NuForce HDP vs Burson HA-160D
May 17, 2011 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Yoga

1000+ Head-Fier
In the UK, the HDP is £300. The 160D, £800 (if the store is even legit, if not, £995).

I was close to pulling the trigger on the 160D earlier today, until I accidentally stumbled upon the HDP. It gets incredible reviews all over the net, from both experienced enthusiasts and industry professionals.

£300 is a lot easier to stomach than £900 (as an average of the two), literally a third of the price.

Is the 160D three times better than the HDP? Three times the dynamics, reverb, tonality etc. etc. etc?

I'm wondering whether it would take experienced ears to really find/appreciate the differences. The law of diminishing returns springs to mind.

I'm tempted to go for the HDP with a set of HD650's, which from what I've read, are a great pairing (£350 saved). I'll also be driving Dynaudio MC-15's (active studio monitors) during the day via RCA. If the 160D is really that much better, i.e. blow-your-socks-off better, I'll happily go that route.

Some experience/wisdom/advice would be very much appreciated. I'm new to all this :¬)

I was using a Beresford Caiman before. Mac/ALAC system. HD595s. Also considered was the budget Matrix Mini-I and the Apogee Duet 2.

May 17, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 7
It sounds like you still have a bit more research to do before making a decision, but that is probably half the fun in this hobby. 
bigsmile_face.gif

My current setup uses my PC's optical out with CDs ripped to FLAC or 320 kbps MOG music subscription streams > a Nuforce LPS-1 linear power supply with the Icon HDP DAC/Amp > Denon AH-D5000s with J-Money lambskin ear pads (version 2)

I listen to all kinds of music across practically every genre, which is a big reason for me having to keep a music subscription service.

I did use a pair of HD-595s with the Icon HDP for a few months, without the linear power supply and using the computer's usb output rather than my current optical connection.  Everything just felt a bit anemic, like chewing great-tasting food, but spitting it out rather than swallowing it.  I was so turned-off by the experience that I vowed not to make my next headphone purchase a Sennheiser, after initially deciding on the HD-595s because my portable PX-100s were such an amazing value for the price and size.  I even preferred the PX-100s over my Grado SR-80i's with my HeadRoom Total Airhead amp and Sansa Fuze mp3 player.  After a lot of reading, I settled on the Denon D5000s that I now have, and I do enjoy them very much.

I have an Antec 900 computer case with the fans set at the medium speed, and my measured background noise is about 45 dB using a sound level meter; so I suspect that any headphone that isolates, even if only a little, has an advantage over a purely open set of cans in my listening environment.  That said, in your situation, a different set of headphones would almost assuredly have a greater impact on your sound quality than anything an amp or DAC might be able to improve. 

The Icon HDP is great little unit, but I really don't think it has the right amount of punch for my tastes.  I'm actually looking to get the Burson HA-160 headphone amp and using my Icon HDP as the DAC and pre-amp.  The specs that I can see indicate that the Burson is about 3-4 times as powerful.  Because you need an option for your excellent studio monitors, it does not make a lot of sense for you to try and use a similar setup, that being an Icon HDP with an HA-160 amp.  You will need the pre-amp RCA output for your powered speakers.

Might I suggest that you continue to use your Caiman as a DAC, since I believe it will provide a pre-amp output for your MC-15's while also supplying the source for a Burson HA-160 amp.  The DAC will probably provide the least amount of measurable sonic improvement.  You already have a good DAC.  I say get the HD-650 cans along with the HA-160 headphone amp.  The Burson DAC-only unit can be purchased later if the Caiman is just not doing it for you, but until then, you can grab a nice set of headphones that you can keep or sell later, along with a nice, versatile amp/DAC in the Caiman that you might find another use for, or perhaps sell it as well.

May 18, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 7
Thank you, sm, for your input. Much appreciated.

One thing to mention - the Caiman was returned a week or so ago; DAC-less at the moment. Hence both options being 3-in-1's (head-amp, pre-amp and DAC). Otherwise the 160 + 650 would have been an excellent option.

I am the kind of person who suffers from upgraditis. The poor man pays twice, as they say, which is why I'm inclined towards the HA-160D. Buy it and forget about it, and add nicer cans later. Hopefully LCD-2's if I can find some for a reasonable price in the UK.

As you say, the research part should be savoured, not rushed. Much to consider!

May 18, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
that's exactly what i've done, i've had asus xonar essence st before and i set myself a £300 budget for the amp/dac, amongst other dac/amp units l also considered the NuForce HDP  but in the end i reached the same conclusion as you,
why buy twice and lose the money that I could put towards something better.

oh and the website that sells them for £795 is definitely real ( angelsoundaudio right ?), i bought my Burson from there.

Dude, thank you. Although my wallet doesn't like you so much :D

I prefer musicality over analytical sound. How do the 702s pair with the Burson? Can get 701's for £160, which seems a bit of a bargain. Still very tempted by the HD650's though, as I've read many great things about them with the Burson. 

May 18, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Is the 160D three times better than the HDP?

I've owned the HDP and found it "decent" but not much more than that, a good budget do-it-all solution. The Burson on the other hand I think is a real bargin for what it delivers... the entry price to high-end doesn't get much lower than that.

May 18, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
I've owned the HDP and found it "decent" but not much more than that, a good budget do-it-all solution. The Burson on the other hand I think is a real bargin for what it delivers... the entry price to high-end doesn't get much lower than that.

This is the conclusion I've come to, I was being (financially) optimistic with the capabilities of the HDP. The HA-160D will be ordered very shortly :¬)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back