Now thats what I call synergy!
Aug 10, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #16 of 20
ID,
Congrats on the 650. It is a great headphone that stays in the natural realm of things. And of course we all know that pretty much no headphone can have the visceral bass attack that the 770 provides. But I've found that the 650 can come close a lot of the time, which is amazing given the fact that it so very easily does everything else so extremely well at the same time. As for the soundstage, I feel that only the K1000's produce the nicest, most accurate/realistic soundstage of all headphones. The CD3k's are just too fake in that category for me. It's like it strives to create something that's not there and wasn't suppose to be there in the first place giving songs that aren't suppose to have much soundstage, a huge amount of it. I don't like that at all because, at times, it takes away from the overall sound. The 650's do it perfect for me...not too much and not too little. They don't have a tremendous amount of depth, but they do have a tremendous amount of width in soundstage. If there is one thing I can identify as having quite a bit of width with the 650's, is when you have a rock band that has all the guitarists (and any other instruments) and vocals upfront, with the drums behind...then it is plainly obvious on the 650s that the drums are behind the action! I agree about the mids too. They are the shinning force behind the Sennhieser house sound with the 650's. They pack so many attributes all in one headphone, with regarding the midrange. It is silky smooth, rich and warm, punchy and fast (as you said), and as detailed as real life!! I'm glad you appreciate them as I get the feeling both you and I are hearing relatively the same thing...I noticed that in a lot of instances, I describe the 650's sound in a lot of the same ways you do. I'm also glad that you are able to have an aftermarket cable to try out with them. Any cable (even with Mr. Meier's cable, the Oehlbach) added onto the 650's just brings out more of what's already brilliant about this wonderful headphone, which further adds to its greatness. Even further, congrats on having the perfect combination of two headphones that do such a good job at complimenting each other! Same thing goes with regards to your amp and source...I'm glad you found such a lively powerhouse of a dac! Happy listening for years to come!
attachment.php
attachment.php

Aug 10, 2004 at 2:46 PM Post #17 of 20
I agree with Zeplin about the signature of HD650. The more I use them, the more I neglect CD3000. I particularly agree about the soundstage. It's just right. Imo, HD650 have speaker-like quality that makes CD3000 sound unrealistic in comparison.

Aug 10, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
That explains why I was a bit confused when I read that people felt the DT770s were bright, I just recently got the 80ohm version (from Asenashop BTW, great service) and they weren't bright at all.

I thought the same when I auditioned the DT770_80 at guitar center a number of months ago.

Aug 10, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #19 of 20
I am also in agreement with zeplin.

The natural sound of the Senns is really what makes them stand the test of time with my ears. They may not have the initial excitement factor of other cans, but I only become more happy with their sound the longer I own them. Conversely, when I bought a pair of grado 225's last year I was initially floored by the sound. A couple days later that feeling had mostly worn off, and a few weeks later I was back to using my HD600s exclusively (good thing I had't sold them). These days I can only tolerate the grados for short listening sessions once in a long while. I've decided that a lively (I say overhyped), bright sound is not conducive to long term listening enjoyment for me. Of course, that's not to say I don't think the Senns aren't exciting; they can make the transition from exciting & dynamic to soft and delicate in an instant as required by the recording. They just don't try to artificially make *everything* sound exiting which is a very good thing IMO.

The 650s do this even better than the 600s. At first I found the 650s too dark, but now they sound much more natural, while simultaneously having a faster, more detailed and tighter sound. Of course I still like the 600s as much as I ever have; it's just that I generally prefer the 650s now
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2004 at 4:27 PM Post #20 of 20
Highflyin, I see that you also have both grado 225s and AKG k240s. How would you compare the 770/80 to them in terms of detail and the quality of the bass? (I need some closed cans and am trying to decide between the 770/80 and the 250-80.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back