capturing all the members in very tight video positioning, so you can hear and see the intensity & realism from angles never used in a concert video before. You can really see just HOW GREAT each of the band members are live! And the sound production quality is stellar Wilson!
The first 1/2 of the concert is the studio album "Fear of a Blank Planet" from start to finish (one of my fav studio albums from PT) and the rest just as good.
PT also just released "Twisted Octane"! A 2 CD live rendition from Chicago of "The Incident" front to back and a bunch of great highlights recorded during their landmark show at The Royal Albert Hall, in London recently. I was lucky enough to grab the Special Edition from Burning Shed, their distributor in the UK, which includes an extra DVD of the Chicago Show. You still may be able to get one, but their S.E. stuff goes pretty quickly. Then, if you want it, eBay at twice the price!
Concerning his newest solo release, IMHO it has to be chosen as Album of the Year in the UK/Europe arena! They appreciate Prog Rock so much more over their. And it has been and still is my favorite genre of music!
I don't know who he pulled it off, actually I do, he's a Musical Genius! All I can end with is just GO BUY IT! It is his best solo work yet!!!!!!
Always great to meet another PT/Steven Wilson fan.... I'm glad to see when others GET IT! They are each truly great musician's in their own right and magic together!

Prog On, Beagle! Also, check out Anathema's latest ethereally Prog masterpiece, "Weather Systems"! Great stuff for your favorite Cans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back