Now that it's a few weeks away - who's going to get an iPhone?
Jun 5, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #32 of 44
With an unlimited data plan though this thing will be awesome. I mean I guess we shouldn't discuss too many non-audio aspects of the phone but if you watch those videos on the apple site there is some exciting stuff going on with the UI. The way the user searches for a restaurant with the online map and simply finds the phone number and calls... so awesome.

Touch interface is infinitely more useable with multiple inputs too.

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #33 of 44
I still do not like convergance.

My cell phone is for telephone calls only. I have a Canon SD700IS for pictures, my iPod for music and music videos (and some movies), my PSP for games and some movies, my Dell Axim X51v for keeping my life in order, my laptop when I need a laptop. Each individual device brings it's own merits, and each device on it's own has much more room (memory, etc) for it's intended purpose, and I feel each device does a better job at what it does than any all-in-one device.

Technology is moving ever so fast, so I realize that someday I may change my tune. The iPhone isn't the answer for me to move to a converged item. Based upon what's on the market today, I'd say I'm a long way away from combining all of my items into one device.

The only small (relatively speaking) device that even sparked my curiosity for a moment is the OQO Model 2. It's the closest thing to bringing all of my devices together that I've seen, but still not good enough.

Jun 5, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #34 of 44
MP3 players and video game consoles didn't videos until recently. Are you comfortable with that convergence? I'm not trying to play the technicality game, but is that the difference between successful groupings and less successful? I have two friends that bought game consoles as DVD players (the gaming was icing). I certainly agree cell phone/computer convergence has gone particularly badly.

And Voltron, just make sure to share with your neighbors (for 30 seconds or so).

Jun 5, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #35 of 44
I love the convergence. That is one of the big attractions for me.

Like some others, I'm really weary of Apple quality. Large scale, it may be unfounded, but my personal experience with iPod's has not installed confidence, and first gen high tech in an utilitarian device such as a cell phone double my fears.

That said, if my quality and battery fears are put to rest, I'll pick one up in a Steve Jobs' minute.

I've never seen a more lust worthy gadget.

Jun 6, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #36 of 44
Its looks cool, but I have my doubts on the actual 'phone' part. They'll have to pry my Sanyo MM9000 from my dead hands would be the only way I would get rid of the best cell phone I've ever owned.

Jun 6, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #37 of 44
IF the iPhone even comes out in New Zealand, I would NEVER get it because the data prices are so INCREDIBLY CRAP here.

On the plan I'm on, its 1c a KB... When you go for the monthly fee thing, its $20 a month for 15mb...

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What open source OS is the Nokia E90 going to use?

Open source and open OS are two very different things
wink.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #39 of 44
The HTC Touch interests me much more.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/htc_touch/

But it does not have much storage capacity, but I'm sure that can be mitigated with larger flash cards.

But I'm not going to give up my iRiver anytime soon, since I use FLAC files.

Plus, the most important part of any phone is the Carrier. GSM works poorly in my neighborhood, and Sprint is much cheaper and offers a lot more features (like truly unlimited internet/data access, and unlimited txt msg). So unless Cingular/AT&T gets their act together, installs more towers, and offers competitive plans, I won't be leaving Sprint anytime soon.

As for the pure music function in the iPhone I see two big problems.

1. Battery life. The battery is not swappable. Although it is reported that it will have separate battery sections for multimedia parts and phone parts, they are still fighting for the same power, since it's size limits the amount of battery storage onboard.

2. Multiple radio antennas to introduce noise and interference. This thing is going to be chock full of RFI. With wifi, bluetooth, and cellular radio all a potential to degrade sound quality.

Of course, we won't know how well it performs until it's out in the public.

But I'm willing to bet that the battery life will suck ass.
I expect to see a lot of aftermarket battery packs and add-ons hitting the market for the iPhone.

-Ed

Jun 9, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #40 of 44
*sighs* I've grown a little complacent with all of this iPhone hype. It seems, more and more, that Apple doesn't really innovate as much as they take an existing product, make it pretty, and make it "user-friendly" (read: dumb/ dumbed down).

Here are the steps that go into making an iPod:

Step 1: Take a 2-3 year old smartphone and throw a little polish on it
Step 2: ...
Step 3: PROFIT!!!

*sighs*

I'll take my XV-6700 / PPC-6700 any day... especially since it can be purchased for $200-$300 nowadays. Oh! And you can replace the battery on it, among other things.

<rant off>

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not an Apple hater. I'm just tired of people coming up to me (I'm a geek) talking about the newest iWhatever like its something new. Its time for some innnovation.

Jun 9, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #41 of 44
Nope, a) Don't live in the US, b) has no 3g, c) has a paltry camera, and d) too expensive.

Not a fan of it, right now. Also, I AM SICK TO DEATH OF HEARING ABOUT THE BLOODY IPHONE!

Sigh.

Jun 10, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HTC Touch interests me much more.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/htc_touch/

Watching that vid makes one believe Jobs wasn't blowing smoke when he said the iPhone had a 5-year lead on the competition.
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #43 of 44
Knee-jerk reactions to hype are no different from hype susceptibility: Both are too distracted by The Pitch to assess the object itself. I'm amazed that people are so often boolean when it comes to notebooks, music players and cell phones. We all have several kinds of headphones -- why not other music-related devices?

I never buy the first iteration of an Apple product, nor do I buy at the original asking price. Nor do I commit until the experience of braver users bears out the product's stability and practicality, confirms that it would be the best tool for my purposes, and results in the necessary fixes, improvements and safeguards. If everything goes really well, then I'll consider picking up an iPhone in a year or three.

What interests me more than the iPhone itself is its interface. No doubt iPod users, who are overdue for an update, are wondering what's in store: a more practical screen for video, for example, since future players will have the option of using the control surface as real estate in full-screen mode. If the Invisible Shield works for the iPhone without problems, then the scratch issue of the touch screen will be resolved (though not, of course, by Apple).

Still: The iPhone's innovations seem not to have much to do with audio, and this is the Portable Audio Forum.

I myself have less use for an all-inclusive smartphone than I do for specific writing and music tools. Which makes me wonder whether the long-awaited mini-MacBook Pro will be recognizable as a traditional notebook if indeed it ever arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back