NuForce Cube headphone amp, DAC, and speaker.
Jun 4, 2012 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bengold

New Head-Fier
So, I have a few pairs of headphones that I'm very happy with (Etymotic ER-4Ps, Sony MDR-V6, and Bang & Olufsen A8), but since I'm primarily using them to listen to music on my MacBook Air, which has an integrated Intel soundcard, I've finally decided that I should spend a little money on an AMP and DAC to make them sound even better.

I bought Nuforce's new cube with is a headphone amp, DAC, and speaker. I know a jack of all trades device like this is usually a master of none, but it seemed interested and I like the idea of a DAC and amp combined and I'm looking to spend under $200. I figure I'll try it for a week or so and return it if it sucks.

Has anyone tried this thing yet?

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 4
If your primary objectives are DAC and headphone amp, you should buy the well reviewed and liked uDAC-2, can't go wrong with ti.
Cube main strength is the speaker quality (see review on http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2012/06/01/review-nuforce-cube?page=0,0)
But then if you want a good DAC (only up to CD quality) and headphone amp plus speaker, you made the right decision :)

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 4
Jason, I'm looking for something to hook up my iMod to in my car.  I tried the Podio, but the sound was too tinny, volume was not loud enough, and it was really bothersome to my ears even after a short listen.  Is the cube a viable solution?  I know it's monaural, and is supposed to be bass light - but still, I wonder...  I may be using it primarily, but not exclusively, for audiobooks.

Alternatively, can you suggest something small and portable that might work (stereo possibly)?   I have an older car, so no auxiliary jack, that's why I'm looking for something like this (and don't want to drill or add something permanent to my car only to lose it when I sell it down the road)...

Thanks.

Aug 3, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back