now Corda Opera what should be the next?
Mar 7, 2008 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

WittyzTH

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi folks

I've been using Corda Opera as the main home rig for a while. and now I feel I want to upgrade to something new.

However, I don't have any clue about what I should get.

here's the amp I'm interested in: Max amp/DAC Headroom Desktop module, Single Power MPX3, and RSA Raptor. (or possibly EC Zana Deux)

The Maxed Desktop Module Headroom really get my intention since it has the usb DAC as the Corda Opera.

I'm also impressed by MPX3 after auditioned it at the last Seattle meet, but I'm a bit more curious about RSA Raptor since I never tried and many people said it's a good amp for AT cans like W5000s.

Now I use Corda Opera or EMU1616M as DACs. So I can upgrade only amp now and purchase DACs later or get the new combo like headroom Desktop module.

So, any body have suggestion about this?

Thanks

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 19
My advice would be a high end tube amp. I think that the Opera is about as good a SS amp as you're going to find. Get a tube amp, and you will have something different!

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 19
Skylab, thanks for your suggestion. I'm actually looking for the tube amp, but the one I really want to have is a bit too expensive to me. (Zana Deux) and I have no idea about others.
frown.gif

ps. I want the amp which has the similar dimension as Opera because it can fit in my desk.

@Cankin:

I love b22's sound, but personally I prefer MPX3's over it.
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My advice would be a high end tube amp. I think that the Opera is about as good a SS amp as you're going to find. Get a tube amp, and you will have something different!

Is Opera really that good ?

Mar 7, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 19
Ricey20: that's a good point. I may go for tube. other choices sounds great but I don't want to go balanced for sure, and high-end ss (like Apache) is too expensive.
frown.gif

any suggestion for good tube amps that can surpass Opera.

Mar 7, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #10 of 19
also did you want a amp that only works very well with the W1k/W5k or did you want something that works well with many different cans but not necessarily the best with the W1k/5k, in case you were planning on getting other cans like senns or grados. From what i've heard Yamamoto HA-02 work well with W5k but not sure about other cans.

Mar 7, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #11 of 19
Well, I sold HD650 and bought W5000 instead.
smily_headphones1.gif
and not big fan of Grados. I just look for well-round amps.
wink.gif

Actually, I'm looking for many of tube amps - Yammy, Raptor, MAD Ear+, PPX3, MPX3, and Zana Deux.

I ever auditioned the MPX3 which is very great. So this can be one of my choice for sure, but I'm still looking for something else.

Zana Deux is what I pretend to buy also, but I still need more info about other amps because ZD is a bit over my budget and if there's anything as good as ZD in the lower price, it would be great.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I sold HD650 and bought W5000 instead.
smily_headphones1.gif
and not big fan of Grados. I just look for well-round amps.
wink.gif

Actually, I'm looking for many of tube amps - Yammy, Raptor, MAD Ear+, PPX3, MPX3, and Zana Deux.

I ever auditioned the MPX3 which is very great. So this can be one of my choice for sure, but I'm still looking for something else.

Zana Deux is what I pretend to buy also, but I still need more info about other amps because ZD is a bit over my budget and if there's anything as good as ZD in the lower price, it would be great.
smily_headphones1.gif

I feel that too man, I bought the HD650 to get a different sound, they sound terrible with my HA5000 though so waiting until my GS-X is finished before I make judgement. I can say though, I absolutely love my W5000 w/HA5000, sounds like heaven. GS-X is supposed to be a step up though and gonna balance my W5ks to see what they can do.

Side note: did you do the Fitz mod?
tongue.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #14 of 19
I'm using my W5000 with a RSA HR-2 and I absolutely love the sound. Very warm and plush, but still articulate. I prefer this combo to the ppx3 slam and the W5k. The slam had more bass , but the HR-2 is better at resolving detail and is a bit faster.

My next move may be a raptor or apache. I really like the rsa sound with the W5K.

Mar 7, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you looked into Rudistor amps ?

I did, but I want to try tube amps and Rudistor's tubes are a bit over my budget.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Side note: did you do the Fitz mod?
tongue.gif

I did. Originally my W5000 was Fitz's.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using my W5000 with a RSA HR-2 and I absolutely love the sound. Very warm and plush, but still articulate. I prefer this combo to the ppx3 slam and the W5k. The slam had more bass , but the HR-2 is better at resolving detail and is a bit faster.

My next move may be a raptor or apache. I really like the rsa sound with the W5K.

yeah I'm interested in RSA as well, but also have a doubt. Many people claims Raptor is good but not for the price.
confused.gif

Apache is interesting too, but it's over my budget.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back