Nuforce HEM Discussion & Impressions
May 17, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #197 of 533
@jyri No worries! You make good stuff, only fair to comment on it. I've adjusted reasonably well to the large tips so far, helps they're good quality silicone. I will try get my hands on some spin-fits also. 

@nmatheis I can see but I'm not sure its a direct comparison to the FLC8 overall, its less airy. But you listen to a lot of guitar based music, right? I think both do really well with rock and metal, in different ways at times. Similar qualities in the mids, HEM 2 a little crunchier, FLC8 a little more liquid but similar attack and body and clarity. Might actually prefer the HEM 2 for the heavier stuff, more mid bass quantity but still controlled, can pick it out while taking a slight back-seat to the glorious guitars.

I still want to snap up a HEM 8 at some point. Interested in the similarities and differences. Got a CA Nova coming like yourself too haha so that will be another comparison.

May 17, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #198 of 533
ajaxender: Similarities are there for me with FLC8S with red-gray-gold. Of course it's not the same, but similar enough that I was immediately drawn to HEM2. Very nice IEM for the rock, metal, and electronic I listen to.

Where're you at right now? If you're in the CONUS, I could lend you HEM8 for a bit. Let me know.

May 17, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #199 of 533
Similar all-rounder qualities, for sure.

I'm in New Zealand so thats a no-go. I feel pretty safe about buying them without audition at this point though. Just picking the right time between other purchases (even non audio purchases haha). 

May 17, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #201 of 533
I can't make comparisons, but - Amazon is the only place I know you can buy them, and the 2 is currently about $150. Absolutely worth that price if you're interested. If the others had the same discount I'd probably have bought an 8 already haha. 

May 17, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #202 of 533
I can't make comparisons, but - Amazon is the only place I know you can buy them, and the 2 is currently about $150. Absolutely worth that price if you're interested. If the others had the same discount I'd probably have bought an 8 already haha. 

Just curious if that SQ from 8 can easily beats SE846 wow, sure I buy :p

May 17, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #203 of 533
Then I am certainly of no use to you 
tongue.gif

May 17, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #206 of 533
Anyone know how the Westone UM Pro 50 compares to the HEM8? Bout of a random comparison, but have a chance to pick them up for a very decent discount so wondering if I should try the totl HEM model or look at the Westone. Any comparisons out there?

May 18, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #207 of 533
Took delivery of some HEM4s today - impressions (and my take on a comparison with the HEM2) should be up in a few days.

May 18, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #208 of 533
@nmatheis @Armaegis Just been doing some quick A/B on the 2 and 4 in between burning in the 4s on my Clip and noticed something a little unusual in terms of how they compare. I gave the 4s a quick initial listen, and my brain registered the sound as a little clearer and a little less bassy/full of body than the 2s. I have a Brainwavz Ap0001 mini-amp knocking about I use on flights for the dual headphone out option so myself and my girlfriend can listen to the same movie on a tablet, so I connected both the 2 and the 4 to the two HO sockets and listened to the same track from my phone with one shell from each IEM in my ears.

I was expecting to hear the 4 to have less bass presence than the 2 (as previously noted by my own ears), but playing them in "stereo", I couldn't notice an audible drop in bass volume on the 4. If anything, bass extension on the 4 seems better right down at the sub-bass end of the scale - I could notice a sharpening of details and slight raise in the mid-range in terms of presence and/or volume, though. I haven't seen a frequency graph for the 4 (not that I know how to read them properly yet anyway!), but could the increased perception of mid-range be responsible for hearing the 4s as leaner when you A/B them the traditional way as the extra mids tilt the sound into more of a slight "n" shape compared to the reasonably flat warmth of the 2s?

The sensitivity of these two is the same, and the impedance is actually higher on the 4 so would expect it to be harder to drive, so I wasn't too worried about volume matching as the 4 doesn't seem to be lagging behind in terms of output volume - it wouldn't be possible on the splitter I am using without messing with the L/R balance but didn't seem noticeably different anyway. Apologies for the rambling post - just wondered if either of you were interested in commenting as you have both heard the 2 and 4?

May 19, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #210 of 533
I definitely hear HEM4 as leaner than the rest of the lineup. If you could hear the rest, you'd find that bass quantity is a lot (and I mean a lot) more similar across the rest and HEM4 stands out as being different. I'll PM you a secret smoothie :wink:

Haha, "secret smoothie." I think I know what that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back