NuForce HP-800 ???
Feb 1, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #106 of 179
I haven't really kept up with any Ultrasone threads in a while. The Sig pros seem to be fairly well received (more than the editions at any rate). I've heard the HFi 450 (as a rebranded Yamaha), and Pro 550/650/750. S-Logic just feels a bit weird to me overall, though I enjoyed the visceral rumble from the Pro750. I'm curious about the Pro900, but the 750 was verging on too much for me so I'm not sure if I would like the 900. 

The M100 just didn't suit my ears. It sounded all over the place. Most of the time when I play a frequency sweep I can clearly tell where the peaks and valleys are, but then in listening to music it's much harder to tell aside from general bass/treble heaviness. The M100 on the other hand made me do an immediate "what the?". Just the way the response played out was really odd to me. 

Right now my bassy needs are served by my modded T50rp and the HE-6. Both have J$ pads on them which gives extra rumble in the bass. 

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #108 of 179
Quote:
Maybe NAD Viso HP50.

Is it safe to say the Q40 bests the HP800?

Actually no.  I prefer the sounds of the HP-800 by a decent margin at normal listening levels.  However, at top volume, the Q40 is a better performer.  The two headphones are also on opposite ends of the spectrum regarding comfort with the HP-800 at the top end.

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #109 of 179
Quote:
It pains me to say this, but I am returning them.  After extensive listening, I am picking up some midrange distortion at high volume as described in the PC World review.  I really loved the bass on these.  Lindsay Lohan might not be fair to the HP-800.  Maybe Sophia Vergara?

biggrin.gif

I am on the fence with these. I like, then I don't like. The Yamahas blow them to bits on balance and tonality but HP800 do have big fun factor.

Do you remember what Amazon's return time is, is it 30 days?

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #110 of 179
Quote:
biggrin.gif

I am on the fence with these. I like, then I don't like. The Yamahas blow them to bits on balance and tonality but HP800 do have big fun factor.

Do you remember what Amazon's return time is, is it 30 days?

I believe so, but I bought directly from NuForce and just shipped them back today.  If they had higher sensitivity and SPL, they would have been keepers.  Their bass is something uniquely special.  The problem is that most bassheads like their music LOUD.  NuForce should have taken that into account.

FOR ANY BASSHEADS WHO DON'T BLAST THEIR MUSIC- GET THEM!

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #112 of 179
Quote:
So the HP-800 has bass quantity/quality comparable with the Q40 but plays better at low volumes?

From memory, I believe the bass is even bigger on the HP-800.  Also, it's not just the bass.  I consider the sound of the HP-800 superior across the range at moderate listening levels.  Also, they go loud, just not that ear-blistering loud that some crave once in awhile.

Feb 2, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #113 of 179
I much prefer the sound of the HP-800 at low levels. They're a bit overwhelming for me at higher volumes. 

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #114 of 179
Quote:
I believe so, but I bought directly from NuForce and just shipped them back today.  If they had higher sensitivity and SPL, they would have been keepers.  Their bass is something uniquely special.  The problem is that most bassheads like their music LOUD.  NuForce should have taken that into account.

FOR ANY BASSHEADS WHO DON'T BLAST THEIR MUSIC- GET THEM!

It has always puzzled me......If the sound is huge at lower volume levels, then why the need to crank it up?

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #115 of 179
Quote:

It has always puzzled me......If the sound is huge at lower volume levels, then why the need to crank it up?

For me, I only listen at crazy loud levels during exercise to get the adrenaline going.  I listen at much more reasonable levels when chilling out and the HP-800 has no distortion problem during normal or well above normal levels, but when listening to Nicki Minaj while on the treadmill at about 90% volume on my V-Moda Vamp (which isn't saying all that much since it is only 150mw/channel), I picked up distortion.  My M-100 is still clean at those levels.

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #117 of 179
Quote:
hmmm.... to get the NU's or ue6000.... hmm... someone enlighten me who has a pair of both
biggrin.gif

I owned both and it is too close to call.  Highs extend better on the HP-800, also their bass is superior and bigger.  The UE6000 is more portable and does have the built-in amp as an option, but sounds great without batteries.  Both are top-notch on comfort.  UE6000 probably isolates better.

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #118 of 179
Quote:
I owned both and it is too close to call.  Highs extend better on the HP-800, also their bass is superior and bigger.  The UE6000 is more portable and does have the built-in amp as an option, but sounds great without batteries.  Both are top-notch on comfort.  UE6000 probably isolates better.

What would you say about the mids on Nuforce HP-800, less or more forward versus M100 and how does it compare to UE6000 which is a somewhat midforward / warm with lots of bass too.

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #119 of 179
hmmm interesting. Sort of want to pull the trigger on the NU's. The sound quality from what everyone has been saying so far seems pretty promising and more in the range of what I'm looking for. Going through the UE thread, it does seem like a fun can and relatively similar to NU's... i just cant justify the $50 more for the to UE.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #120 of 179
Quote:

What would you say about the mids on Nuforce HP-800, less or more forward versus M100 and how does it compare to UE6000 which is a somewhat midforward / warm with lots of bass too.

I didn't compare them back to back, but I'd say the mids are about par. Both have pretty strong bass presence, though I think the HP-800 is a smoother in presentation overall. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back